The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

10 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is the political party that's going to dominate elections for the foreseeable future. We've got to the point where we have to stop taking it seriously, it's unfortunate that it's even regarded as a viable option when it so clearly isn't. 

I believe Gym Jordan runs that account.  He along with a long list of other Republicans who we're assured aren't the future of the Party but sure seem to be running the show are hell bent on not only killing their base and democracy but science too.  Seems like a recipe for a bright future.  

• Plus1 2

And then there's not publicly acknowledging reality.   

So I've been wondering the source of all this "this vaccines don't work"  or "the boosters don't work" nonsense.   I've actually personally know one person who was vaxxed in April but now won't get boosted.  Fat, out of shape.  Good luck with Omicron.  He'll probably be alright but it'll most likely be a rough go.  

The disinformation is coming from this jilted "inventor" of the mRNA vaccines.  The same guy Cruz quotes in his tweet.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619734/

That kind of overheated, spottily sourced conversation is par for the course on shows like Bannon’s, which traffic in a set of claims that sound depressingly familiar: The vaccines cause more harm than experts are letting on; Fauci is a liar and possibly a fascist; and the mainstream news media is either shamelessly complicit or too stupid to figure out what’s really going on.

In that alternate media universe, Robert Malone’s star is ascendant. He started popping up on podcasts and cable news shows a few months ago, presented as a scientific expert, arguing that the approval process for the vaccines had been unwisely rushed. He told Tucker Carlson that the public doesn’t have enough information to decide whether to get vaccinated. He told Glenn Beck that offering incentives for taking vaccines is unethical. He told Del Bigtree, an anti-vaccine activist who opposes common childhood inoculations, that there hadn’t been sufficient research on how the vaccines might affect women’s reproductive systems.

Malone says he deserves credit for more than just sparking hope. He dropped out of graduate school in 1988, just short of his Ph.D., and went to work at a pharmaceutical company called Vical. Now he claims that both the Salk Institute and Vical profited from his work and essentially prevented him from further pursuing his research. (A Salk Institute spokesperson said that nothing in the institute’s records substantiates Malone’s allegations. The biotech company into which Vical was merged, Brickell, did not respond to requests for comment.) To say that Malone remains bitter over this perceived mistreatment doesn’t do justice to his sense of aggrievement. He calls what happened to him “intellectual rape.”

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

And then there's not publicly acknowledging reality.   

So I've been wondering the source of all this "this vaccines don't work"  or "the boosters don't work" nonsense.   I've actually personally know one person who was vaxxed in April but now won't get boosted.  Fat, out of shape.  Good luck with Omicron.  He'll probably be alright but it'll most likely be a rough go.  

The disinformation is coming from this jilted "inventor" of the mRNA vaccines.  The same guy Cruz quotes in his tweet.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/619734/

more messaging from the right about how the vaccine doesn't work.   i was assured that wasn't happening except from a few of the extremists    

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, nic said:

RI allowing asymptomatic COVID positive health care workers to work. Fired the unvaccinated ones.

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/politics/2022/01/01/rhode-island-heathcare-workers-covid-positive-permitted-facility-staffing-crisis/9066882002/

Did you actually read the article?

"those who are exposed or have a positive Covid test but are asymptomatic" can work "in crisis situations for staffing," as long as they wear N95 masks.

Asked if the Slater Hospital or any other facility in the state had reached this crisis level, Health Department spokesman Joseph Wendelken told The Journal:  "No, no facility has reported to us yet that they are in a position that requires COVID-19 positive healthcare providers to be working. If a facility does reach that point, that information would be posted publicly so patients and families would be aware."

And as someone who goes into the RI Hospitals - 97% of staff is vaccinated ... less than 400 lost their jobs.  It's not an issue here.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

I said before that I would bet 180 million Americans would have/get Covid.

55 million "confirmed", how many people do you think have had it and did not get tested?  On the low end I would say 20 million.  Fair?

So probably 75 million have had it...and it is still going.  We will hit that 180 million number, assuming Omicron is counted as Covid?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Did you actually read the article?

And as someone who goes into the RI Hospitals - 97% of staff is vaccinated ... less than 400 lost their jobs.  It's not an issue here.

Yup I did. The point being they are now stretched thin enough from overload that they need to make exceptions. I assume they waited until they had replaced the unvaccinated staff, before firing them. Although some may have just quit before that could happen and others may have quit from burn out before they could be replaced.

• Haha 2