The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yet I provided links to fact check sites, CNN articles, and NYT articles.   Your saying the mainstream media is sewage?  Hmmm.  Very Trumpian if you.  

I've loosely followed the last conversation over the last few pages.  What point is everyone trying to make?

Some people will be a-holes about this pandemic whether Trump tells them to or not.  This is true.

Trump also did little to stress the importance of practicing mitigation methods to limit the virus causing many people who would of otherwise taken it seriously to claim "it's a hoax" (their words, not Trump's).  This is also true.

Business are being hurt by mandates. This is true.

Businesses were also being hurt before mandates because the pandemic is causing people to stay in.  This is also true.

I guess I don't see what the point of the last few pages is.  It just seems like people arguing back and forth just for the sake of it...

The USA is a s#!t show right now, and it's not going to get better until we have the ability to manage the healthcare needs for people.  That will hopefully come with a vaccine, but that is a long 3-4 months away, minimum.  Until then, stay well everyone!

• Plus1 3

These GOP governors long resisted mask mandates and coronavirus rules. Now their states are in crisis.

Since Covid-19 hit US shores, Republican governors in the Upper Midwest and Northern Plains have largely taken a hands-off approach. The results of that strategy have been poor.

When adjusted for population, no states have had more new Covid-19 infections, hospitalizations and deaths over the past seven days than North and South Dakota. The nearby states of Iowa, Wyoming, Nebraska and Idaho are not far behind.

This surge has pushed hospitals to the brink even as businesses have struggled to keep up a healthy work force. In response, several of these governors have acknowledged the failures of their permissive strategies and pushed for stricter health rules and mask mandates to prevent the virus's spread.

"We've relied on people to be responsible," Wyoming Gov. Mark Gordon said Friday, "and they're being irresponsible."

Yet other governors, including in South Dakota, have continued to resist taking actions like requiring masks.

Here's a look at how these governors have dealt with the fall surge.

Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts
Gov. Pete Ricketts, a Republican businessman who has served as governor since 2015, went further than almost any other governor in his resistance to mask mandates.

In June, he told local government officials that they won't get federal coronavirus relief funding if they require individuals to wear face masks in government buildings. He said masks should be encouraged but not required, and put the enticement of CARES Act money behind that position.

Months later, and still with no mask mandate, the state has seen huge surges in coronavirus cases. Adjusted for population, Nebraska has the fifth-most new cases over the past week and the third-most people hospitalized.

"This is a very serious situation for our hospitals, and we need to be a part of slowing down the spread of this virus," he said Friday.

The level of restrictions in the state are based on the state's hospital bed availability, but even the restrictions are fairly minor.

The state currently has 20% of its hospital beds taken up by people with Covid-19, putting it in the "Orange" status. That means bars and restaurants can remain fully open, while other indoor gatherings are limited to 25% of normal capacity.

Ricketts also asked people to wear masks but pushed back against statewide requirements, saying, "I am in favor of educating people."

He spoke Friday while self-quarantining at home with his wife after a dinner guest tested positive for Covid-19. He has tested negative for the virus.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

This s#!t along with the anti-vaxxers and their claim that Bill Gates has put a chip in the vaccine so he can spy on their measly, trailerpark lives as they swing around their smart phones (which is actually tracking you) is why this country will never get out of this pandemic. 

45 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And we have people trying to "both sides" this. It's sad.

And now she's getting death threats. Death threads for simply telling the truth. Every time my faith in humanity gets slightly more restored, it all comes crashing down in moments like this. Godspeed, Ms. Doering.

• Plus1 4
40 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Lots of schools doing Zoom only next week and then evaluate from there.

I think that we are just about to get the order to go all online.

Our District decided to go full remote after Thanksgiving till Christmas break.  Currently  in hybrid mode 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:52 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

Well now! It looks like it there was something to this after all. 

https://www.kcci.com/article/doctors-say-cdc-iowa-flu-map-data-is-misleading/34711624

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Lots of schools doing Zoom only next week and then evaluate from there.

I think that we are just about to get the order to go all online.

We are doing Zoom the week after Thanksgiving to give people a chance to monitor for symptoms after spending the weekend holiday with family before coming back to school.  But I've already signed pre-arranged absence sheets for Zoom classes because people are using the week to go on vacation...

I'm also anticipating that they will just tell us to stay home until after Christmas break to assess what's going on.  Our teachers have even told kids they have until Tuesday to finish "in-person" projects or to retake any "in person" quizzes because they shouldn't anticipate being back in the building until next semester.

28 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We are doing Zoom the week after Thanksgiving to give people a chance to monitor for symptoms after spending the weekend holiday with family before coming back to school.  But I've already signed pre-arranged absence sheets for Zoom classes because people are using the week to go on vacation...

I'm also anticipating that they will just tell us to stay home until after Christmas break to assess what's going on.  Our teachers have even told kids they have until Tuesday to finish "in-person" projects or to retake any "in person" quizzes because they shouldn't anticipate being back in the building until next semester.

I certainly do not envy teachers and the job they have had to do this year.  Managing both an in-person and on-line schedule would be very taxing. Combined with the everyday stress and worry of COVID in general.   

Thank a teacher if you haven’t already done so. 

• Plus1 2