The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, GSG said:

Roll Tide!

Really sinking in how much people have taken the bait and begun blaming the media for lots of problems that aren't their fault because the Trump GOP models that behavior.

Alabama's opening week has been an absolute s#!tshow. It'll be interesting to see how they say screw it and go ahead with football anyway.

Also, who says "flicked off?" :lol:

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Welcoming thousands of 18-22 year olds to live on top of each other is a disaster that every university is fully anticipating. Enrollment will always be top priority though. Make it two weeks into school so that kids can't get a refund, count them in the enrollment numbers, then go remote and send them home to spread the pandemic there.

This country is so f#&%ing stupid.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
12 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Welcoming thousands of 18-22 year olds to live on top of each other is a disaster that every university is fully anticipating. Enrollment will always be top priority though. Make it two weeks into school so that kids can't get a refund, count them in the enrollment numbers, then go remote and send them home to spread the pandemic there.

This country is so f#&%ing stupid.

Are you saying that on-campus students won't get a refund for room and board? Most universities refunded students a prorated amount for room and board when they sent them home in the spring. I think most schools are trying their best to figure out how to keep kids on track to graduate on time. 

• Plus1 2

On 8/26/2020 at 9:02 AM, jaws said:

Are you saying that on-campus students won't get a refund for room and board? Most universities refunded students a prorated amount for room and board when they sent them home in the spring. I think most schools are trying their best to figure out how to keep kids on track to graduate on time. 

Never said anything about room and board.

Enrollment numbers are top priority. If any university announced a remote delivery plan from the start plenty of students would not have come to school. The university wants the kids to come to school, get them past the refund date, and ensure they count in enrollment numbers. Like any business, universities are incredibly number driven.

Unlike most businesses, they should have had support from the state and federal government to ensure they could continue to exist without introducing the clusterf#&% that is going to impact all of us.

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And...about 2000 dorks not wearing masks or distancing while hanging out on the lawn of the White House to listen to the Trump family speak.

like a falwell  getaway....2000 people stacked on top of each other and none of them wearing protection

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, mrandyk said:

Never said anything about room and board.

Enrollment numbers are top priority. If any university announced a remote delivery plan from the start plenty of students would not have come to school. The university wants the kids to come to school, get them past the refund date, and ensure they count in enrollment numbers. Like any business, universities are incredibly number driven.

Unlike most businesses, they should have had support from the state and federal government to ensure they could continue to exist without introducing the clusterf#&% that is going to impact all of us.

I don't know, I think enrollment numbers are important to schools but things like retention rate is just as important. A strong majority of students and faculty/staff want in person learning. If schools switch to remote learning, they will have a dip in retention. Also, at most brick and mortar schools, it is not really any cheaper for the university to go online only. There are still expenses that need to be paid and sometimes even more expenses to educate students. That is why it is hard to refund any money for switching to online only. If you want to have a discussion on why higher education cost so much to begin with, I think that could be discussed in another thread. 

2 minutes ago, jaws said:

I don't know, I think enrollment numbers are important to schools but things like retention rate is just as important. A strong majority of students and faculty/staff want in person learning. If schools switch to remote learning, they will have a dip in retention. Also, at most brick and mortar schools, it is not really any cheaper for the university to go online only. There are still expenses that need to be paid and sometimes even more expenses to educate students. That is why it is hard to refund any money for switching to online only. If you want to have a discussion on why higher education cost so much to begin with, I think that could be discussed in another thread. 

Yeah, retention is huge.  They spend a ton to attract students so the last thing they want is to lose the, once they get them on campus.

Max Kellerman Says Nothing but the Truth and it Drives Trumpers Crazy

There is more at the link, but damn :lol:

Kellerman’s full statement, to Stephen A. Smith:

“You made the argument a couple weeks ago, you thought if SEC football wasn’t played that could swing the general election because people in Trump’s base would be very upset that they didn’t have football, which is practically a religion down there. I disagreed because he would simply shift blame because the pandemic is raging. They seem to be susceptible to very low quality information and easy to propagandize and almost immune to facts.

“Because, as Kellyanne Conway, an advisor of Trump’s, said, they have alternative facts. If they stay in their propaganda silos — like the Fox News propaganda silo — it wouldn’t matter what happened because they’d say the handling of the pandemic has been great. The handling of the pandemic has been the worst in the industrialized democratic world, by far, in the United States, by far at a federal level, it’s been a disaster. And as a result, we’re dealing with this pandemic. And yet I didn’t think that would affect voters because the blame would be shifted.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1