The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I said before that I would bet 180 million Americans would have/get Covid.

55 million "confirmed", how many people do you think have had it and did not get tested?  On the low end I would say 20 million.  Fair?

So probably 75 million have had it...and it is still going.  We will hit that 180 million number, assuming Omicron is counted as Covid?

I'd say we have already crossed the 180M mark.

• Plus1 2

52 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You think so?  Just in America?

Easily.  Back in spring 2020 the thought was we were only catching 1 in 10 cases, and that morphed to 1 in 3 cases as testing ramped up.  Now toss in Omicron with light symptoms (or no symptoms for some vaxxed) starting to run wild.

This website estimates the total population of each state that has be infected -> https://covidestim.org/

It doesn't have a national number, but let's look at the 10 largest states. California at 66%, Texas at 68%, Florida at 80%, New York at 77%, Pennsylvania at 65%, Illinois at 65%, Ohio at 65%, Georgia at 84%, North Carolina at 63%, and Michgan at 73%.  Doing some math just on those 10 states gives me 129M infected right there.  Those states represent about 55% of the US population and have a combined infection rate of 70%.  Extrapolate that 70% across the entire US population of 330M you get about 230M infected.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I’m not a huge fan of this guy overall, but the 38 second clip doesn’t really shed light on what he was talking about. His larger point was to prioritize tests for more vulnerable people who might require early diagnosis and treatment. 

This is coming from an administration that was lockstep with another that wanted to "slow the testing down" and you're suggesting what he said isn't what he meant?  

It's absolutely the wrong way to message if he's trying to address a testing shortage.  In no universe should he ever be insinuating we need to be "unwinding" testing.  Address the testing shortage.  Florida doesn't want the help from the Feds so fix it. 

Since tests are in short supply layout your plan to get through a temporary shortage if that's the issue but his message in this post was horrible.  How do you think it's going to be taken?  What good does it do to have people not test based on his plan then spread it inadvertently to the most vulnerable?  So yeah a pretty cringe worthy take on his part.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scarlet said:

This is coming from an administration that was lockstep with another that wanted to "slow the testing down" and you're suggesting what he said isn't what he meant?  

It's absolutely the wrong way to message if he's trying to address a testing shortage.  In no universe should he ever be insinuating we need to be "unwinding" testing.  Address the testing shortage.  Florida doesn't want the help from the Feds so fix it. 

Since tests are in short supply layout your plan to get through a temporary shortage if that's the issue but his message in this post was horrible.  How do you think it's going to be taken?  What good does it do to have people not test based on his plan then spread it inadvertently to the most vulnerable?  So yeah a pretty cringe worthy take on his part.  

I’m suggesting you read what he said, which can be found if you manage to look outside of Twitter. 

It’s inline with the sentiment advanced in this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/621149/

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

You had to know that Turning Point clusterf#&% was going to be deadly.  Whelp....it was

Good. Let's go Darwin. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am starting to think that Covid has social media and that it knows which people say it is nothing to worry about it...then if finds them.

COVID already has an award--the Herman Cain Awards on Reddit. I highly suggest folks take a browse through some of its recipients, including some famous weightlifters, athletes, and politicians that *almost* won the award and thankfully saw the light. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Unreal how many people I know that currently have COVID, definitely more than any point in the pandemic. One of the docs I work with was planning an event for February, I asked him why he would plan a large in person event - his thinking is omicron will rip through the community and settled down again by the end of the month. 

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Unreal how many people I know that currently have COVID, definitely more than any point in the pandemic. One of the docs I work with was planning an event for February, I asked him why he would plan a large in person event - his thinking is omicron will rip through the community and settled down again by the end of the month. 

My whole family and I have it at the moment, which actually simplifies our quarantine.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

It is DEFINITELY more contagious right now. It's amazing what companies are going through right now with employees being out.

• Plus1 2