The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be interested in more information on that. 

I seem to be surrounded by people who think this isn’t as bad as the common flu because we haven’t seen 20,000 deaths. 

Honestly, I was one of those people just three weeks ago, wondering aloud why the 50,000 people dying of the common flu every year didn't inspire the same concern or action. I also remembered us doing virtually nothing during the SARS, Zika, Ebola scares and not being punished for it.

But it did occur to me that places like China, Korea, Japan, Italy, and Iran have little in common, no shared political motives, and don't really care what the mainstream American media has to say. Also recognized that the people who know far more about this stuff than me are unified in their concern and messaging. Turns out the media was a little late to the story and did not overhype it, but has done a pretty good job of delivering as much calm coherent information as available. 

The rightwing media decided it had to take a stance, and because a pandemic is global and devastating to the economy, it was anti-capitalist in nature and thus the work of liberals, amplified by the mainstream media. The talking points have been totally predictable -- the Coronavirus is just the latest attempt to impeach Trump — but more disturbingly, it unites people who think if something hasn't happened to them, it shouldn't happen to anybody.

It's always a long shot, but we might come out of this with more respect for science and scientists, many of them who rely on support from the government. One of the many good things that wise governments do. 

• Plus1 3

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's always a long shot, but we might come out of this with more respect for science and scientists, many of them who rely on support from the government. One of the many good things that wise governments do. 

Hopefully. At least the people who clearly don't listen to scientists will be outed and (hopefully) listened to less as a result.

It will take direct, personal consequences to people close to the Trump Believers, or to themselves, before they wake up.

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Hopefully. At least the people who clearly don't listen to scientists will be outed and (hopefully) listened to less as a result.

It will take direct, personal consequences to people close to the Trump Believers, or to themselves, before they wake up.

Sadly I also gotta go full Boomer and blame the kids. My daughter's generation. College has been canceled, they're all going "WHOOO!" and packing the bars like it's a party specially made for the young and immortal. 

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sadly I also gotta go full Boomer and blame the kids. My daughter's generation. College has been canceled, they're all going "WHOOO!" and packing the bars like it's a party specially made for the young and immortal. 

I'll second this, sadly :lol: 

Had a friend's birthday yesterday and we were just going to have a few people go grab a drink somewhere quiet as probably our last 'social' day for a while. Everywhere around the beltline in Atlanta was absolutely packed with young people. Pandemic be damned, spring break, nice weather and St Patty's weekend won out big time. 

Italy had 250 new deaths yesterday, 350 new deaths today. 1800 deaths out of 24,000 confirmed cases, or a 7.5% death rate at the moment 

Remember, a person who dies today was infected 3-4 weeks ago. There will be alot more to come as they didn't start the lockdown until about 4 days ago

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Italy had 250 new deaths yesterday, 350 new deaths today. 1800 deaths out of 24,000 confirmed cases, or a 7.5% death rate at the moment 

Yep. Italian doctors are pretty much in triage mode at this point since they're overwhelmed and sadly they're focusing on young people as they've got a higher likelihood of surviving.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

soon it will be this way nation wide. We need the government to step in and provide financial assistance to people out of work. This is absolutely necessary but will have a devastating economic impact

So, are all these bars and restaurants supposed to provide paid time off for all these people?