The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just now, commando said:

i do try to always say the far right rather than republican.   if i don't always say that it might because the current state of the repubican party is pretty full of far right heros and i might slip republican in sometimes.    i have stated in these threads somewhere that i could support sasse for president....but i have trouble supporting desantis and his conservative warrior approach to politics and his blatant disregard for any attempts to slow the spread of covid in florida.

Thanks. 

I too am not sure that DeSantis is the answer, but Sasse hasn't thrown his hat in the ring yet, and DeSantis is one million times more preferable than Trump thinking he can do it again. 

40 minutes ago, Redux said:

You don't need to be a scientist or read this douchebag's hard drive to realize he's full of s#!t and full of himself. 

He's starting with a premise that's simply untrue. The CDC and his fellow epidemiologists never, ever made the claim that the coronavirus will simply go away if we all vaccinate. Quite the contrary. They've been trying to tell the world that this will be around for awhile, but can be mitigated by mask-wearing and vaccines. It's no more unsubstantiated or nefarious than the fact that we recommend flu shots during flu season, and while some people will still get the flu, flu shots still make all the sense in the world. He acts incredulous that COVID would reemerge in the summer, unlike his cherry-picked example, as if that's proof efforts to stop it are meaningless and the CDC are blinded and conspiratorial, when in fact those same epidemiologists never stopped shouting about the likelihood of variants -- the most powerful being the source of that summer surge. And sure enough, the vaccines have been highly valuable in limiting the damage of the Delta Variant. I's not to hard to get a f#&%ing map that shows the disparity in vaccinations and variant surges worldwide. 

Scientists who point to anomalies and conspiracies as a way to prove their agenda-laden theories aren't very good scientists. There's a reason that people with vastly more epidemiological experience than this Dwight Shrute character come to completely different conclusions, and a reason why this part time beet farmer is only allowed to browbeat local city council meetings. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You don't need to be a scientist or read this douchebag's hard drive to realize he's full of s#!t and full of himself. 

He's starting with a premise that's simply untrue. The CDC and his fellow epidemiologists never, ever made the claim that the coronavirus will simply go away if we all vaccinate. Quite the contrary. They've been trying to tell the world that this will be around for awhile, but can be mitigated by mask-wearing and vaccines. It's no more unsubstantiated or nefarious than the fact that we recommend flu shots during flu season, and while some people will still get the flu, flu shots still make all the sense in the world. He acts incredulous that COVID would reemerge in the summer, unlike his cherry-picked example, as if that's proof efforts to stop it are meaningless and the CDC are blinded and conspiratorial, when in fact those same epidemiologists never stopped shouting about the likelihood of variants -- the most powerful being the source of that summer surge. And sure enough, the vaccines have been highly valuable in limiting the damage of the Delta Variant. I's not to hard to get a f#&%ing map that shows the disparity in vaccinations and variant surges worldwide. 

Scientists who point to anomalies and conspiracies as a way to prove their agenda-laden theories aren't very good scientists. There's a reason that people with vastly more epidemiological experience than this Dwight Shrute character come to completely different conclusions, and a reason why this part time beat farmer is only allowed to browbeat local city council meetings. 

Jesus that was six minutes I'll never get back. You can take an outlier outbreak in one community, and non-peer reviewed studies and 'prove' just about any point you want to make. And LOL at him treating 15 covid patients as a family medicine doc and thinking he's found the cure to covid. I work with ICU docs at one of the best research facilities in the world that have treated thousands of COVID patients in an ER or ICU setting (not covid patients sitting on an office examine table with mild symptoms) who would tell this dude is full of crap. But one vocal doc who is saying what you want to hear is better than thousands of docs telling you what you don't want to hear I guess. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, I'm serious. Ask me again whatever I missed and I'll answer.

Cambridge education, so not likely a "moron". And, is from and lives in the UK, so not likely because of his US GOP affiliation. Probably not because he follows and believes the QAnon segment of the Republican party...so how would you explain his outlook?

15 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Cambridge education, so not likely a "moron". And, is from and lives in the UK, so not likely because of his US GOP affiliation. Probably not because he follows and believes the QAnon segment of the Republican party...so how would you explain his outlook?

I thought my answer of "he's a moron" covered this. More detail is that book smart does not mean smart in all ways, plus his own explanation of trusting his immune system means he doesn't actually know how vaccines work - not smart to not do some research for so important a decision. But someone else also noted that right-wing politics exist outside the US, so that could be it but I haven't looked into this person specifically to know. He could be a leftist - still a moron though.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I thought my answer of "he's a moron" covered this. More detail is that book smart does not mean smart in all ways, plus his own explanation of trusting his immune system means he doesn't actually know how vaccines work - not smart to not do some research for so important a decision. But someone else also noted that right-wing politics exist outside the US, so that could be it but I haven't looked into this person specifically to know. He could be a leftist - still a moron though.

Good to know. Thanks for following up.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

At the same time, you have a history of gleefully undermining people who support mask-wearing and vaccinations.

Please please please let me know where/when I have “gleefully undermined people who support mask wearing and vaccinations”.   I may talk s#!t on flip flopping, policies, etc but I don’t talk s#!t or “gleefully undermine” people for supporting vaccines or masks.  

I have questioned mask mandates which is a far cry from “gleefully undermining” people who wear a mask.    I have said a vaccine passport isn’t the way to go in my view and that is a far cry from “gleefully undermining” people who support vaccines.  

Thanks in advance. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1