The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Okay, when are you done wearing a mask?

Vaccine?

When you are "told" it is safe?

When your city/state lifts a mask mandate?

Never?

I have a feeling i will be wearing one this entire school year.  No matter what Nebraska, Omaha or the White House says.

I'm pretty sure when I get vaccinated, I would stop wearing a mask everywhere except where it's mandated.  Meaning, if Walmart still requires it, I'll still wear one and I have no problem with that.

I just got back from the weekend in Colorado.  Everyone in Vail had masks and I have no problem wearing one.  It really wasn't that big of a deal.  Wear my neck gator and when I'm around people, I simply pull it up over my face.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm pretty sure when I get vaccinated, I would stop wearing a mask everywhere except where it's mandated.  Meaning, if Walmart still requires it, I'll still wear one and I have no problem with that.

I just got back from the weekend in Colorado.  Everyone in Vail had masks and I have no problem wearing one.  It really wasn't that big of a deal.  Wear my neck gator and when I'm around people, I simply pull it up over my face.

Same. I wear a gaiter and it's convenient and pretty comfortable. I'll stop wearing it when I've had whatever vaccine they produce that has demonstrable effectiveness. Until then, mask up.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

There's still a potential though that you'll be able to transmit COVID post-vaccination, though.

The process of vaccination isn't a thing where your immune system necessarily completely destroys the virus in its tracks once you come into "real" exposure to it post-vaccination; you can still potentially be a carrier/spreader. It just prevents you personally from "getting the illness" - which is of course a figurative way of saying "not showing symptoms of the illness."

Mmmm....no.

The vaccine makes your body produce antibodies that fight the virus within your body, which prevents you from getting the disease.  But, it makes you much less likely to be carrying the virus.  This helps prevent spread.

This is exactly why the anti-vaxers are so dangerous with any of these diseases.  It's because they get it, their body doesn't fight it and they carry it around infecting other people.  If they were to get vaccinated, their bodies would fight off the virus, killing it and preventing them from infecting others.

WHO

Protection of the unvaccinated population

Herd protection

Efficacious vaccines not only protect the immunized, but can also reduce disease among unimmunized individuals in the community through “indirect effects” or “herd protection”. Hib vaccine coverage of less than 70% in the Gambia was sufficient to eliminate Hib disease, with similar findings seen in Navajo populations.29,30 Another example of herd protection is a measles outbreak among preschool-age children in the USA in which the attack rate decreased faster than coverage increased.31 Herd protection may also be conferred by vaccines against diarrhoeal diseases, as has been demonstrated for oral cholera vaccines.32

“Herd protection” of the unvaccinated occurs when a sufficient proportion of the group is immune.33 The decline of disease incidence is greater than the proportion of individuals immunized because vaccination reduces the spread of an infectious agent by reducing the amount and/or duration of pathogen shedding by vaccinees,34retarding transmission. Herd protection as observed with OPV involves the additional mechanism of “contact immunization” – vaccine viruses infect more individuals than those administered vaccine.10

The coverage rate necessary to stop transmission depends on the basic reproduction number (R0), defined as the average number of transmissions expected from a single primary case introduced into a totally susceptible population.34 Diseases with high R0 (e.g. measles) require higher coverage to attain herd protection than a disease with a lower R0 (e.g. rubella, polio and Hib).

Because of herd protection, some diseases can be eliminated without 100% immunization coverage.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Mmmm....no.

The vaccine makes your body produce antibodies that fight the virus within your body, which prevents you from getting the disease.  But, it makes you much less likely to be carrying the virus.  This helps prevent spread.

This is exactly why the anti-vaxers are so dangerous with any of these diseases.  It's because they get it, their body doesn't fight it and they carry it around infecting other people.  If they were to get vaccinated, their bodies would fight off the virus, killing it and preventing them from infecting others.

WHO

I edited my original statements to be a bit more high-level and I said that I hoped they'd attempt to confirm that the vaccine produced will or won't allow you to be a carrier.

We also don't know whether it will be a live virus vaccine yet or not.

Fair?

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

I edited my original statements to be a bit more high-level and I said that I hoped they'd attempt to confirm that the vaccine produced will or won't allow you to be a carrier.

We also don't know whether it will be a live virus vaccine yet or not.

Fair?

yes, there are lots of questions that need answered.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

yes, there are lots of questions that need answered.

I think another thing that's just so weird to think about is how many strains there are already. As in, are they potentially preparing the vaccine for a strain that will have run its course and overtaken by a more dominant strain once the vaccine is released.

This is a perennial challenge for producers of the flu vaccine.

Just now, Undone said:

I think another thing that's just so weird to think about is how many strains there are already. As in, are they potentially preparing the vaccine for a strain that will have run its course and overtaken by a more dominant strain once the vaccine is released.

I'm counting on people one hell of a lot smarter than me working on this.

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Undone said:

From what I've read (but it was awhile ago) Covid-19 changes more slowly than the flu.

9 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Lojik izz harrd...

Was she actually talking about Covid 19?

I hate these short clips. So easy to accuse people of being idiots...I’m hoping there was more to her quote after it cut.

if not, it would be terrifying to know there are people like that in our govt!