The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

59 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Positive news front, read a research article that said people who recovered are immune and immunity could last for several years. Double good news because the antibodies in the recovered folks could be used to form a vaccine. 

Saw docs also fast tracked FDA approval to try an anti-viral on a critical case from the Diamond Princess. It has worked to date and has regressed the virus on 14 others.......Hoping we start to see the that curve flatten out....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/experimental-drug-helps-some-americans-ride-out-coronavirus-nih-doctor-says-11584094955

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Positive news front, read a research article that said people who recovered are immune and immunity could last for several years. Double good news because the antibodies in the recovered folks could be used to form a vaccine. 

I've seen mixed reports on immunity but I would trust a research article over a report of someone getting it twice. Bad news is early reports from doctors show COVID could cause permanent lung damage

17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I've seen mixed reports on immunity but I would trust a research article over a report of someone getting it twice. Bad news is early reports from doctors show COVID could cause permanent lung damage

I would be interested in more information on that. 

I seem to be surrounded by people who think this isn’t as bad as the common flu because we haven’t seen 20,000 deaths. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yeah the report said cases of re-infected, they believe the virus was dormant then symptoms returned, so not a case of true reinfection. I’ve worked with many ARDS patients, I haven’t read the studies but I would guess reduced lung capacity and oxygen diffusion would be common once you recovered. ARDS can be beat if you are younger and healthy, if you’re older if you do come back from it, I’d imagine it would greatly change your quality of life. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah the report said cases of re-infected, they believe the virus was dormant then symptoms returned, so not a case of true reinfection. I’ve worked with many ARDS patients, I haven’t read the studies but I would guess reduced lung capacity and oxygen diffusion would be common once you recovered. ARDS can be beat if you are younger and healthy, if you’re older if you do come back from it, I’d imagine it would greatly change your quality of life. 

With ARDS, do you see lung damage on typically younger healthy patients?

38 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Wife had a chemo caused fibrosis with her lungs...SCARY period for a while.  Massive doses of prednisone to abate the inflammation that caused  a whole host of other health issues.  She is all well now....Unsure if prednisone could be used to abate a viral issue.  Problem is one it gets set, it is permanent.... Really bad stuff.

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

image.thumb.jpeg.02dd6d533e4195da8358a6d16b495f30.jpeg

Dr Fauci was speaking on this this morning.  Here is a quote...NC is taking steps now with school and large gatherings.  Nike is closing all stores. Patagonia shut down until 3/16 but will re-evaluate.  Taco Bell going to drive through only....Heard other retail box stores are limiting hours.  Heard part of that was to make sure shelves could get stocked.  I have no issue with a temporary stoppage for a more "permanent"  solution.  I'd also like the gov't to try and find a way to assist those impacted with businesses shutting down......

During an appearance Sunday on CNN, Fauci did not rule out his support for a temporary national lockdown of restaurants and bars. He said said he'd "like to see a dramatic diminution of the personal interaction that we see" in social gathering spots.

"Whatever it takes to do that, that's what I'd like to see," Fauci told Brianna Keilar on "State of the Union."

19 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Just seeing this. There's a lot to this

1. Why tag me? LOL 

2. "My understanding is" is the key part of that quote from... who? 2nd paragraph is conjecture at best

3. At this point, absolutely no media person on the left or the right have any credibility, so I'd venture to guess this is bull$hit but I'll do the 4th pt as if it's 100% true and not slanted garbage which it probably is...

4. Not sure why I'm tagged as if I don't already know that the government is woefully incompetent at everything they do, regardless of who is in office. But this is far from an abnormality. Evidence shows that the government knew about pearl harbor and WTC attacks before they happened and did nothing to stop them. I could spend hours researching and list probably hundreds or thousands of instances where the government did a horrible job in times of crisis (but I'll save my time) because that's what government does: waste, incompetence, and corruption - no matter who fills the presidency or Congress. 

The post above yours suggests how unfettered capitalism would handle this crisis. I guess Amazon IS the government now. 

While I don't expect my government to do everything, or necessarily do it well, it seems that American can strive to be as good as Korea.

And while both parties have some disease on their hands, it was Democrats who fought to keep Trump from slashing the CDC budget. 

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

With ARDS, do you see lung damage on typically younger healthy patients?

I haven’t really seen the effects post their ICU stay, but I’d imagine anyone who survives ARDS is going to to suffer long term effects. I’d guess the stiffening or fibrosis of the lungs never truly goes away, so they’d have reduced lung capacity and oxygen diffusion.