Pre-Season Pressers

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Not sugar coating ... apparently ...

I mean, he fired his OLB coach, that should tell you all you need to know about how he felt about that group last year. :P

Like seeing this. I think underestimating the physicality of the Big Ten plagued the Riley years, and it's taken some time under Frost to get that ramped up. 

LINK

The Huskers have purposely chosen under Frost’s direction to have heavy, physical practices, with plenty of live tackling and offensive and defensive lines squaring off against each other. Frost said NU didn’t have the luxury of ramping up slowly.

Nebraska will have a live scrimmage this weekend, likely without the aid of music or noise, since the team will be playing in empty Big Ten stadiums.

“We’re going to keep hitting,” Frost said. “I want us to be tough and play with that type of attitude. We’ll keep as many healthy as we can but we need to get more physical.”

30 minutes ago, Decked said:

Hopefully with the removal of one Alex Davis the OLB group is also better 

25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

He was sooooo bad, well soooooo average.  Like, almost unreal how he never seemed to do anything. 

An outside linebacker in a 3-4 who had 30 total tackles and 4 TFLs is pretty average. For comparison a really good OLB would be like Wisconsin's Baun who had 52 solo tackles and 75 total with 19.5 for a loss and 12.5 sacks. We need a Baun really bad.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Like seeing this. I think underestimating the physicality of the Big Ten plagued the Riley years, and it's taken some time under Frost to get that ramped up. 

LINK

I agree. 

I know part of the opinion was that they didn't want to get guys hurt in practice.  But, at this point, I'm of the opinion to have tough physical practices to make the games easier.  If someone gets hurt, next man up.  We haven't had a winning season in quite a while.  If this year is that way because we were too physical in practice and got guys banged up...so be it.

Also, it's only a 9 game season.  So, the tough practices can be similar to the 3 OOC games they aren't playing.

This also instills a certain attitude.  Bring it every day.

• Plus1 2

Scott Frost said about the OLB group:
"If nothing else, that group's going to get better because of the coach."

Yeah, that's blunt. And I really like it. Frost's commitment to bring us back is really showing in some of the moves he's made. Firing Dewitt had to happen.

I have to admit I maybe reached over and slowly grabbed that half-empty glass of Kool-Aid and took one little sip after reading through some of these quotes from him. Just a little sip, guys. Then I slowly pushed the glass back to the other side of the desk.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yeah, that's blunt. And I really like it. Frost's commitment to bring us back is really showing in some of the moves he's made. Firing Dewitt had to happen.

I have to admit I maybe reached over and slowly grabbed that half-empty glass of Kool-Aid and took one little sip after reading through some of these quotes from him. Just a little sip, guys. Then I slowly pushed the glass back to the other side of the desk.

:koolaid2:

I've been drinking for months! He's been very blunt about OLB and WR, hoping we made the right moves there to get it fixed. I don't think talent is a problem either place, particularly WR. 

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

An outside linebacker in a 3-4 who had 30 total tackles and 4 TFLs is pretty average. For comparison a really good OLB would be like Wisconsin's Baun who had 52 solo tackles and 75 total with 19.5 for a loss and 12.5 sacks. We need a Baun really bad.

I'd say it's below average. Most people probably can't even name Wisky's other OLB last year because he was almost a complete non-factor (Burks), and he had 36 tackles, 7 for loss, 2 sacks and a pick. 2 years ago, on their 'bad' defense that wasn't top ten the OLBs had 62/59 tackles, 7.5/9.5 for loss, and 2.5/5.5 sacks.

I was really pulling for Davis to get it figured out, but at best he did his job and made a tackle. No splash plays, his biggest were a fluke interception dropped by the receiver and falling on a forced fumble in the end zone. And I don't think that's all his fault - clearly a good chunk of the blame went to the coaching.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

:koolaid2:

I've been drinking for months! He's been very blunt about OLB and WR, hoping we made the right moves there to get it fixed. I don't think talent is a problem either place, particularly WR. 

I'd say it's below average. Most people probably can't even name Wisky's other OLB last year because he was almost a complete non-factor (Burks), and he had 36 tackles, 7 for loss, 2 sacks and a pick. 2 years ago, on their 'bad' defense that wasn't top ten the OLBs had 62/59 tackles, 7.5/9.5 for loss, and 2.5/5.5 sacks.

I was really pulling for Davis to get it figured out, but at best he did his job and made a tackle. No splash plays, his biggest were a fluke interception dropped by the receiver and falling on a forced fumble in the end zone. And I don't think that's all his fault - clearly a good chunk of the blame went to the coaching.

We really haven't had the type of player on the end that we need since Randy Gregory.  I can't even think who would fit that bill before him.

That's how bad our DE/OLB play has been for a long time.

For the most part, I think it has been a talent issue. 

Can anyone name a player that they think would have been good over that span if they had better coaching?

13 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think another big thing about the player that we plug in as that "standup end" is whether or not they can actually pass rush. Alex's tackle stats are one thing...and then his ability to get to the QB is another issue as well.

I think year three for Chinander will give both him, Frost, and fans quite a bit of confirmation about whether or not some of Chinander's philosophy actually works well or not.

Everybody will have their own opinion on this but in year three I won't personally entertain any excuses about not having the right talent at that outside spot. If you expect one single guy to be the pass rusher and he can't get to the QB, then you have to change what you're doing & bring the house, IMO.

I remember one play against Indiana last year where I think Tannor ran free on a stunt and popped their QB right in the numbers with his helmet. Probably should have been a roughing penalty by today's standards but was a 'good hit' by yesteryear's standards. Anyway, I was like "Finally; where has that been all year!" One more big hit like that and that QB would have probably had to leave the game. We need more of that.

Anyway, the most frustrating part about all of this talk for me is the fear that we'll have a bunch of games get cancelled due to COVID. I just want to see our team get out there and watch some of this younger talent play!

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can anyone name a player that they think would have been good over that span if they had better coaching?

Good point, and I don't think I can, no. Maybe could have been better collectively as a unit in terms of knowing where to be on the field to stop the run, but not being better pass rushers from better coaching.

Not to harp on this too hard...but it is preseason...your point is of course well taken with Gregory. That guy was so talented you probably could have put him at any spot in the front seven and he would have gotten to the QB. He was long, lean, agile, & strong. Unbelievable talent.

But what do you do if you don't have that guy? Do you ask the guy with the best body type that fits the build to just pointlessly go up against an offensive tackle all game long and get schooled? That's basically what happened the last two seasons at that spot.

So I think coaching comes in there to at least a degree where maybe you say "Well, this isn't working, so let's dial up some creative blitz packages to get to their QB."