The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's enough to overwhelm hospitals. We've been in the Red for a while now because our hospitals are full. No elective surgeries.

We are also burning through trained healthcare providers. One in Five has left the profession since Covid, a significant number out of frustration. Note the doctors and nurses who say they have always rooted for their patients, but knowing they refuse to get vaccinated against all medical advice has been a morale crusher. 

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/workforce/about-1-in-5-healthcare-workers-have-left-medicine-since-the-pandemic-began-here-s-why.html

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

So...doctors resign and go do what?  

In my entire life I can say I have never met a person that "used to be" a doctor and then left that job.

Nurses, a few, most went into teaching nursing classes.  

I know a dentist that left his practice to teach dental school.

It worked out for Dr. Dre !

By the way, people are overhyping that halftime show. Sure the music brought back a lot of good memories, but the show itself was pretty lame.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

In my entire life I can say I have never met a person that "used to be" a doctor and then left that job.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, teachercd said:

A lot of people in lots of professions have chose to retire early.  I'm sure there are Drs that fall into this also.

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

A lot of doctors go into stand up comedy and star in movies like the Hangover.  I know of one that did that.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

I know a few former doctors. One was our family practitioner. He got fed up with the general state of healthcare and went into business based on having developed a new unique pasta shape. Another quit to start a microbrewery (understandable). Another quit being a chiropractor (is that a real doctor?) to preserve the function of his hands as he had bad carpal tunnel issues. I’ve heard of many more that just got sick of all the bs.

Having too much experience with doctors and healthcare, I would never ever want to be one today. They are brow beaten clerics that have to spend stupid amounts of time on paperwork, signatures and covering their a$$. I would imagine they don’t spend more than 5% to 10% of their time on actual healthcare or their patient’s well being. Probably not what they expected when getting into their field. I’d leave it in a heartbeat and never look back.

16 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I know a few former doctors. One was our family practitioner. He got fed up with the general state of healthcare and went into business based on having developed a new unique pasta shape. Another quit to start a microbrewery (understandable). Another quit being a chiropractor (is that a real doctor?) to preserve the function of his hands as he had bad carpal tunnel issues. I’ve heard of many more that just got sick of all the bs.

Having too much experience with doctors and healthcare, I would never ever want to be one today. They are brow beaten clerics that have to spend stupid amounts of time on paperwork, signatures and covering their a$$. I would imagine they don’t spend more than 5% to 10% of their time on actual healthcare or their patient’s well being. Probably not what they expected when getting into their field. I’d leave it in a heartbeat and never look back.

My experience is that doctor's rarely spend time on that bureaucratic s#!t. That's what the front office is for. Sometimes I have to explain to the doctor that we can't move forward with a procedure until I clear it with my insurance company, which will want use a different facility. Or maybe not pay for it at all. They just go "yeah, I don't know about that" and then act like they don't want to know. A lot of them are totally removed from what their patients have to go through. The women in the front office know all too well.

Doctors have also been notoriously slow to approve software and procedural upgrades that make the front office's job easier. 

We also learned long ago -- starting when our first pediatrician seemed a little busy and lazy -- that the nurse practitioners knew more than the doctors, and in that case actually advised us to ignore the doctor and take their advice. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My experience is that doctor's rarely spend time on that bureaucratic s#!t. That's what the front office is for. Sometimes I have to explain to the doctor that we can't move forward with a procedure until I clear it with my insurance company, which will want use a different facility. Or maybe not pay for it at all. They just go "yeah, I don't know about that" and then act like they don't want to know. A lot of them are totally removed from what their patients have to go through. The women in the front office know all too well.

Doctors have also been notoriously slow to approve software and procedural upgrades that make the front office's job easier. 

We also learned long ago -- starting when our first pediatrician seemed a little busy and lazy -- that the nurse practitioners knew more than the doctors, and in that case actually advised us to ignore the doctor and take their advice. 

I don't remember what type of community you live in.  But, your experience sounds more like a Dr that works in a large facility.  

I'm friends with a couple local doctors in our small town and I know they spend a ton of time on paperwork.  It's obviously a much smaller hospital and clinic than someone in a large community.

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I agree that they are completely out of touch with what things cost and insurance issues. But if you go to an emergency room or for outpatient surgery, you will get bombarded by any doctor involved, anesthetists etc. wanting your signature for everything under the sun. It compromises significantly more of the time they spend with you than actual care or discussion of the care. It is not near as bad in the doctors office setting.

I’m not making this up. Most recently my wife dislocated her elbow and the number of signatures actual doctors requested, before providing any actual care or pain relief, was stupidly excessive.

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

As a general rule for everyone else, please don’t follow this advice.  

• Plus1 2