The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is a question that will be studied by political scientists for quite sometime. 

For now, it appears that you are correct: Trumps improvement in the Hispanic vote is in large part because of increases in the Cuban-American vote in Florida. However, there is evidence that his gains with Hispanic voters increased elsewhere, especially in the upper midwest. However, his vote share among Hispanics was not as widespread in the Southwest, such as in Arizona and Neveda.

Political Scientists are probably going to have to stop grouping all Hispanic voters together, as the voting behavior is quite different between geography, as noted above, and by heritage. Cuban-American voters are much different than Mexican-American voters, while voters from Central America are much different than both. It's pretty interesting. 

I don't have a Masters in Political Science, but from what I've read voting behavior amongst Hispanics is now falling more in line with what you would expect among the general population: higher levels of education or being female correlate with liberal views while lower levels of education or being male correlate with conservative views.

It suggests that Hispanic voters feel more assimilated into American society, which is good! It remains to be seen if their white counterparts, both liberal and conservative, regard them the same way. I suspect not.

The articles I skimmed were all over the map. One mentioned the "macho man" theory, but noted the larger increase was among women. 

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Parts of the US are experiencing this too.  I do wonder if the increased Covid-19 hospitalization prevalence in kids is due to a combined RSV/Covid issue.   I’ve see reports of dual disease issues with Covid exacerbating the RSV 

Hold on, I was told that NZ did EVERYTHING right!!!

• Plus1 1