***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2020***

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Haven't heard much out of Blaise Gunnerson (?) since he signed, either.

You'd like to see some development at the position eventually. Tannor? Nothing. Nelson? Only a sophmore, but plays very undisciplined. Payne looks promising, but not sure how much credit Nebraska deserves for that.

I had made the assumption Gunnerson was going to be in full "rehab mode" this season after his hip surgery.  Fingers crossed that went well and he can start to contribute a little more in 2021.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Others at OLB would be Alston and Niko Cooper (sophomores) then Javin Wright Blaise Gunnerson, Jimari Butler and Isaac Gifford (freshmen).  Nick Henrich had been inside then got moved outside to start this year and is now back inside after Miller's injury so he could be either.  Hannah was inside last I knew.

They were pretty high on Wright but he is out for the year with an injury.  Cooper and Alston have a ways to go, imo.  The others are true freshmen so we'll see in a year or two.  

Alston will never play a down here. 

• Thanks 1

Not going to lie, I am most excited about this because it means that maybe Chinander isn't beyond salvaging and that would ultimately be a huge boon for our program.  If our DC somehow can work out here at a top level and continue to build and his scheme can work with the right players, consistency in coaching staff on that side of the ball would be a huge positive for us moving forward. I know people hate him, but those people like to use stats to validate that view.  Can't then ignore stats when the stats improve with upgraded athletes at the LB position. And yes, he still lacks an edge rusher.. If we can do this with a bunch of underclassman and no edge rusher....Worth giving props where they belong, imo. And also more time to build.

• Plus1 4

@Husker03 I'll be honest, I have not been a fan of Chin, but the D won the game against PSU.....I think they were also the deciding factor against Purdue as well.  So 2 wins, IMHO, more a testament to the D than the O.

I'd like to see an edge rusher (who wouldn't), blitz the safety from closer than the next zip code and play more press coverage.  I'm hoping when we get a team of guys like JoJo, CTB, Stille and Williams (I like his attitude) the D will look much better.  Scheme tweak, continue to recruit and DEVELOP and the D looks light years better. 

• Plus1 1

*knocks on wood*  I am also starting, and I mean just barely starting, to find I actually have some trust in this defense. After the final Pelini years, Riley years, and the past 2 years, it has been a loooooonnnngggg time since I have watched games where we need our defense to step up and I was not completely filled with dread.  I like this feeling a lot better, it borders on confidence this year. I hope it continues to become a trend.

• Plus1 3