The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Once again, you're destroying your otherwise defensible case with a show of incredibly thin skin. 

It would be thin skin if I was offended. I'm not, I'm simply pointing out that he's not practicing what he preaches.

Everyone flames people they believe deserve flaming. It's really odd to pick one thing out of this whole board to die on a hill over. 

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

"I can't argue with your feelings" is another flame. You're not demonstrating what you want me to demonstrate. Isn't that funny?

Well, it was sincere, but you can choose to take it the way you did.

Last time I'll respond on this since it's getting pretty off topic....but I am not telling you how you should communicate, or treat other people.  I am very self serving with many of my responses on this board.  I do call people out for no other reason than to make myself feel good for 5 minutes.  The only difference here is that I know that I am not being logical when I do this.  I am being emotional.  Had you not posed the question you did the way you did, I wouldn't have responded and we could all have the last half hour of our lives back.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Well, it was sincere, but you can choose to take it the way you did.

Last time I'll respond on this since it's getting pretty off topic....but I am not telling you how you should communicate, or treat other people.  I am very self serving with many of my responses on this board.  I do call people out for no other reason than to make myself feel good for 5 minutes.  The only difference here is that I know that I am not being logical when I do this.  I am being emotional.  Had you not posed the question you did the way you did, I wouldn't have responded and we could all have the last half hour of our lives back.

So we're just parsing the everloving heck out of words because I randomly chose to use the word "logical?"  

We've spent weirder half hours on this board. :D

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I believe your original point was that you saw no logical reason to NOT belittle people.  I think doing something that serves no real purpose would seem illogical.

Oh but it does serve a purpose. It lets them and others know (whether they act on it or not) that their behavior is unacceptable to some. And it also serves the purpose of expressing frustration and unacceptance.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It would be thin skin if I was offended. I'm not, I'm simply pointing out that he's not practicing what he preaches.

Everyone flames people they believe deserve flaming. It's really odd to pick one thing out of this whole board to die on a hill over. 

"I can't argue with your feelings" is not a flame. It's a cogent observation, given that the discussion is no longer about an issue but how we choose to argue it.  I can see you saying the same thing in the same situation, and you would not be wrong either. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

So what's the takeaway here, @Jason Sitoke  @Guy Chamberlin?

Are we saying that anti-vaxxers are snowflakes, so we shouldn't ridicule or make fun of them? I don't understand what the point is of this discussion.

The premise as I recall is that belittling people for their opinion doesn't change their opinion, and that's backed by science, too. 

You can do whatever you want if it makes you feel better. It makes me feel a little better, so I will continue with the venting and creative insults. I just won't pretend I'm out there changing opinions. 

It is worth considering how opinions are actually changed, and that's worth its own discussion. 

FWIW, I have not seen Jason Sitoke post anything either flame-ish or snowflakey. He's an interesting voice and I hope he sticks around. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The premise as I recall is that belittling people for their opinion doesn't change their opinion, and that's backed by science, too. 

You can do whatever you want if it makes you feel better. It makes me feel a little better, so I will continue with the venting and creative insults. I just won't pretend I'm out there changing opinions. 

It is worth considering how opinions are actually changed, and that's worth its own discussion. 

Was about to respond, but I can't say it any better.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I mean, we all agree that discussing facts and providing links doesn't help much either, right? 

And for the record, HuskerBoard is WAY more open to reasonable discussion than the internet at large. 

I like to go to Bama boards and post that Saban is not a good coach but has just been lucky.  Ends up with some pretty reasonable responses.  

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Shot:

Chaser:

These tweets were back-to-back in my timeline just now. 

I'm guessing that family thought it couldn't happen to them. Now their daughter is without parents.

Awful. 

Aunt and uncle are probably pissed.

I'm not sure that's true. Peer pressure and social norms are strong motivators. And I personally know people who have NOT gotten the vaccine because of family pressure calling them sheeple, traitors, etc. I'd like to see any scientific data that supports either conclusion.

Fair enough.

FWIW, I have not seen Jason Sitoke post anything either flame-ish or snowflakey. He's an interesting voice and I hope he sticks around. 

I'm not saying anyone here is being flame-ish or snowflakey, I was honestly trying to understand what was the point you two were making.