Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

So, maybe drink a glass of whole milk a day?

NU researchers discover strong correlation between vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 mortality rates

A group of Northwestern researchers have recently found a strong correlation between severe vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 mortality rates.

According to a University release, the researchers studied publicly-available global data from the COVID-19 pandemic and observed that patients from countries with high COVID-19 mortality rates had lower levels of vitamin D compared to those from countries that were not affected as severely. The team reported the new finding in a paper on medRxiv, a pre-print server for health sciences.

Led by McCormick Prof. Vadim Backman, the team was inspired to look at vitamin D levels after noticing unexplained differences in COVID-19 mortality rates among different countries. Although some members of the team initially hypothesized other factors might explain these differences, the team found a “significant correlation” between vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 mortality. They also discovered a strong correlation between vitamin D levels and cytokine storm, a hyperinflammatory condition caused by an overactive immune system.

“Cytokine storm can severely damage lungs and lead to acute respiratory syndrome and death in patients,” a postdoctoral research associate and the paper’s first author Ali Daneshkhah said in the release. “This is what seems to kill a majority of COVID-19 patients, not the destruction of the lungs by the virus itself. It is the complications from the misdirected fire from the immune system.”

Despite the paper’s findings, Backman said in the release that people should not take excessive doses of vitamin D because it may have negative side effects. The article has not been certified by peer review, and Backman added that the subject needs further research in order to find how vitamin D can be used most effectively to protect against COVID-19 complications.

6 hours ago, Branno said:

I was basically scanning what you wrote, and got to this part and realized there was nothing I could say that you wouldn't just hand wave away. I then re-read the parts above it more carefully and laughed. So thanks for that.

That's rather presumptive of you. I'm all for having a conversation with as much pros and cons on the subject as possible, combined with the relevant data, to be able to make an informed decision. Your following sentence makes the bolded, classic projection, as it is a "hand wave away" of a discussion because you don't agree with the comment....and you'd be welcome for the "laughs" if the situation was laughable. 

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

If we as a country screw this whole reopening and relaxing thing up resulting in a curve that isn’t so flat anymore, 

Which, we will. 30 to 40% of the country doesn't believe in science, thinks wearing a mask is an affront to their liberty and will eat any conspiracy fed to them.  Even when cases and hospitalizations start going up again they'll call it fake news. We're a country full of fat, stupid people.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

To you dooms day opinions, why has Nebraska's daily case count gone down since easing restrictions?  Most of us with a positive frame of mind are purely looking at what is actually happing.  Our cases are going down.  Hospital capacity is still ok.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2
10 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

To you dooms day opinions, why has Nebraska's daily case count gone down since easing restrictions?  Most of us with a positive frame of mind are purely looking at what is actually happing.  Our cases are going down.  Hospital capacity is still ok.  

Because numbers aren't being reported accurately. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Toe said:

Florida in particular is super f-d up; they fired a woman for refusing to fudge data to show that cases were going down. 

To the jacka$$ throwing out laughing reactions: when was the last time we got accurate numbers out of Grand Island?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
21 hours ago, Hilltop said:

This isn't the Spanish Flu.  Modern Medicine is light years ahead of 1918.  We have solid information on how to avoid the spread.  The numbers would be much better if we could get some of the non-English speaking minority groups on the same page.  Take a look at the nationwide demographics and where a large percentage of the cases are.  Keeping the country under lock down isn't going to fix that.     

Not sure where you're going here. Modern medicine is light years ahead of 1918, and the solid information it gives us tells us things modern Americans don't want to hear or follow.

If we get non-English speaking minority groups on the same page, they will refuse to risk their lives at the meatpacking plants and Amazon fulfillment centers that continue to serve folks with safe work from home jobs and savings accounts.  If the English-speaking white folk in Montgomery, Alabama hadn't gone out in public to protest the quarantine, maybe Montgomery wouldn't have seen a 110% spike in coronavirus cases two weeks later, which has now overwhelmed every hospital bed in the city. Let's not be quite so racist about who needs to get on what page. 

Modern medicine and technology is also telling us that some of the really deadly March outbreaks are likely traced to a big soccer match in Italy, the CES show in Las Vegas, a medical convention in Boston, and the concentration of Spring Breakers in Florida returning home. 

Even then, nobody is calling for a complete lockdown. Our SIP has been more lax than many countries, and things are reopening right and left. But if you do listen to the solid information of Modern Medicine, they caution that big communal events like sports, concerts and conventions should be the last to resume. The same Modern Medicine also thinks we should absolutely pay attention to the lessons of the 1918 Influenza pandemic, when we declared victory too early and the death toll came back twice as hard. That kinda f#&%s up the economy, too. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I’m not worried so much about Nebraska as I think Governor Ricketts has approached this pretty level headed so far.   It’s SEC territory that I’m most concerned about.  Mainly because of population and general political beliefs on the matter. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

You're kin have been wrong about the trajectory of this virus from the start.... "It's a hoax", "it's not a pandemic", "it'll soon be zero", "it'll miraculously disappear in April", "if we just close off travel from China we'll be fine", "hydroxychloroquine is a game changer", "we're testing more than any other country in the world", "anyone who needs to get tested, can get tested", "we don't really need testing", "maybe we can all inject disinfectants or shine a bright light through our skin".... Why would you start getting it right now?  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m not worried so much about Nebraska as I think Governor Ricketts has approached this pretty level headed so far.   It’s SEC territory that I’m most concerned about.  Mainly because of population and general political beliefs on the matter. 

I was in the same boat in terms of how Ricketts was handling this at the beginning, but he's fumbled the ball quite a bit the past couple of weeks, between the TestNebraska fiascos and not requiring accurate reporting from sources. 

Takeout margaritas, however, might be the best idea he's ever had. 

• Haha 1
Just now, Cdog923 said:

I was in the same boat in terms of how Ricketts was handling this at the beginning, but he's fumbled the ball quite a bit the past couple of weeks, between the TestNebraska fiascos and not requiring accurate reporting from sources. 

Takeout margaritas, however, might be the best idea he's ever had. 

I agree on the margaritas.  Got to consider everything right?  All in all, though I think he’s been pretty solid.  There will be some mistakes by any govenor, but I appreciate how focuses on NE’s specific situation rather than just going along with whatever the White House wants or what other states are doing. 

• Fire 1
10 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

See the first line in my post. 

They are the numbers we have. So we can b!^@h and whine about numbers we don't like, or use the data available to make smart decisions. If the numbers aren't supporting your argument, they must be inaccurate. It is exhausting. 

It's not about numbers not supporting someone's argument, it's flat-out knowing that it's inaccurate; when the data we have is either A. false or 2. gathered in bad faith, how can you use that to make any sort of "smart decision"?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2