The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

You know, the worst part of this whole ordeal hasn't been quarantine, wearing masks, the alligator skin from washing your hands so often or constant use of hand sanitizer, businesses being closed, product shortages or any of those things that have caused us all so much inconvenience. The worst part is that people have found/created multiple ways to become polarized and partisan along some made up and ridiculous political lines.....over a frikken virus.....that obviously exists and is obviously dangerous. I heard on the radio this morning that it is actually a thing- if you wear a mask you are a liberal and if you don't that means you are a conservative. :facepalm: WTAF is this country going to be like in the future? People at the extremes of both sides have lost their f#cking minds. Where are the normal/average/sensible people and why does there appear to be so few of them. The big C doesn't stand for cancer or Covid or coronavirus, but rather clusterf#cked country.

I don't mean to politicize further but it seems to me it comes from the top down. In Australia and New Zealand, they are doing wonderful fighting COVID. Australia has conservative leadership while NZ has liberal leadership. Both countries put politics aside and said let's let the experts guide us through this. Everyone is on the same page. That seems to go a long way. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

An update on this.  The guy allowed his temperature to be taken this morning and he's here working.  I think he must have got to thinking about it and realizing we weren't going to back down.

He chose wisely.  

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't mean to politicize further but it seems to me it comes from the top down. In Australia and New Zealand, they are doing wonderful fighting COVID. Australia has conservative leadership while NZ has liberal leadership. Both countries put politics aside and said let's let the experts guide us through this. Everyone is on the same page. That seems to go a long way. 

I agree: our top "leaders" have given an such an amplified voice to bat$h!t lunacy and have fomented it across the nation. However, it makes me wonder... you know how big cities have been dealing with smog and air pollution for decades, but then it dramatically subsided within weeks of people going on quarantine? When (or if :ahhhhhhhh) these jackasses get voted out of office and we get a new administration in place, how quickly will some of those wackos crawl back under their rocks, similar to air pollution dramatically dissipating? I mean, there have always been a sizable amount of wackadoos dumbing down our society, but I at least look forward to them being less emboldened and a return to reasonableness from the top.

21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well...that is "down under" so it is opposite.  So really Australia has the liberal leadership and NZ has the conservative leadership.  

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

so...what you're saying is political ideology matters much less than personal accountability and moral leadership and character... 

who knew...?

15 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...schools are f#&%ed for a bit.

No one knows what to do yet.  Some are saying open but with masks...but how the heck do you keep masks on little kids all day?

Made me think of this

EXalgG_XYAAdkgE?format=jpg&name=large

• Haha 3
57 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The problem is, that is not politicizing, it is just common sense that our leaders and most of our people seem to be lacking. Anybody that chooses to believe Trump over numerous educated doctors is a moron. It’s easy enough to figure out that Trumpers know a bad economy will hurt his chances for re-election and that liberal Trump haters know a good way to keep him from getting elected is to make sure the economy stays in the tank. But damn, can’t everyone come to the realization that this pandemic and virus don’t/can’t give a sh#t about who gets elected? It’s a real thing and real measures need to be taken to minimize the damage on both the health and economic fronts. Slowing the spread of a virus that has no cure and no vaccine should be at least the one thing that everyone can see and agree upon....but not in this CF’d country. And yeah, a significant portion of that blame falls on our stuffed suit leaders. It’s as if truth and facts don’t even exist anymore. Everything is spun for some other reason. Sick of this sh#t.

• Plus1 2

Just had an argument with an employee;) I told him anyone who won’t wear a mask out in public is an idiot, just like people who wear them in their cars or in their house are idiots. His comeback- Dr. Fauci said masks do absolutely no good and the only reason they told us to wear them was to make us feel better. I asked him how anyone could contract the virus if it can’t get in their nose or mouth (luckily the eyes did not come up).  I have no idea if somewhere Fauci made a comment that was taken out of context but I do know that he came across it either on Facebook or one of his other prepper type sites. The thing I do know is that Fauci never once said an N95 does no good. Yet this fool shrugs his shoulders and still says masks are unproven and may not work. This guy isn’t a complete idiot on most things but is definitely ingesting many bad sources of information. It’s so frustrating.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Anybody that chooses to believe Trump over numerous educated doctors is a moron. 

And this has been Trumps biggest issue in all of this imo. His head is to big to just shut up and let someone else do the talking and nod along on the sideline. Sometimes we don't need the contarian view. Everyone hates being sheep but sometimes its good to be a part of a flock. If Trump were to just pipe down and echo what Fauci has to say things could be so much different. If he were to do something as simple as wear a mask all the time and say people should wear masks, literally everyone would be wearing a mask. Thats the unfortunate part of all of this to me. He really has more power than people give him credit for sometimes and if he just used that for the good of everyone during a time like this maybe people wouldn't hate him so much 

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Just had an argument with an employee;) I told him anyone who won’t wear a mask out in public is an idiot, just like people who wear them in their cars or in their house are idiots. His comeback- Dr. Fauci said masks do absolutely no good and the only reason they told us to wear them was to make us feel better. I asked him how anyone could contract the virus if it can’t get in their nose or mouth (luckily the eyes did not come up).  I have no idea if somewhere Fauci made a comment that was taken out of context but I do know that he came across it either on Facebook or one of his other prepper type sites. The thing I do know is that Fauci never once said an N95 does no good. Yet this fool shrugs his shoulders and still says masks are unproven and may not work. This guy isn’t a complete idiot on most things but is definitely ingesting many bad sources of information. It’s so frustrating.

I think the message early on was, "Masks are more important for our medical workers, not the general public, you don't need them at this time". I suspect they knew masks would be beneficial for the public, but if they said that, well you know what happened with toilet paper. Hospitals couldn't afford an even bigger shortage of PPE, and if you told people masks helped, well hospitals would have been seriously f'd. 

@JJ Husker and @FrantzHardySwag

I think some of the "confusion" comes from misinterpreting the main reason for the mask.  The employee is "kind of" right when saying Fauci said they won't prevent a person from getting the virus.  But many medical professionals have explained that the masks are very effective in preventing the spread through the air.  Either way, masks are an important factor in minimizing the spread from asymptomatic carriers.  Along with social distancing and washing hands.

What pisses me off is the fact that so many people hell bent on not wearing a mask want the economy back to normal today.  Well you know what, minimizing the spread is how we do that.  By ignoring effective measures just ups the chances that we are locked down again in July.  Like you said JJ, those people are idiots!

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think the message early on was, "Masks are more important for our medical workers, not the general public, you don't need them at this time". I suspect they knew masks would be beneficial for the public, but if they said that, well you know what happened with toilet paper. Hospitals couldn't afford an even bigger shortage of PPE, and if you told people masks helped, well hospitals would have been seriously f'd. 

i may have this wrong but my understanding was that the masks are not great at preventing us from catching the virus....but they are very effective at stopping the wearer from spreading the virus if they were  asymptomatic.   

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

@JJ Husker and @FrantzHardySwag

I think some of the "confusion" comes from misinterpreting the main reason for the mask.  The employee is "kind of" right when saying Fauci said they won't prevent a person from getting the virus.  But many medical professionals have explained that the masks are very effective in preventing the spread through the air.  Either way, masks are an important factor in minimizing the spread from asymptomatic carriers.  Along with social distancing and washing hands.

What pisses me off is the fact that so many people hell bent on not wearing a mask want the economy back to normal today.  Well you know what, minimizing the spread is how we do that.  By ignoring effective measures just ups the chances that we are locked down again in July.  Like you said JJ, those people are idiots!

Just to clarify, he didn't say non N95 masks don't do the wearer any good. I know that those are worn to help reduce the chance of spreading your spittle and they basically do the wearer no good. But this guy believes what Fauci said includes all masks, that a properly fitted N95 will do nothing for the person wearing it or for others. There are two possible explanations for that position; either the person is stupid and has no common sense or they are reading and believing things they shouldn't. I know he is otherwise a pretty sharp guy so I am quite certain he is getting it from his preferred ultra right pro gun prepper type sources.

The annoying thing is, a half way intelligent person can figure out that a mask that will filter down to a certain size particle can be used to prevent larger particles from ever reaching their nose or mouth. Wear the right filter properly, practice good hygiene and you can reduce your chances of contracting the virus to almost zero. It's not rocket science. And it also stands to reason that a bandana or cloth or cheap unrated mask can help reduce the particles you transmit to other people but won't be as sure-fire. But if I'm at the grocery store I'd sure rather have everyone attempting to do something instead of throwing up their arms and spouting that it does no good or it somehow infringes on their rights.

• Plus1 1