The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My guess is Rupert Murdoch. They own many publications in the UK and Australia. They pretty much do the same business practice elsewhere as they do with Fox News:

Sow extreme distrust of perceived "elites", distrust of the opposition party, and not so subtle hints of racism. Rinse and repeat, they appeal to a similar base of conspiratorial conservative white people elsewhere. 

Very accurate I feel. Thanks.

20 hours ago, nic said:

So they think the folks in the hospital are faking it? If your not in health and haven’t been touched by COVID, maybe, but it seems like seeing is believing. Are these nurses younger? My sister was a nurse and over time seeing people die seemed to affect her less and less.

They range in age but my wife says the most outspoken are actually 40s and 50s.  

And you’re right, it doesn’t make sense.  She also said none of them have ever quarantined so she’d assume they’ve never tested positive either.

And @commando is right.  She showed me some stuff from their FB feeds.  They  consume and spread a lot of right wing media. Maybe a connection :dunno

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What did Millard do?

My understanding is they “tabled” the discussion and didn’t even vote.  Meaning the school year will start with optional masks.

Im curious what Elkhorn will do now.  I figured they’d be waiting to see what OPS and Millard did and follow suit.  Millard vote, or non-vote, Makes that strategy kind of tricky.  As much crap as teachers give administrators, this is one decision I’m glad I don’t have to put my name on.

This, and snow days!

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What did Millard do?

Tabled the vote after a number of people bullied speakers and even board members during the open discussion. This after the meeting was still called to order with one member out of town and the other unable to attend due to, (wait for it...........) having Covid. 

11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Tabled the vote after a number of people bullied speakers and even board members during the open discussion. This after the meeting was still called to order with one member out of town and the other unable to attend due to, (wait for it...........) having Covid. 

Shocker, non-educators once again chiming in.

Perhaps we should go to these peoples place of work and make policies for them.  

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, funhusker said:

My understanding is they “tabled” the discussion and didn’t even vote.  Meaning the school year will start with optional masks.

Im curious what Elkhorn will do now.  I figured they’d be waiting to see what OPS and Millard did and follow suit.  Millard vote, or non-vote, Makes that strategy kind of tricky.  As much crap as teachers give administrators, this is one decision I’m glad I don’t have to put my name on.

This, and snow days!

Ha!  No kidding

13 hours ago, nic said:

This made me think again about the Latino vote in 2020. I tried to find some more recent numbers but per usual I found the typical partisan articles. My memory says that more Latinos came out to vote in 2020 (30% more?) and Trump got more votes from The Latino community than 2016 despite his disparaging remarks, building a wall, and who knows what else’s that should have swayed that vote the other direction. Percent wise he was either up or even with 2016, but more votes since there were more voters. We have to careful how the articles are worded these days.  I found many articles that were reporting on democratic theories for this but nothing definite. It seemed like the biggest boost was Florida ...so maybe the Cuban community. Did the Latino community not understand what Trump thinks of them? Did they not believe it? Did they decide other things were more important? I have to believe it was reported on a lot. 

This is a question that will be studied by political scientists for quite sometime. 

For now, it appears that you are correct: Trumps improvement in the Hispanic vote is in large part because of increases in the Cuban-American vote in Florida. However, there is evidence that his gains with Hispanic voters increased elsewhere, especially in the upper midwest. However, his vote share among Hispanics was not as widespread in the Southwest, such as in Arizona and Neveda.

Political Scientists are probably going to have to stop grouping all Hispanic voters together, as the voting behavior is quite different between geography, as noted above, and by heritage. Cuban-American voters are much different than Mexican-American voters, while voters from Central America are much different than both. It's pretty interesting. 

I don't have a Masters in Political Science, but from what I've read voting behavior amongst Hispanics is now falling more in line with what you would expect among the general population: higher levels of education or being female correlate with liberal views while lower levels of education or being male correlate with conservative views.

It suggests that Hispanic voters feel more assimilated into American society, which is good! It remains to be seen if their white counterparts, both liberal and conservative, regard them the same way. I suspect not.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, funhusker said:

They range in age but my wife says the most outspoken are actually 40s and 50s.  

And you’re right, it doesn’t make sense.  She also said none of them have ever quarantined so she’d assume they’ve never tested positive either.

And @commando is right.  She showed me some stuff from their FB feeds.  They  consume and spread a lot of right wing media. Maybe a connection :dunno

Nurses vote in essentially the same way as individuals with education levels of a high school diploma. In that sense, it's unsurprising that they consume and share right-wing media.