Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Hey, folks. Keep social distancing. Keep wearing your masks. We ain't remotely out of the woods on this.

Just because something else is dominating the headlines doesn't mean we're not dealing with Covid-19 anymore.

By wear a mask, Knapp doesn't mean take yours on and off every 5 minutes cough into it and then touch every single thing you possibly can.

Mortality rate isn't the most important stat right now. It's definitely not 13% but whether it's 0.5% or 5% isn't that relevant and we aren't going to know it for a long time. What's important is how fast it's spreading and what the hospitalization rate is and what the hospital capacity is.

The focus has to be on slowing the spread and increasing hospital capacity. If we get to capacity then more people die from all sorts of things, including Covid-19.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

This is exactly true.  We all have got bored with it.  It is actually amazing to see how this has all changed in terms of coverage/fear and so on.

I can't speak for other regions, but at some point Midwestern stoicism was bound to take over.

Honestly I think a lot of people (more than ever) don't give a rip anymore, particularly in the fallout from all the George Floyd protests. Baker's this last weekend was fewer masks than I've seen. I also stopped by HyVee - they've kept all the signs recommending only one person per family do the shopping, and they've kept up the 6 ft. line markers, but they removed the 'one-way aisle' restrictions.

59 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Honestly I think a lot of people (more than ever) don't give a rip anymore, particularly in the fallout from all the George Floyd protests. Baker's this last weekend was fewer masks than I've seen. I also stopped by HyVee - they've kept all the signs recommending only one person per family do the shopping, and they've kept up the 6 ft. line markers, but they removed the 'one-way aisle' restrictions.

3-4 weeks ago...I felt like 75% of the people had masks at Bakers and Hy Vee...today...maybe 25%.

https://www.ketv.com/article/nebraska-among-hardest-hit-states-in-the-nation-for-covid-19-cases/32804767?fbclid=IwAR1CJjoXlCnb17WV6UFiZtNmEVIoB7GhGG4NRW8CUbgpyf64Yoh1KX-_-RU

During a webinar updating metro nonprofits on the status of COVID-19, the dean for the college of public health at UNMC makes one thing clear:

"Our outbreak is not controlled in Nebraska by any set of criteria," Dr. Ali Khan said.

Khan broke it down with various charts and graphs. He said the state has averaged about 250 cases a day over the courses of two months.

"We are actually one of the hardest hit states in America," Khan said.

Nebraska is 10th in the nation per capita.