The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'd have to dig around here but there are back to back posts saying basically cases don't matter much and that last year the narrative was hospitalizations and death but this year it's cases.   The insinuation was that it was some sort of media conspiracy to keep us all locked down.  Strange takes

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, nic said:

In my single days I volunteered to mentor inner city youth. All of the kids I mentored were immigrants from Mexico. Wonderful folks and families who for one reason or another lost a husband/father. The thing I appreciated most about the culture was the sense of family and hospitality....and the food. The food was awesome.  

Later my own family volunteered to help refugees that had come to the US after being displace by war, politics, genocide really. Our job was not just to befriend them but to help them adapt to the US. Help with speaking English, finding a job, setting up a bank account, saving $$, transportation, helping the kids with school…. The mom was sick and could not work, but the older kids pitched in and  found jobs. Within about 3 years, they were able out of the bad part of the city and bought  a home. It was really cool to see. They have embraced the opportunity this great country has to offer and are flourishing now. Helping others like themselves come to the US and settle down.

Did I do a good job virtue signaling? I learned it during the pandemic from the shamers. Its all the rage. :-)

For the record, I am pro-immigration. Controlled immigration. What we have now is not that. Not anywhere close. I think this cartoon is once again about hypocrisy of politics. I think the hesitancy with the Vax is more about socio-economic status, and younger folks thinking they are impervious to the virus. I am not sure I know any conservative or liberal in my circle of influence that is not vaccinated except for the younger ones and a few that had COVID and figure that is good enough. I would like the leaders in the states that are under vaccinated to encourage it, but not mandate it. I would like people to come to this country through a controlled funnel so we know who, when and why they are coming here. Get them tested at the very least and get them vaccinated. I am sure we have enough vaccine for that. I heard we are now requiring it for people visiting the country. Why not make sure the people rushing across the southern boarder get it too. In order to do that you have to stop the rush and be able to find them.

Firstly, I applaud your volunteerism. That is awesome work.  I seriously mean that. 

That aside, the cartoon is absolutely racist. It seeks to shift the burden of COVID spread from conservative whites (less likely to be vaccinated) and shift the blame to immigrants and tie it to immigration policy, one of the most powerful conservative talking points. I disagree that the cartoon (or the idea that immigrants are making the spread of COVID worse) is about socioeconomic class. Even, hypothetically, if it were true, the conservative whites can still protect themselves by getting the vaccine. 

As far as your thoughts on what to do with Immigrants at the border, I agree. Require vaccinations if they're apprehended, at a minimum in my opinion. The legality and logistics aside. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Throwing aside the legality is not a good take, if that’s indeed what you mean.   If not please disregard the post.  

What I meant was, I have no idea if it's legal to require immigrants (illegal or legal) vaccinations as a condition of their entry if legal or if they are released pending a court date if illegal. I personally think that is a good thing to require, but I also understand that it may not be something that is possible. 

I would encourage any illegal immigrant to get a vaccine at a pharmacy, I hope there are ways the vaccine is available with minimal documentation (no drivers license required). 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

What I meant was, I have no idea if it's legal to require immigrants (illegal or legal) vaccinations as a condition of their entry if legal or if they are released pending a court date if illegal. I personally think that is a good thing to require, but I also understand that it may not be something that is possible. 

I would encourage any illegal immigrant to get a vaccine at a pharmacy, I hope there are ways the vaccine is available with minimal documentation (no drivers license required). 

Gotcha. Thanks for clarification.  I too agree that anyone apprehended should get the opportunity to be vaccinated since we have plenty of doses available, even if they are going to be deported eventually.  Just didn’t think it should be forced 

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

@Archy1221, looks like the US is not going to trend like the UK or Israel. Still possible it levels off but not looking promising:

You could be right, but the baselines from rise are different so it’s not too far off yet.  hopefully hospitalizations roll over in the next few weeks. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Don't mess with this anti masker cuz she means business LOL...  :facepalm: 

Hopefully she brought a cot.  If not somebody get her one NOW!

Then this guy apparently showed up!!!  I think we are all being punked because this all has to be a damn movie smh...

Oh man :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:.  You can't make this stuff up......

On 8/6/2021 at 10:05 AM, Dr. Strangelove said:

Firstly, I applaud your volunteerism. That is awesome work.  I seriously mean that. 

That aside, the cartoon is absolutely racist. It seeks to shift the burden of COVID spread from conservative whites (less likely to be vaccinated) and shift the blame to immigrants and tie it to immigration policy, one of the most powerful conservative talking points. I disagree that the cartoon (or the idea that immigrants are making the spread of COVID worse) is about socioeconomic class. Even, hypothetically, if it were true, the conservative whites can still protect themselves by getting the vaccine. 

As far as your thoughts on what to do with Immigrants at the border, I agree. Require vaccinations if they're apprehended, at a minimum in my opinion. The legality and logistics aside. 

I do not know the group or author of the cartoon to know whether either are racist or just politically motivated to try and shift the spotlight somewhere away from the Texas policies. I suspect the latter. I know members of the Latino community that are frustrated with the border situation too. I agree that migrants are unlikely that cause of spikes outside of their own communities and migrant facilities.

The accusation of racism is applied so liberally that it’s starting to lose its punch. When sheet music, Yoga, roads, Dr. Suess, the American flag and other things get accused of being racist it’s starting to make my moderately liberal friends get frustrated because it dilutes the message. I am not one to walk by someone’s home and assume they are racist because they have the American flag out. I will reserve judgment until I get to know them and see behaviors or hear statement that might elude to them being racist. I agree with the King. Judge on the content of character and not the color of skin….or where they live…or what they drive…or their political affiliation.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This times 1000

I don't disagree that it is overused, however, this is pretty obvious guys.

There is little, if any, evidence of COVID spread relating to immigration policy at the border.

All we know is that vaccinations prevent hospitlzations and deaths. It probably helps mitigate the spread, although there is conflicting evidence on if vaccinated people spread the virus at the same rates as unvaccinated. 

Any discourse not blaming unvaccinated people for the current course of the pandemic should not be taken seriously. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1