The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Those people would be wrong and are just looking for something to b!^@h and moan about. 

The situation in Hawaii is interesting and also concerning.  

But we all know why you posted the click bait story with the misleading talking points.  You wanted to back up your view that mask mandates are ineffective.  The data in Hawaii doesn't show that by the way.  

So I posted what you intentionally left out.....that at this time, Hawaii has done much better than places like Florida which seem to be taking the mitigation strategy of....well... do nothing.  

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

The situation in Hawaii is interesting and also concerning.  

But we all know why you posted the click bait story with the misleading talking points.  You wanted to back up your view that mask mandates are ineffective.  The data in Hawaii doesn't show that by the way.  

So I posted what you intentionally left out.....that at this time, Hawaii has done much better than places like Florida which seem to be taking the mitigation strategy of....well... do nothing.  

:facepalm:  you still don’t get it.  Maybe just stop trying I guess:dunno  To me it’s a post about Delta and how different it acts than Alpha in a mitigated/vaccinated area.  But the Hosp/death rates are staying down which is good. But hey, keep trying to be outraged by me.  It’s really no bother.  

• Fire 1
On 8/8/2021 at 1:41 PM, Archy1221 said:

The entire point of the post was to show that even with pretty strong mitigation measures, Covid is finding a way to spread.  

Seems like common sense to me that a once in a generation, highly contagious virus would not 100% disappear even with a strong response to it.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yep, you may want to let the lock down forever know this.  

Why? The goal has never been to eliminate Covid-19 from the face of the earth completely. Even if it was, your "point" is either a snarky gotcha or is just a poor handling of the data and a misguided conclusion.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Seems like common sense to me that a once in a generation, highly contagious virus would not 100% disappear even with a strong response to it.

Yeah, much of the world has gone through epidemics and public health crises that the last few generations of Americans have been lucky enough to avoid. So some countries get the drill better than Americans, although nobody is coming through unscathed. 

I see a lot of folks moving the goalposts to accuse the CDC of hypocrisy, over-promise, and fear-mongering, but at almost every step the immediate goal has been to contain outbreaks in order not to overwhelm the public health system. Then when those measures work, the partisan opposition claims it's proof that Covid is no big deal.

Exhausting.

FWIW....this thread is far more thoughtful and intelligent on all sides than the s#!tshow on Facebook and other social media. But if we really want to know how HuskerBoard members feel about the issue, leave the thread up in the Football Forum. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Cambridge education, so not likely a "moron". And, is from and lives in the UK, so not likely because of his US GOP affiliation. Probably not because he follows and believes the QAnon segment of the Republican party...so how would you explain his outlook?

My guess is Rupert Murdoch. They own many publications in the UK and Australia. They pretty much do the same business practice elsewhere as they do with Fox News:

Sow extreme distrust of perceived "elites", distrust of the opposition party, and not so subtle hints of racism. Rinse and repeat, they appeal to a similar base of conspiratorial conservative white people elsewhere. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Whats the saying republicans love to use? Oh yeah…play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Good luck Arkansas!

I wonder if more ICU beds would be available if he hadn't signed a bill  (which he now regrets) that rejected mask mandates?

According to many members of this board it doesn't matter. No harm done with that mask rejecting bill.

11 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It's almost like the entire GOP attitude towards immigration is not-so-suddenly racist by trying to distract its voting base with the border every chance they get. Or why Donald Trump's opening foray into politics was declaring that Obama isn't American. Or why his opening campaign speech called Mexicans rapists and murderers. 

Just because 40% of Americans love to blame immigrants for their problems doesn't make it only "politics as usual". It can carry racist undertones at the same time. 

This made me think again about the Latino vote in 2020. I tried to find some more recent numbers but per usual I found the typical partisan articles. My memory says that more Latinos came out to vote in 2020 (30% more?) and Trump got more votes from The Latino community than 2016 despite his disparaging remarks, building a wall, and who knows what else’s that should have swayed that vote the other direction. Percent wise he was either up or even with 2016, but more votes since there were more voters. We have to careful how the articles are worded these days.  I found many articles that were reporting on democratic theories for this but nothing definite. It seemed like the biggest boost was Florida ...so maybe the Cuban community. Did the Latino community not understand what Trump thinks of them? Did they not believe it? Did they decide other things were more important? I have to believe it was reported on a lot.