Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

17 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think people will be surprised how many would want to comeback - maybe I'm wrong as well. There are a lot of college kids who get a lot of PT or even start that know their NFL dreams are slim. 

I am only going off a friend that played for the Skers years ago...he was a walk-on and never played, just a few XP's here and there...he said going into his senior year he hated it, hated lifting, hated practice hate it all.  He said he was just finishing out because it was almost done.  I think for a lot of seniors, the ones who don't play or know they won't play, look at that senior season like a worker looks at their last two weeks...you are just sort of riding it out.

Just now, Jason Sitoke said:

I’ve actually been surprised to learn that the flu killed 80,000 people (estimated) in the U.S. in 2018..and we have an annual vaccine for it. 

Anyone that can do basic math realizes this is deadlier than influenza, but why people want to pretend that the flu is no big deal, I have no idea. 

I dont think anyone is saying the flu is no big deal, but this is magnitudes worse than the worst flu season(2018 is one of the worst in recent history) so conflating the two is irresponsible imo. Its funny because people ask me, well this many people die from the flu, if we care about flu deaths wouldn't we wear masks for that? My answer is always maybe we should. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

I dont think anyone is saying the flu is no big deal, but this is magnitudes worse than the worst flu season(2018 is one of the worst in recent history) so conflating the two is irresponsible imo. Its funny because people ask me, well this many people die from the flu, if we care about flu deaths wouldn't we wear masks for that? My answer is always maybe we should. 

Huh?  Comparing a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic to the 2018 flu season is unfair because ‘it was a really bad flu season’?  
Agreed on the masks. I think you will see it more after this. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well, I think with the flu it is different because we have all grown up with it...like...it isn't new to us and it isn't the top news story.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
10 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Huh?  Comparing a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic to the 2018 flu season is unfair because ‘it was a really bad flu season’?  

You misunderstand. The worst flu season in recent memory still isn't close to COVID. They aren't that comparable. CDC estimates 61k deaths that flu season too so idk where you got 80k. They aren't really even close. We can gather more studying MERS and SARS.

Edit: now with that said it is a pet peeve of mine when people say things aren't comparable because you can compare everything, they don't have to be the same that isnt the purpose of a comparison. So for breaking my own pet peeve I apologize 

• Plus1 2

Is it deadlier than the flu though? If you had no flu vaccine how many more would it kill? Also coronavirus is lingering around longer so it has a chance to kill more due to longevity. The reason everyone accepts the flu is because we all know it has always been around, we know there is no cure so we accept it because we can’t change it. Coronavirus is new, if the day comes we have a vaccine and it comes back every year like the flu- like some believe it may be here to stay. 10 years from now we will become numb to it just like the flu and accept it 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Is it deadlier than the flu though? If you had no flu vaccine how many more would it kill? Also coronavirus is lingering around longer so it has a chance to kill more due to longevity. The reason everyone accepts the flu is because we all know it has always been around, we know there is no cure so we accept it because we can’t change it. Coronavirus is new, if the day comes we have a vaccine and it comes back every year like the flu- like some believe it may be here to stay. 10 years from now we will become numb to it just like the flu and accept it 

when we have a vaccine to mitigate its mortality and spread as well as a latent immunity we will be less worried about COVID 19? Well shoot, I guess you're right!

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

You misunderstand. The worst flu season in recent memory still isn't close to COVID. They aren't that comparable. CDC estimates 61k deaths that flu season too so idk where you got 80k. They aren't really even close. We can gather more studying MERS and SARS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

I think we’re talking past each other. I’m not comparing the infections pathogenically.  All I’m saying is folks that say ‘this is just the flu’ are wrong. But people saying ‘this isn’t just the flu’ are also perhaps understating how devastating the flu is every year, as well as it’s long term effects. 

I suppose when things become ‘normal’ and part of the vernacular, human beings learn to calm themselves and adapt. I don’t bat an eye when someone in my family comes down with the flu. I ask them if they want me to bring soup or something. It never really occurs to me that more than a handful of people of all ages die of it every year. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think there are some comparisons we can make but, to your point, we just have to be incredibly careful in doing so.

For example, I did read an interesting account from a Houston nurse who said they're pretty fed up with the narrative that their hospitals have been 'overwhelmed' because of coronavirus. One in particular said that yes, their hospital is pushing its limits, COVID patients have had to wait in the ER lobbies with other patients, and they've had to divert traumas to other hospitals because they simply didn't have the manpower.

But, they also said this is literally their life every single flu season at this hospital. They deal with the exact same problems and say that it's just as overwhelming; yet, nobody seems to really care. Can we blame people? Eh... maybe not. The flu has become sort of a standard that a lot of people generally seem to not care much about. But, I do think it touches on the other point you brought up that maybe wearing masks in public more is the right thing to do.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

I think we’re talking past each other. I’m not comparing the infections pathogenically.  All I’m saying is folks that say ‘this is just the flu’ are wrong. But people saying ‘this isn’t just the flu’ are also perhaps understating how devastating the flu is every year, as well as it’s long term effects. 

I suppose when things become ‘normal’ and part of the vernacular, human beings learn to calm themselves and adapt. I don’t bat an eye when someone in my family comes down with the flu. I ask them if they want me to bring soup or something. It never really occurs to me that more than a handful of people of all ages die of it every year. 

Another flaw with our society regarding "the flu" is that people call a lot of illnesses the flu when they really aren't.  It desensitizes us to the real flu's severity.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I've started wearing neck gaiters and I love them. They're comfortable and they look good.

Just now, Jason Sitoke said:

I’ll be honest. I used to side eye people I saw wearing masks in international airports.  I think they were onto something. 

Same. Never thought we'd be here, but this is our reality now. And really, it's no worse than wearing pants in public.

• Thanks 2