The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

20 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Yep. Italian doctors are pretty much in triage mode at this point since they're overwhelmed and sadly they're focusing on young people as they've got a higher likelihood of surviving.

People find it hard to believe but unfortunately I think we will be in the same boat 2-4 weeks from now

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

So, are all these bars and restaurants supposed to provide paid time off for all these people?

I don't think that is a requirement and I know the bill the house signed only covers sick leave for businesses between 100 and 500 employees 

57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, are all these bars and restaurants supposed to provide paid time off for all these people?

56 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't think that is a requirement and I know the bill the house signed only covers sick leave for businesses between 100 and 500 employees 

I really don't know much about macroeconomics but this whole thing has me thinking of what would need to happen for things not to get more terrible than they will just by default. And also what happens to the economy when things stand still like this.

The people at least temporarily out of work who were living paycheck to paycheck need these things temporarily:

1. food

2. relief from their housing/apt bills

3. relief from utility bills

4. relief from any other loan payments

5. other things I'm forgetting

How do we do that without wrecking the businesses that provide #1, the banks/apartments/etc that get paid by #2, etc... just some things I've been wondering about lately.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Biggest difference is that Italy is doing widespread testing. We aren't even sure who has this virus because the testing rollout was botched so badly.

US has a faster spread rate than Italy at this point. Man, I hope I'm wrong, but 1 million deaths in the US is looking more and more like the optimistic outcome.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

US has a faster spread rate than Italy at this point. Man, I hope I'm wrong, but 1 million deaths in the US is looking more and more like the optimistic outcome.

I'd say absolute best case scenario is 500,000 deaths, a completely overrun healthcare system and an drastic economic situation. Just what I'm gleaning from people with more knowledge on this than I 

16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I really don't know much about macroeconomics but this whole thing has me thinking of what would need to happen for things not to get more terrible than they will just by default. And also what happens to the economy when things stand still like this.

The people at least temporarily out of work who were living paycheck to paycheck need these things temporarily:

1. food

2. relief from their housing/apt bills

3. relief from utility bills

4. relief from any other loan payments

5. other things I'm forgetting

How do we do that without wrecking the businesses that provide #1, the banks/apartments/etc that get paid by #2, etc... just some things I've been wondering about lately.

Frankly people are going to need financial assistance from the government. There will be no other way

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Frankly people are going to need financial assistance from the government. There will be no other way

Is it best to give it to individuals, or force businesses to comply with temporary new rules and give the assistance to the businesses to keep them afloat? Or some combination?

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Is it best to give it to individuals, or force businesses to comply with temporary new rules and give the assistance to the businesses to keep them afloat? Or some combination?

Probably a combination. Maybe just giving assistance to business could work though if it was mandatory paid leave across the board for anywhere that closes down. Not sure how that helps people who get laid off because of this though those people might need individual assistance 

That's just my personal opinion and I have zero expertise in that area 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

soon it will be this way nation wide. We need the government to step in and provide financial assistance to people out of work. This is absolutely necessary but will have a devastating economic impact

Delta and carnival come first. EveryonE knows that. 

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That may work for some large employers but small companies like mine have no assistance to give. Can’t get blood out of a turnip.