Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Wyo and Decoy, we all know some players are going to get it and be quarantined.  They will recover quickly, just like 99.99% of all kids their age, and be back on the field in a week.  It actually would be a benefit for the majority of a team to have it and heal pre-season.  I know, the .01% will get really sick.  More college age football players will likely be seriously injured or killed in automobile accidents or from riots than Covid-19.  Seriously guys, go outside.  The fresh air feels great.

Nothing you just stated is backed by evidence or any official recommendation.   

Back on the field in a week?  Really?  And spread it to everyone else?   What about the 50-70 year assistant coaches?  What percentage are you going to arbitrarily  assign for their demise?   

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Its good the athletes will be tested.  Probably safer than their family and friends not on the teams.  These people can get the virus going to the walmart or the post office or even from their girlfriends or parents.  

But being exposed to bunches of virus free (all the people around them in football will be tested) is not going to increase the risk of serious illness or death!   Just facts. The real issue is fan safety and they are free to stay away.  Theyre not earning a scholarship and schooling.  

I hate to keep being Mr Contrary on this subject and am not directing any of this to your post per se, but more just general rhetorical questions and other thoughts if you will, but there are some more facts we must consider:  

1.  The tests aren't 100% reliable.  False positives.  False negatives.  Silent carriers.  Several people continue to get "positive" test results weeks after recovering.  It's probably picking up inactive virus particles.  What do we do in this case?  

2.  College kids are going to go out to Wal-Mart.  There going to class, mingle and socialize with girls, family, etc.  We can't sequester them from everyone else.  It's not like they march into the locker room after the game and go sit on their charger until next Saturday.  So what do we do?  Test every day?  How long does it take to get the result?  The star running back who tested negative yesterday, suddenly now tests positive.  Meanwhile, he's been in the film room with coach, hung out with the offensive line last night, went to the store, etc..  You see where I'm going.  Next thing you know, half the team has it.  Now what?  Cancel the next two games?  Iron man football?  "Starting at safety, number 2, Adrian Martinez".  Instead of last seasons worrying about if the linebackers are going to be up for tackling next week, now we're going to be worried about if anybody caught the COVID in the middle of game weeks.  I can see the practice pressers now.  "How'd it go today coach?"  "Saw player X had a mask and wasn't suited up, did they catch the virus?"

What we have been observing, is that it appears the virus is less lethal that it was before.  Better treatment?  Definitely.  Better testing and recognition?  Definitely.  Virus mutating into a  less virulent form?  Hopefully.  That's really what I'm hoping for at this point.  

I wish it were as simple as College Football being low risk, because 20yr old athletes should recover fine and be good to go in 2 weeks, but unfortunately it's not. 

All this being said, I am confident we will have a very near-normal 2021 football season.

• Plus1 2

Just now, BIG ERN said:

There should be a spike like no other coming very soon where people are dropping like flies....or....well, I think you know where this is going. 

Yeah, I mean, the Memorial Day spike should be hitting right about now, right?  Has it been about two weeks?

So, if what we have been told is accurate...between people having the nerve to party at the Ozarks (and all other places) and the peaceful protests, by the middle of June we should, in theory, start seeing numbers of new cases like we have never seen before.  

• Plus1 1

The numbers of tests far exceeds the numbers of new cases and mortality appears to be falling.  More likely the result of accuracy and less speculation and doomsday prognostication.  

Eventually we will learn more of the actual facts but not until long after the damage is done.  Hopefully all the “social distancing” and unprecedented economic and social destruction imposed by government has not killed more than its saved.  

People are rebelling - finally - as the apparent costs outweigh the perceived benefits.  Time will tell.  

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I mean, the Memorial Day spike should be hitting right about now, right?  Has it been about two weeks?

So, if what we have been told is accurate...between people having the nerve to party at the Ozarks (and all other places) and the peaceful protests, by the middle of June we should, in theory, start seeing numbers of new cases like we have never seen before.  

I know you're being facetious, but to answer your question yes we are actually seeing an uptick in daily confirmed cases after they had been trending down. Also, most of the experts have agreed at this point that outdoor transmission is more limited and seasonality is going to provide somewhat of a backdrop to the spread to keep it from being bad. However, yes, easing restrictions and large outdoor gathers is leading to an increase in cases nationwide.

And before I get my head bit off, I am not advocating for shutdowns or no football or any of that. I'm just pointing out that increased activity is leading to more cases.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I know you're being facetious, but to answer your question yes we are actually seeing an uptick in daily confirmed cases after they had been trending down. Also, most of the experts have agreed at this point that outdoor transmission is more limited and seasonality is going to provide somewhat of a backdrop to the spread to keep it from being bad. However, yes, easing restrictions and large outdoor gathers is leading to an increase in cases nationwide.

And before I get my head bit off, I am not advocating for shutdowns or no football or any of that. I'm just pointing out that increased activity is leading to more cases.

Ha...I was not trying to be facetious!  

I think the next 7-10 days will start to really tell us the whole story of what fall will look like.  

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

"Experts" don't have a clue what is going on or what this 'virus' is. SARS 2.0 has now become a vascular disease. 

I'll leave it at this. I gave up when MILLIONS of people tested positive but still have not had one symptom. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Ha...I was not trying to be facetious!  

I think the next 7-10 days will start to really tell us the whole story of what fall will look like.  

Ha, apparently I just read everything that way now! 

29 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

"Experts" don't have a clue what is going on or what this 'virus' is. SARS 2.0 has now become a vascular disease. 

I'll leave it at this. I gave up when MILLIONS of people tested positive but still have not had one symptom. 

And everyone of those experts will tell you that exact same thing. They don't know because it's new and they are doing their best with the information available to protect people. All of those doctors swore an oath to help people and protect people and that's what they've been trying to do in real time as they learn. 

• Plus1 4
20 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Nothing you just stated is backed by evidence or any official recommendation.   

Back on the field in a week?  Really?  And spread it to everyone else?   What about the 50-70 year assistant coaches?  What percentage are you going to arbitrarily  assign for their demise?   

Before making accusations you should at a minimum do a little homework.  Here is evidence for you straight off the Nebraska statewide Covid Page ( http://dhhs.ne.gov/Pages/Coronavirus.aspx )

According to their numbers, 37.9% of all positive cases were in people age 34 and under.  That is currently 5,634 younger people who have had the virus.  Out of those, 3 died.  That works out to .053%.  The same site also shows that 1.33% of those became sick enough to require hospitalization.  Keep in mind this is the age group least likely to even show symptoms or be tested.  It is safe to assume that the positive number for this age class is well above the numbers reported making the percentages fall even lower.  

Now if you take a group of athletes in this age class, in the best shape of their lives, and you test them daily, don't you think them playing football together is a hell of a lot safer than your neighborhood grocery store?  I would also say the coaches and staff around them are also a lot safer being with a group tested regularly than they are at your average backyard BBQ.  

Fans should get to choose.  Have them sign a waiver walking in and let each individual be responsible for their own health.    

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

Anyone suggesting in early March that we'd have 100,000 COVID deaths in America in under three months would have been called an alarmist. So it turned out to be pretty real and pretty bad after all.

But if you crunch the numbers now, it looks like the infection rates are going up, but the death rates are going down. Cities and countries that were devastated early seem to be rebounding okay. But other countries and American locales continue to tick up on both counts, including some overwhelmed hospitals. That was happening before the Memorial Day reopen and the street protests. Where will we be July 1?

The scientists are willing to admit they don't know everything. It's still unfolding. Lots to figure out on the fly. I want my football and I definitely want my kids going to a physical school in the fall, but I don't envy anyone in charge of these decisions. Hell to pay either way.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

I thought the shut down and the phased re-entry was to flatten the curve, not necessarily to stop to spread entirely? I assume that the majority of us will be exposed at some point. 

im not sure what phase every state is in, but it would make sense to me that if your state has achieved phase three( I think the least restrictive), you should be allowed to have fully attended games. The plan is fully laid out. 

we’re entering phase 2 tomorrow which means that our important numbers have improved over the last three weeks. My office announced that a co-worker tested positive yesterday. That’s the first person I know with the virus. Not sure if I’ll see more due to the restrictions relaxing. 

• Plus1 2