Dem VP choice

VP Choice  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

55 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

She was tough on crime as a prosecutor. If that’s your opinion, I can see why you feel that way. I’d argue as a black woman, if she was soft on crime she would have never been able to reach the heights she reached. Her platform as a senator has been very progressive, but to each their own. I don’t think you’d find one Veep that everyone will agree on. 

well I think that's the issue itself. As a black woman --- a very ambitious black woman -- Kamala had to show the political establishment that she could be tough on crime, especially black crime, and prosecuted in a way that may have been more expected in Mississippi than California. So if you're a black person, you're inclined to see Kamala Harris as more of a traitor than a sister. 

Harris did pivot and say a lot of the right things as a candidate, but again that's the mindset of an opportunist rather than a leader. Still, I thought she staked a good claim to the Democrat's sweet spot and had a good chance at the nomination. Really surprised she ended her campaign looking up at the likes of Andrew Yang. That being said, I think all would be forgiven if she was the tough talking, articulate, and reassuringly younger woman on the ticket.

She said the other day that she has been so focused on the virus that she has not even been able to think about anything else including a VP nod...

That was right after she ripped trump for not being able to think about two things at once.  I thought that was funny (and clearly she was lying).

I do think she is getting the nod and I am almost ready to place a wager on it.  I think she is -170 at the moment.

21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And ripping on appearance?  

This is not an Iowa Hawkeye basketball thread.  

For 3 years it has been mental illness and orange man...

Agree.  If a moderator really wants to limit mental fitness speculation and gratuitous body shaming, he or she should just shut down P&R completely. 

Why is Biden's mental acuity suddenly off limits?  Does anyone think it doesn't play into the VP choice?

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, sho said:

Stacey Abrams

Tammy Baldwin

Val Demings

Baldwin or Demings would be the 2 strongest of those 3.   They both have unique stories to tell with their particular backgrounds in and out of politics.  If I had to choose  I think I'd lean towards Demings of those 3. Florida is a bigger prize than Wisc.  I do think either one could win their state for Biden.

The question is - are any of those 3 ready to be president?  That is the main question one has to ask wt a Biden VP pick.  That was the big question when GHWB chose Dan Quayle.  Of all of the possible VP options, DQ seemed the least qualified to become president if it came down to that.   I think Val showed her metal in the impeachment proceedings and the fact that San Fran Nan picked her to be one of the House Mgrs says a lot about her. 

But experience matters.

That is why I still like Senator Amy K.  I think she helps bring Wisc and Mich into blue status. But I understand she does very little regarding progressive thought - although Val is thought of as being a centralist Dem as well.  I think Amy has more experience than all of these being talked about.  She doesn't seem to be a polarizing person either which we don't need at this time.  By saying that, I'm not saying the other 3 are polarizing.   

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Why is Biden's mental acuity suddenly off limits?  Does anyone think it doesn't play into the VP choice?

It's not just Biden. I've been on this kick with people diagnosing Trump from afar for years. It's just not appropriate.

Now, if the Mods decide it's OK, fine. Cast your aspersions far and wide.

Me, I'd rather stick to things we factually know about these candidates.

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree.  If a moderator really wants to limit mental fitness speculation and gratuitous body shaming, he or she should just shut down P&R completely. 

You are a level headed poster!  

I don't know why it is off limits.  Well, I know why it is now...he is the D nominee so now people that want him to win (I think he will win and take down Trump with ease) so now we shouldn't talk about the fact that he struggles. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Would you agree that Trump is the least qualified person we have had in the WH for the last 100 years or more- if not forever?

Not sure that we can 'factually' state this - what criteria do we use?  But I would guess most would 'feel' this to be true based on experience and observation.

I think there are some mental issues, Narcissistic Personality for example, that can be observed by even a lay person. That observation may not be based on what we can scientifically prove to be true via a test, but can be observed and known based on experience.  Thus in trump's case, I don't know factually that he is Narcissistic but I can believe it to be true based on what I observe about him and what I know about the disorder.  This then becomes a political liability as we've seen it play out too many times.  

Self disclosure here: For someone wt ADHD symptoms, I can pick out someone who probably has the same affection when I'm around them enough.  Unfortunately, some of the same negative symptoms are shared by ADHD and Narcissistic individuals.  So I'm familiar wt those symptoms and try to avoid/overcome them. That familiarity, however, doesn't mean I can diagnose like a doctor can

I can only give an guess based on experience and knowledge.

36 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think eit

Baldwin or Demings would be the 2 stongest of those 3.   They both have unique stories to tell with their particular backgrounds in and out of politics.  If I had to choose  I think I'd lean towards Demings of those 3. Florida is a bigger prize than Wisc.  I do think either one could win their state for Biden.

The question is - are any of those 3 ready to be president?  That is the main question one has to ask wt a Biden VP pick.  That was the big question when GHWB chose Dan Quayle.  Of all of the possible VP options, DQ seemed the least qualified to become president if it came down to that.   I think Val showed her metal in the impeachment proceedings and the fact that San Fran Nan picked her to be one of the House Mgrs says a lot about her. 

But experience matters.

That is why I still like Senator Amy K.  I think she helps bring Wisc and Mich into blue status. But I understand she does very little regarding progressive thought - although Val is thought of as being a centralist Dem as well.  I think Amy has more experience than all of these being talked about.  She doesn't seem to be a polarizing person either which we don't need at this time.  By saying that, I'm not saying the other 3 are polarizing.   

Amy is up there well above Harris in my opinion, but I don't think she helps Joe in any of his weaknesses, outside of being a good extemporaneous speaker.   :D

51 minutes ago, commando said:

vice president matters.....but his entire cabinet matters even more.  and i trust joes cabinet to be much more competent and less ...for lack of a better word...evil than trumps cabinet.   

TRUE - He pick people of experience and not some loon who has no idea why he is there other than to tear apart the dept he is suppose to lead. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It's not just Biden. I've been on this kick with people diagnosing Trump from afar for years. It's just not appropriate.

Now, if the Mods decide it's OK, fine. Cast your aspersions far and wide.

It's a message board. Made up of Nebraska football fans. It is more level-headed and accountable than any other political message board I frequent. This impresses me to no end.

I think we've earned the right to talk about whatever we want, wherever we want. There's hardly a political thread where Trump's narcissism doesn't come into play, and if you're saying I need a letter from a doctor to make that clinical assessment, then we should just end all armchair speculation. Which of course means shutting down the board itself. 

If it's a moderator decision made to spare Joe Biden under the guise of normal conversation drift, that makes me a little queasy. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Biden's cabinet will be "better" because they will be career politicians so they will know how to lie and cheat better than what you currently see.

Most of us like it better that way.

i believe the current positions are filled by trumps friends....you know....professional liers, cheaters, and thieves who have no idea how to do the job they are placed in.  

1 minute ago, commando said:

i believe the current positions are filled by trumps friends....you know....professional liers, cheaters, and thieves who have no idea how to do the job they are placed in.  

Agreed.  I also think they don't know HOW to lie in the world of politics as opposed to the business world.