OWH: Now Is the Time to Reconfigure Memorial Stadium

23 hours ago, KingBlank said:

He has clearly never worked in bar, the PPV games were always the most packed. 

Youre 100% right, never worked at a bar in my life.  But having been a proud patron to countless watch sites for who knows how many games, there simply isnt a compelling reason for me given the product on display to spend hundreds more on crappier drinks, food and a much longer wait for the bathroom vs just being at home or a friends house.  

This team gets back to winning those watch sites numbers will increase dramatically.  You make it sound like the bars are doomed solely because of the decline and elimination of PPV and nothing to do with the fact that we have not had a game of actual meaning going back to the 2012 big 10 title game lolol 

14 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

lol, can you honestly tell me the last time games were on ppv only?  Feel like we're talking 2005 here.... I'd argue (outside of the quality of the product on the field) the advancement and cheapness in TVs played a much bigger role in the decline of watch sites.  We used to go to various bars that were husker bars all the time growing up to meet up with family friends, that shifted to just going to someones home due to way better tv quality, better food and drinks if you're with the right people.  The above coupled with the fact that we don't really have any big games anymore because we suck a$$ gives me literally no reason to go to a watch site for close to 10 years now.

i guarantee you if this team gets back to a consistent top 15 top 20 year in and year out you're going to see a positive increase in traffic to watch sites.  The vast majority of fans are casual fans at best and dont follow the team on a daily basis... you're delusional if you think the migration away from PPV, that started occurring close to 20 years ago plays a bigger role in watch site decline than the fact that our program has been the epitome of mediocrity for 10 years now

:lol: You agreed with my main premise and then called me delusional.

My whole point was that the convenience and experience of watching at home is better now than it ever has been. Husker fans are going to watch the games until they are no longer fans. Im sure the on field product for the last 20 years has caused some decline in fanbase growth but the discussion began about attendance specifically at watch sites. Call me delusional if you want (especially if you’re going to agree with me :lol:) but every game being on your home TV and that comfort and convenience has had a much bigger impact on watch site attendance than team performance imo.

It may be an age thing as well. I have no desire to go watch at a bar but I would do that if it was the only way to see the game. And 2005 was not that long ago….unless you’re less than 35ish years old.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

:lol: You agreed with my main premise and then called me delusional.

My whole point was that the convenience and experience of watching at home is better now than it ever has been. Husker fans are going to watch the games until they are no longer fans. Im sure the on field product for the last 20 years has caused some decline in fanbase growth but the discussion began about attendance specifically at watch sites. Call me delusional if you want (especially if you’re going to agree with me :lol:) but every game being on your home TV and that comfort and convenience has had a much bigger impact on watch site attendance than team performance imo.

It may be an age thing as well. I have no desire to go watch at a bar but I would do that if it was the only way to see the game. And 2005 was not that long ago….unless you’re less than 35ish years old.

I think fans taking the stance that watch site traffic has declined for their team when their product has been utter garbage is due more-so to the removal of PPV and nothing to do with on the field ineptness qualifies as delusional.

You're telling me if PPV was still around today the watch site interest would be the same or better despite the mediocrity on display?  When was the last time this program actually had a game of consequence in your opinion?  

I live in a pretty large metropolitan area where bars are affiliated with schools and alumni group programs to throw events on game day... Other notable schools we'd like to associate ourselves with seem to have zero issue packing their watch site bars because they get to watch a game that actually has stakes.  

The vast majority of college football fans are not what's represented on this board.  Most are casual at best and will go to watch sites/friends houses more so for the social element than to intensely follow the game.  Casuals aren't inclined to support a loser program and the fact of the matter is we've owned that adjective for close to 10 years now

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Bledred said:

Put a glass dome over the entire stadium:

Untitled.png

Install these seats (in scarlet and cream of course with the N on the back where the eagle is):

download.jpg

And Husker fans would gladly pay 30% more per ticket!  Everyone wins! 

The fact that they have not changed the seating in the stadium since it was built is just sad. Unless someone does not show up in your row, you will be squished in like sardines in a row and even if you buy or bring a stadium cushioned seat, your a** will be flat as a brick, numb and in extreme pain by the time the game ends. 

Seats definitely need to be modernized.  Hope this comment doesn't take too much heat but we really should take a page out of Texas' book on their stadium redesign.

I'm mainly talking about the concession strategy.... Its modern, it feels like a pro atmosphere, and adds to the game day experience.

Compare that with what we have going on- it feels like we're stuck in the 1960s with concessions and restroom concepts that more resemble a weekend at our local sports park.  We have a total lack of food diversity, beverage options and just overall old aesthetics that need an uplift to say the least

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think fans taking the stance that watch site traffic has declined for their team when their product has been utter garbage is due more-so to the removal of PPV and nothing to do with on the field ineptness qualifies as delusional.

You're telling me if PPV was still around today the watch site interest would be the same or better despite the mediocrity on display?  When was the last time this program actually had a game of consequence in your opinion?  

I live in a pretty large metropolitan area where bars are affiliated with schools and alumni group programs to throw events on game day... Other notable schools we'd like to associate ourselves with seem to have zero issue packing their watch site bars because they get to watch a game that actually has stakes.  

The vast majority of college football fans are not what's represented on this board.  Most are casual at best and will go to watch sites/friends houses more so for the social element than to intensely follow the game.  Casuals aren't inclined to support a loser program and the fact of the matter is we've owned that adjective for close to 10 years now

Im sure we’re both right to some degree. All I know is, Im going to watch every game this season on TV at home. If for some reason the only way to see any/all of the games was to go to a bar or watch site, then that is where I would watch the game(s).

Are you telling me you wouldn’t drive 15-30+ minutes to watch a Husker game, this season, at a bar or watch site if you couldn’t watch at home? It may not be scientific but it’s a pretty simple concept. Of course the best teams will draw more fans to their watch sites. Many fans like to gloat in public.

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Im sure we’re both right to some degree. All I know is, Im going to watch every game this season on TV at home. If for some reason the only way to see any/all of the games was to go to a bar or watch site, then that is where I would watch the game(s).

Are you telling me you wouldn’t drive 15-30+ minutes to watch a Husker game, this season, at a bar or watch site if you couldn’t watch at home? It may not be scientific but it’s a pretty simple concept. Of course the best teams will draw more fans to their watch sites. Many fans like to gloat in public.

All I’ll say about this is that in the 15 years I lived in Des Moines, going to the watch site was fun. It brought us all together and felt like a little bit of Lincoln on game day. We all missed it and had fun. 

I was so looking forward to that when I moved back thinking I’d love to get together with fabs to watch the game. Well, not so much. I found that most of my friends back here just like to sit and b!^@h about the team. 

If I’m not in Lincoln or back at the  Des Moines watch site, I just want to sit at home at watch it by myself. 

• Thanks 1
On 8/8/2021 at 11:39 AM, gossamorharpy said:

- placing minima talent into the NFL, really no one of consequence as a skill position for close to a decade 

Do average fans attending watch parties give a crap about who we send to the NFL? Is that really a reason for decreased viewership at these said sites?

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

Do average fans attending watch parties give a crap about who we send to the NFL? Is that really a reason for decreased viewership at these said sites?

Its just another item for people that are going to b!^@h to b!^@h about. My attitude is, be a fan and if that ever isn’t good enough, then don’t be. All this doom and gloom gets on my nerves. Enjoy it or be gone.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 8/9/2021 at 12:01 PM, gossamorharpy said:

Seats definitely need to be modernized.  Hope this comment doesn't take too much heat but we really should take a page out of Texas' book on their stadium redesign.

I'm mainly talking about the concession strategy.... Its modern, it feels like a pro atmosphere, and adds to the game day experience.

Compare that with what we have going on- it feels like we're stuck in the 1960s with concessions and restroom concepts that more resemble a weekend at our local sports park.  We have a total lack of food diversity, beverage options and just overall old aesthetics that need an uplift to say the least

I could not agree with this more.  Our concessions at Memorial are on par with most large high school's concessions.  Our restrooms are on par with what is underneath an overpass.  Completely remodel the concessions areas and make them more than just concrete and a garage door.  Offer new types of food like BBQ, Shakes, and Rotisserie:

download-1.jpg

download-2.jpg

download.jpg

Teardown the restrooms to the bedrock and then sanitize the bedrock with a flamethrower and rebuild them into this:

4fd0bc31ecad04860b00000e.jpg

50 stalls with doors in each restroom area.  Have fans pay $2 to use the restroom for upkeep, cleaning, and repairs.  Have restroom staff guide in people to empty stalls to keep the flow moving (just like the self-checkout lanes). 

• Thanks 1

If NU fails to understand what they are competing against when it comes to how fans determine if they are attending in person or not- they will fail miserably. 

To say screw the fans- they can take it or leave it, would mean nothing would EVER improve the game day experience. NU is competing against a multitude of game day options- all significantly less expensive, more comfortable and more convenient than going in person. AND your core demographic with all the disposable income is aging very quickly. 

Now is not the time to say- screw the customer. That would be a very costly error. Most of the people who complain about our fans- don't even go to the games anyway- that's the funniest part. They complain about the people who are actually keeping the doors open and paying the bills- that's so rich.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

If NU fails to understand what they are competing against when it comes to how fans determine if they are attending in person or not- they will fail miserably. 

To say screw the fans- they can take it or leave it, would mean nothing would EVER improve the game day experience. NU is competing against a multitude of game day options- all significantly less expensive, more comfortable and more convenient than going in person. AND your core demographic with all the disposable income is aging very quickly. 

Now is not the time to say- screw the customer. That would be a very costly error. Most of the people who complain about our fans- dont even go to the games anyway- thats the funny part. 

Unfortunately upgrades can slide a bit at Memorial stadium in Lincoln Nebraska because they really do not have to compete with much. Nothing else in state and the closest similar venue is in KC. I’m sure this somewhat explains why our stadium amenities have not changed or improved since I was a student 40 years ago. The bathrooms and concessions and seating are a bad joke but it’s not like people are going to take their dollars elsewhere. Best hope is that B1G money keeps flowing and they get shamed into improvements.