The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

• 3 weeks later...

16 minutes ago, nic said:

I highly doubt they didn't want the vaccine because of their religion...

But regardless I'm not sure nurses should get an exemption anyway. They have to be regular vaccinated for various illnesses and tested for TB. It just a part of the job, much like being in the military means you get a laundry list of vaccines.

• Plus1 5

17 minutes ago, nic said:

Disagree.  I'd wager that in most cases "Religious exemptions" from non-vaxers are bogus excuses for their political decisions.  No one is forcing them to remain in the health care field.  We're all fortunate that Omicron bailed us out from Delta.

• Plus1 4
54 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Do you mind me asking what you mean by this?  

Omicron = more transmissible, less virulent, provided immunity from Delta --so Delta essentially went away because of Omicron.

Delta = high virulence (more hospitalizations, increased death risks, long COVID, etc)

I'm in no way minimizing any of the Omicron's strains.  Especially since they appear to be adept than Delta at resisting vaccination antibodies vs just waning immunity.  But Delta was bad and caused more lung effects that Omicron has so far.  We are fortunate with that.  I'm still going to be signing up for the first booster with BA.4/BA.5 protection, though.

3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Omicron = more transmissible, less virulent, provided immunity from Delta --so Delta essentially went away because of Omicron.

Delta = high virulence (more hospitalizations, increased death risks, long COVID, etc)

I'm in no way minimizing any of the Omicron's strains.  Especially since they appear to be adept than Delta at resisting vaccination antibodies vs just waning immunity.  But Delta was bad and caused more lung effects that Omicron has so far.  We are fortunate with that.  I'm still going to be signing up for the first booster with BA.4/BA.5 protection, though.

Thanks for the reply.   

reason I asked was I though Omicron put a wrinkle into the downtrend in Delta infections.   I could be miss remembering, but thought the vaccine was protecting good against Delta combines with previous infection was going to have Delta burn out.   Meaning Omicron would have been a net negative. But I could very well be misremembering. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Thanks for the reply.   

reason I asked was I though Omicron put a wrinkle into the downtrend in Delta infections.   I could be miss remembering, but thought the vaccine was protecting good against Delta combines with previous infection was going to have Delta burn out.   Meaning Omicron would have been a net negative. But I could very well be misremembering. 

I thought Omicron was more transmissible but less deadly. So, more people got it and built up immunity.