Holidays and Family Gatherings during the Pandemic

How will your family handle the holidays?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have a son in NC and one here in Tulsa. Both have families with the worlds best grandkids.   We are talking about some kind of zoom meeting -  either us locals get together and zoom in the NC family or all 3 families get on zoom, eat the same meal.  If the NC

family runs out of mash potatoes, I'll just throw some on the camera lens to help them out  :D.

Ha, this just came up in family Zoom call. There was some talk of getting the family together in Nebraska for Thanksgiving but we have no intention of participating. A few people on the call were currently quarantining because they had recently tested positive while others who have had contact with those people aren’t quarantining and haven’t even been tested. It’s all my wife’s family anyway so I’m usually looking for an excuse to get out of that trip (unless there is a home Husker game).

We’ll get our immediate family together, us and our kids, but not planning on any extended family gatherings this year. I like it more that way anyway.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My mother turns 90 in December and my father has asked what I'm planning for her.

Right now, it gets the same answer and I feel bad about it.

It's sad. So many milestone birthdays have gone by with little to no celebration. So many weddings with few or no guests, or just postponed entirely. 

My wife and I have been super careful all year long so we would have the chance to visit our parents and not be at risk of spreading anything. But both my wife's sisters and my own brother have not been as careful, so gatherings of extended family are unlikely. 

We live 9-12 hours away from hour folks, so if we end up not traveling for the holidays this year, I won't be extremely heartbroken.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who the F*** knows?

I'm in the "just trying to get through the week" crowd.

My mother turns 90 in December and my father has asked what I'm planning for her.

Congrats to your mom, and obviously your dad as well. Hopefully you are able to conjure something that will delight your folks...after all 90 is quite a milestone...and yet keep them distanced and safe. 

Good luck.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Who the F*** knows?

I'm in the "just trying to get through the week" crowd.

Yep, I sure understand.  my dad turned 90 in Feb.  We put the celebration off until Memorial weekend.  In the end we ended up doing one of those on line video 'card' - all of the relatives spoke.  The locals in Sioux Falls dropped by to sit on the drive way for a while and talk.  We had planned a big BQ.  Mom has COPD so no one but dad in the house and he has to be careful. 

I haven't thought that far ahead, but my wife's immediate family are the ones who usually host the big holiday gatherings and I know they're generally unconcerned about COVID and social distancing. There might be a couple of people who choose not to attend but I think they're going to plan for the usual gatherings.

My side of the family is much smaller so we will probably do something at my home.