Pre-Season Pressers

If Jack Stoll was going out on a lot of routes last year and getting open, I missed it, because the pocket collapsed after about a second and a half on Martinez the majority of the time, IMO.

I'm fixated on how our tight ends play physical and block hard in the running game much more than on how they play as route runners, I guess.

But, Stoll is a pretty solid blocker.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Undone said:

If Jack Stoll was going out on a lot of routes last year and getting open, I missed it, because the pocket collapsed after about a second and a half on Martinez the majority of the time, IMO.

I'm fixated on how our tight ends play physical and block hard in the running game much more than on how they play as route runners, I guess.

But, Stoll is a pretty solid blocker.

He was not very good blocking on the perimeter.  We as a whole were pretty awful on the perimeter last year.  

• Plus1 2

Sounds like Wandale is a little banged up but fwiw, I’ve heard they’re just being careful with him. He came back hungry and without rust so no real reason to risk him getting hurt before the season starts.

Frost sounded beyond frustrated with Omar Manning. Think he’s sick of taking questions about it and he made it clear that guys who aren’t committed to practicing aren’t going to play. Hopefully, whatever’s going on gets figured out. At least it sounds like he has a path back unlike what some of the rumors were speculating during the week.

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is not exactly a ringing endorsement of our two-year starter.

Unless McCaffrey is just that good - in which case you start him and bench Martinez, because McCaffrey's upside would clearly be higher.

:facepalm:I'm sure it has nothing to do with a head coach trying to keep his 2nd string guy happy.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Unless McCaffrey is just that good - in which case you start him and bench Martinez, because McCaffrey's upside would clearly be higher.

I don't disagree.  Although this is somewhat encouraging in the fact that if we seemingly start the wrong one, hopefully there won't be much hesitation in giving the other one a shot.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

:facepalm:I'm sure it has nothing to do with a head coach trying to keep his 2nd string guy happy.

Honestly Frost has never had any problem with saying AM is undoubtably the starter, not sure why he would start playing these games now. From what we've seen from AM and Luke, would it shock anyone if Luke were pushing him? Wouldn't shock me one bit.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Meh....I mark this up to coach speak to keep Martinez focused and keep McCaffrey motivated to keep pushing him.  I'd be surprised if Martinez isn't the starter on the 24th.

BUT....if he isn't, Martinez obviously hadn't improved from last year and McCaffrey did.  If that's the case, bring on Luke.  

Best player plays.

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

AM is 100% starting vs Ohio St...but if he doesn't perform this year we will see Luke unlike last year. Now that he already used his Redshirt

I agree, if not for any other reason than experience.  If those two are truly equal, AM starts.  

26 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Sounds like Wandale is a little banged up but fwiw, I’ve heard they’re just being careful with him. He came back hungry and without rust so no real reason to risk him getting hurt before the season starts.

Frost sounded beyond frustrated with Omar Manning. Think he’s sick of taking questions about it and he made it clear that guys who aren’t committed to practicing aren’t going to play. Hopefully, whatever’s going on gets figured out. At least it sounds like he has a path back unlike what some of the rumors were speculating during the week.

He seemed kinda pissed off in general. I get working some snark into answers what you consider dumb questions, but he was a little less forgiving than usual IMO. Hopefully not a bad sign for the start of the season. 

• Plus1 2