The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My opinion is that this will only happen for a while.  We all tend to relax over time.

Its why I said to some degree. Some folks won't take any precautions, even now. Some will relax but some are going to wear a mask until there is a vaccine. It may be a small difference, but it will make a difference. 

Just saw a piece on the local Denver news that the Denver Health Dept shut down a US Post office location because it had numerous Covid infected employees, weren't screening employees at beginning of their shift, weren't properly sanitizing and employees weren't wearing masks. The US Postal service ignored the closure order and told them they are only subject to the federal government. Could get interesting if anybody tries to push it. But I guess the lesson is, maybe be a bit cautious with any mail you receive.

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

All of you with college kids...what are the colleges saying to your kids?

My daughter is taking a couple summer classes online but, as far as I know, UNL hasn't said one way or the other about fall classes.

She had an internship set up for this summer in Overland Park, KS. They haven't told her much either except it won't be starting at the scheduled date (which was supposed to be in a couple days). I told her to cancel the Airbnb room she had for the summer. Now I'm wondering if there is any way out of the lease she signed for next school year.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:32 PM, schriznoeder said:

My latest check into the status of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine shows more promising news. Researchers are still on track to validate the efficacy in humans by June, and then having millions of doses ready for use by September. All 21 of my fingers and toes are crossed.

A bit of devil's advocate:

• Plus1 1

Well yeah, but.....operation warp speed. That means it’s big and fast :lol:

I think if a vaccine is possible they might accomplish this one faster than any previous but by the end of this year sure seems like a pipe dream. Serious question as I haven’t heard anymore about it but, is Gates still in the process of building 7 vaccine factories so that one or two may be production ready once they do possibly get an approved vaccine?

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

A bit of devil's advocate:

Couple initial thoughts as I try to be positive:

The mumps vaccine was created decades ago. I'd be shocked if the world isn't more capable of moving quickly now. We have loads of scientists who can use statistical methods they couldn't dream of back then because they didn't have the computational power.

HIV probably is only a good comparison if we simply can't figure out a vaccine. In which case they'll have to work on capacity and treatment methods instead. If we figure one out, implementation will be quicker.

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Couple initial thoughts as I try to be positive:

The mumps vaccine was created decades ago. I'd be shocked if the world isn't more capable of moving quickly now. We have loads of scientists who can use statistical methods they couldn't dream of back then because they didn't have the computational power.

HIV probably is only a good comparison if we simply can't figure out a vaccine. In which case they'll have to work on capacity and treatment methods instead. If we figure one out, implementation will be quicker.

Also what Oxford is working on, was working on even prior to Covid, is ground breaking s#!t. They were literally working on a vaccine for the next unknown pandemic, and luckily had tested their project on MERS which is closely related to Covid. Input genetic material for Covid and away we go. God damn, I love science. 

• Plus1 3

10 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Also what Oxford is working on, was working on even prior to Covid, is ground breaking s#!t. They were literally working on a vaccine for the next unknown pandemic, and luckily had tested their project on MERS which is closely related to Covid. Input genetic material for Covid and away we go. God damn, I love science. 

While I think we will see a faster vaccine than ever before, its really hard to imagine craming all the necessary testing in and getting it ready on mass scale by September. I'd venture to guess we will meet somewhere in the middle. It will be relatively fast, but not that fast. Hope I'm wrong. 

• Plus1 1