Jump to content
Danny Bateman

The George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests and police conduct

Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, knapplc said:

 

I think that's exactly what the photographer is implying in his tweet, but he knows better, having taken the shot.

 

Perhaps he's just referring to the symbolism. That would be the most charitable interpretation of his comment.

 

Of all the things we've heard about these past few days, police targeting children is not one of them. While it may be an interesting image, I don't think it's "powerful" because it doesn't convey what he seems to be implying.

 

Agreed. 

It seems that the more inflammatory the better, regarding a lot of social media, and media in general articles and posts...

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/31/2020 at 12:30 PM, teachercd said:

Anyone ever been around tear gas?  I always wondered how nasty that stuff is.

Catching up on this thread so sorry if it’s been answered already. Imagine Vick’s Vapor Rub but as a gas. It’s more dense than air so it can freak out a little bit as if you’re choking or struggling to breathe but if you stay calm you won’t have that problem. Stings your eyes really bad but it does an amazing job of clearing out your sinuses.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

 

Wish they would expose exactly who these people are.

 

Quote

 

Twitter said that the account was in fact linked to Identity Evropa, a white power fraternity.
Though Twitter referred to the group as Identity Evropa when discussing the account's removal, the Anti Defamation League (ADL) states that the group dissolved and reformed under the name the American Identitarian Movement, which it also calls a white supremacist group.
The group promotes itself as "identitarian," that white people should preserve their racial and cultural identity. The American Identitarian Movement says it prohibits violence and illegal activity.
CNN has reached out to the group for comment.
Twitter said it had shut down other fake accounts linked to Identity Evropa, too.
The phenomenon of people on the right creating fake Antifa accounts predates the current wave of protests. The takedown Monday is not the first time a fake Antifa account linked to white supremacists has been suspended by Twitter, the spokesperson confirmed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The power is in the symbolism between the protesters and the militarized police. The photographer issued another tweet to try to clarify:

 

(The following isn't directed at you, BTW :) )

 

I think his attempts to clarify feel a little tone deaf and/or oblivious to the consequences of his initial post, but he deserves some credit for trying.

 

I just think all people covering these events have a clear duty and responsibility to tell honest, unimpeachable stories. He shared a compelling image and tweet that, upon first viewing, appear to tell a very specific story. It takes a bit of a critical eye to realize that an angle and depth manipulation is distorting the reality of what we think we're seeing.

 

If the true story is 'this cop had a launcher raised and occasionally passed it over the area of the man with his child from a distance,' that's not the one the image is telling. The image is trying to say 'this cop pointed a gun directly in the face of a man with a small child.' This situation probably should've never been shared in this format IMO.

  • Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Catching up on this thread so sorry if it’s been answered already. Imagine Vick’s Vapor Rub but as a gas. It’s more dense than air so it can freak out a little bit as if you’re choking or struggling to breathe but if you stay calm you won’t have that problem. Stings your eyes really bad but it does an amazing job of clearing out your sinuses.

Sounds like what wasabi does to me!

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone doing anything different at home because of the rioting/looting?

 

Like, having a gun ready, making sure doors are locked all the time, making sure the car(s) are inside the garage all the time...

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

(The following isn't directed at you, BTW :) )

 

I think his attempts to clarify feel a little tone deaf and/or oblivious to the consequences of his initial post, but he deserves some credit for trying.

 

I just think all people covering these events have a clear duty and responsibility to tell honest, unimpeachable stories. He shared a compelling image and tweet that, upon first viewing, appear to tell a very specific story. It takes a bit of a critical eye to realize that an angle and depth manipulation is distorting the reality of what we think we're seeing.

 

If the true story is 'this cop had a launcher raised and occasionally passed it over the area of the man with his child from a distance,' that's not the one the image is telling. The image is trying to say 'this cop pointed a gun directly in the face of a man with a small child.' This situation probably should've never been shared in this format IMO.

Good post. A different medium that allowed context to the image would have been much better.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Anyone doing anything different at home because of the rioting/looting?

 

Like, having a gun ready, making sure doors are locked all the time, making sure the car(s) are inside the garage all the time...

I live in SW Omaha. Not doing anything different. My wife was freaked out, but I told her 99.99999% of the protestors are peaceful. There will be a few with bad intentions but those people will get snuffed out by police. There was lots of unnecessary paranoia in Omaha that rioters were gonna come to west Omaha and start destroying things. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I live in SW Omaha. Not doing anything different. My wife was freaked out, but I told her 99.99999% of the protestors are peaceful. There will be a few with bad intentions but those people will get snuffed out by police. There was lots of unnecessary paranoia in Omaha that rioters were gonna come to west Omaha and start destroying things. 

Yeah, I am NW Omaha and have not seen anything different yet, I mean except stores closing early.  I did hear a few more sirens two nights ago but that was it.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Anyone doing anything different at home because of the rioting/looting?

 

Like, having a gun ready, making sure doors are locked all the time, making sure the car(s) are inside the garage all the time...

Nothing different on our end. We pretty much have the same routine every evening - turn on all of the flood lights around the house, check all doors/windows are locked and activate the alarm system.

 

We are gun owners and we follow a set of safe practices with those already, but I can't deny that I double checked the weapons late yesterday afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Nothing different on our end. We pretty much have the same routine every evening - turn on all of the flood lights around the house, check all doors/windows are locked and activate the alarm system.

 

We are gun owners and we follow a set of safe practices with those already, but I can't deny that I double checked the weapons late yesterday afternoon.

I am picturing you with a leather holster, gun loaded, watching Tombstone (and also heating up a Tombstone in the oven)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am picturing you with a leather holster, gun loaded, watching Tombstone (and also heating up a Tombstone in the oven)

Saying "I'm your Huckleberry" over and over again to no one in particular.

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...