Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

16 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:
22 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Trevor Lawrence is already the #1 pick. If you are him you only have risk with no reward.

You aren't wrong but that makes things tricky for the season. If 1 or 2 do it it won't be that big of a deal but if multiple players from top teams decide to sit it will be interesting to see how things go. Clemson, OSU, Alabama don't want to give up their recruiting edge but at the same time what else do you do. They are gone either way I suppose.

I believe we will start to the see more of this; I also believe there will be those players who will want to redshirt instead of burning a year on just what could be a suspended/cancelled season. Why play just 3 or 4 games or sit there and wait, and wait, and wait?  

I also predict that recruits will commit early so they get their NLI secured since there won't be any campus visits for games. These recruits do not have the luxury of waiting around and cause a suspense scene because the offer may not be there at a later time if someone jumps ahead of them. 

I also predict that there will be a mass team exodus as a protest, on some teams, mostly PAC 12 teams, that will, as a group, opt out of the season when they realize that they are being used for money when all the other sports are either cancelled, suspended by the NCAA AND that there are no students on campus. I see this at either California or Stanford or even Oregon State maybe even Oregon or Washington due to the unrest in Portland and Seattle possibly. They will clamor that the school is not making it safe for them when the argument that other students cannot be on campus because it is unsafe. 

I also predict that if another pro-athlete has tested positive and has complications, this is going to be a BIG domino. 

• Plus1 1

I also predict that Kansas45 will give dire predictions tomorrow as well.  Some of what you post may come true but man it has to be sad to be so negative all the time.  I'm hopeful we some football in 4 weeks.  Crazy to think but this year could be a huge turning point for Nebraska, especially if there is a lot of talent sitting out from the other sidelines.  

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I also predict that Kansas45 will give dire predictions tomorrow as well.  Some of what you post may come true but man it has to be sad to be so negative all the time.  I'm hopeful we some football in 4 weeks.  Crazy to think but this year could be a huge turning point for Nebraska, especially if there is a lot of talent sitting out from the other sidelines.  

Thank you. I also predict that:

1. I will continue to get on your nerves;

2. I will make predictions based on the best available evidence from multiple sources and extrapolate what that could mean; one can easily see trends occurring. 

3. Chris Schmidt of Hail Varsity will continue to believe, to his dying day, that there will be football come hell or high water; I suggest you tune into his podcast to counter my rantings. There could be a nuclear holocaust going on and he will be asking "if there is no season could Nebraska go rogue and make their own schedule? I say we should as we need football."

But you stated: I'm hopeful we some football in 4 weeks. Is this indicative of some doubt? 

I am not sad or negative, but I can see why you would have that perception, if you are basing all your hopes, dreams and desires on having a season and have your mind racing "we gotta have football" like it is some type of oxygen that you need to live your life whereas I am simply being a realist and pragmatist. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, kansas45 said:

I also predict that recruits will commit early so they get their NLI secured since there won't be any campus visits for games. These recruits do not have the luxury of waiting around and cause a suspense scene because the offer may not be there at a later time if someone jumps ahead of them.

I think this is a possibility. 

If the season starts to become herky-jerky fairly early on (like the Marlins having to postpone an entire week of games) and the NCAA rules on eligibility of players that sit out (or the season ends after only 2 or 3 games). If the NCAA makes the decision to grant an extra year of eligibility across the board but decides not to allow for expanded scholarship amounts, that would really tighten things up and would probably cause a surge in early NLI signings.

And given the NCAA's history I'm sure they will find a way to do the stupidest possible choice in dealing with the scholarship situation.

I would hope the NCAA will come up with a better solution, but skepticism toward their process is usually the safest approach, until the actual decision is made.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

1. I will continue to get on your nerves;

2. I will make predictions based on the best available evidence from multiple sources and extrapolate what that could mean; one can easily see trends occurring. 

3. Chris Schmidt of Hail Varsity will continue to believe, to his dying day, that there will be football come hell or high water; I suggest you tune into his podcast to counter my rantings. There could be a nuclear holocaust going on and he will be asking "if there is no season could Nebraska go rogue and make their own schedule? I say we should as we need football."

But you stated: I'm hopeful we some football in 4 weeks. Is this indicative of some doubt? 

I am not sad or negative, but I can see why you would have that perception, if you are basing all your hopes, dreams and desires on having a season and have your mind racing "we gotta have football" like it is some type of oxygen that you need to live your life whereas I am simply being a realist and pragmatist. 

I just think you are being a pessimist.  I'll be hunting in Wyoming during the first 2 weeks of season and won't watch a couple in October for the same reasons.  I love Husker football but my world doesn't revolve around it. 

I truly believe the kids should be playing.  I truly believe our media is preying on scared people.  Yes the virus is real and should be a concern- especially for anyone over the age of 35.  However the data suggests that is doesn't impact the young enough to really even be a concern imo.  It certainly has less impact than the flu for them from everything we know now. 

But what about the UNKNOWNS???  That's just it, they don't know and I refuse to be scared of what might be. 

I know, but what about the extreme case of (fill in the blank).  There are extreme cases of just about everything.  IMO, we can't live our lives worried about the small % chance that something bad will happen.

Our beliefs won't likely ever align and that's ok.  Work is slow today and it has been fun to be on today.  Especially with the thread Knap started about the Frankenstein schedule.  I'm merely suggesting you consider there could be some positives if you look for them.   

• Fire 2

Hilltop: Let me do something that simply irritates many here. Let's break this down. hahahahaha

[I just think you are being a pessimist.  I'll be hunting in Wyoming during the first 2 weeks of season and won't watch a couple in October for the same reasons.  I love Husker football but my world doesn't revolve around it. ]

Thank you. But actually I am the optimistic-pessimist. I am 100% positive that things are going to go horribly wrong. My family tree is one in which we have always relied on our unwavering faith that if things are going good, something bad is right around the corner. Let me give you an example: when we were cutting wheat, I asked what we are going to do if it hails? only to get the response "we aren't that lucky." My faith denomination strives for the ultimate in humility. But have fun hunting in Wyoming. 

[I truly believe the kids should be playing.  I truly believe our media is preying on scared people.  Yes the virus is real and should be a concern- especially for anyone over the age of 35.  However the data suggests that is doesn't impact the young enough to really even be a concern imo.  It certainly has less impact than the flu for them from everything we know now.]

You can ride that crop duster all you want. It is not logic that I am willing to run on as the minute I start thinking things are going good, BOOM!!!, I'm am going to look like a fool. 

[But what about the UNKNOWNS???  That's just it, they don't know and I refuse to be scared of what might be.]

I recall Luke Skywalker telling Yoda that he was not afraid only to have Yoda say "you will be."  

[I know, but what about the extreme case of (fill in the blank).  There are extreme cases of just about everything.  IMO, we can't live our lives worried about the small % chance that something bad will happen.]

Like the small chance that the game you are hunting will pop up with an AK-47 to even the odds? But this is why you are able to enjoy your hunting because we have learned from the bad things that have happened to people to make it better and safer and more enjoyable. Sure, you could be out there waiting to bag that big prize and a meteor hit you. But you also have to consider all the safety variables that have come second nature to you with experience. In clinical science and teacher education and other things, we teach "what not to do" just as much as we teach "what to do." With so many unknowns, we have to strongly consider the unknowns as very real possibilities and be mindful of such in order to know "what to do". Since this is so new to all of us, we want to lessen the risk as much as possible and consider all the variables possible because we have no experience with this.  But this is the clinical scientist in me speaking. I like pleasant surprises instead of "oh crap" surprises. 

[Our beliefs won't likely ever align and that's ok.  Work is slow today and it has been fun to be on today.  Especially with the thread Knap started about the Frankenstein schedule.  I'm merely suggesting you consider there could be some positives if you look for them. ]

I have considered them. Yet they do not make any sense. But please tell us, what are those positives? Maybe we are missing a key insight that you have.    

• Haha 1
Just now, Notre Dame Joe said:

Notre Dame Joins ACC

Reveal hidden contents

for 2020 season

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/acc-football-schedule-2020-notre-dame-joins-league-for-11-game-season-with-one-nonconference-contest/

[the ACC] will play 11 games, including 10 ACC contests and one nonconference game against an opponent that resides in the home state of league members.

So what do you think about Notre Dame being an "unofficial official" member of the ACC for 2020?

2 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

So what do you think about Notre Dame being an "unofficial official" member of the ACC for 2020?

I'm not thrilled with it but it's still a reasonable compromise under the circumstances.  Mostly because some other OOC opponents {Wisconsin, Stanford, Southern Cal} accepted their conference office cancelling our game without saying a word.

I would have respected the ACC more if they had said You may play more games but if you want a conference championship you'll have to join the conference.

6 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'm not thrilled with it but it's still a reasonable compromise under the circumstances.  Mostly because some other OOC opponents {Wisconsin, Stanford, Southern Cal} accepted their conference office cancelling our game without saying a word.

I would have respected the ACC more if they had said You may play more games but if you want a conference championship you'll have to join the conference.

I suppose they wanted to avoid the potential embarrassment of having Notre Dame play 10 ACC games, go 10-0, and have the rest of the teams all lose at least 1 game.  Pretty hard to say team X was a real champion in that scenario.

• Plus1 1

Since I am incoherent and a pessimist, here is some news for you all.

In a reversal of an earlier announcement, Georgetown University announced Wednesday that classes for the fall 2020 semester will start online.

https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2020/07/georgetown-university-to-begin-classes-online-in-fall/

Has nothing to do with Husker football? It gets better.

Still, nothing to do with Husker football. Getting closer to Big 10 country....

The Illinois High School Association on Wednesday put the football season — at least in the traditional sense — on ice due to continuing concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic. According to a new plan introduced by the IHSA, there will be a streamlined football season from Feb. 15 to May 1. Girls volleyball and boys soccer have also been moved to that time frame.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/sports/ct-sta-spt-ihsa-fall-sports-st-073020-20200729-m3hudrtmmrethcvrftoruh2tsy-story.html

And now the parents: (found out about this on the Paul Finebaum Show today)

https://www.sportscasting.com/retired-all-pro-chris-hinton-wants-a-voice-in-deciding-if-ncaa-football-gets-played/

To that end, Chris and Mya Hinton created College Football Parents 24/7, an advocacy group that the Chicago Tribune reports has grown to nearly 2,000 parents of athletes with a goal to keep pressure on the NCAA to adhere to smart and consistent guidelines for starting up the college football season.

In looking up the term "wrongful death" "NCAA" I found this: 

https://alexanderlaw.com/blog/2018/12/wrongful-death-lawsuits-against-ncaa/

Just replace CTE with covid and you have a lawsuit.

But other than that, I think we will have a college football season this year. There, is that positive or what? 

2 hours ago, kansas45 said:

How much you wanna bet

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

How much you wanna bet

Is this a question or a statement? If you could clarify I would be most appreciative. Predictions is all about football. Don't we all predict if we are going to win or not? And then give reasons why we think we will win or lose? Their running game is much stronger, our passing game is better and so forth? If there was not this covid situation raging, we would all be talking about the starting lineup and predicting the depth chart, predicting the Purdue game, and predicting the entire season of wins and losses. 

Just think of this as college football vs covid and see who is going to win. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29559931/three-pro-bowl-lineman-lane-johnson-tests-positive-placed-reserve-covid-19-list-eagles

Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson has tested positive for COVID-19, he announced Wednesday, but said he feels "strong and ready to go."Linebacker Nathan Gerry and tackle Jordan Mailata were also placed on the list, which was created for a player who either tests positive for COVID-19 or who has been in close contact with an infected person or persons. 

Chiefs RB Damien Williams opting out of 2020 season

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29560047/chiefs-rb-damien-williams-opting-2020-season

The Kansas City Chiefs had a second starter from their Super Bowl LIV victory opt out because of coronavirus concerns, as running back Damien Williams informed team officials he would sit out the 2020 season.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1