Censorship

Just now, teachercd said:

This is basically 100% what was said at the time.  I know that Covid-Bros will be like "Well, they didn't know everything yet" which is fine and I agree but this is pretty what was said over and over at first.

It’s amazing that posters here can’t admit that many people got many things wrong on Covid.  Figuring out what we did wrong and what ended up being right should be a priority going forward since Covid will not be the kart pandemic the world encounters.  

Instead, its like pulling teeth to get “The Experts” in this country to talk about it and just admit to not knowing s#!t at the time on what to do (or knowing it came from a lab and stop slow rolling the inevitable conclusion), letting the public know they were kinda making educated guesses, they are sorry for denigrating others that were correct on a few things, and now learn from the past.  

• Fire 3

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s amazing that posters here can’t admit that many people got many things wrong on Covid.  Figuring out what we did wrong and what ended up being right should be a priority going forward since Covid will not be the kart pandemic the world encounters.  

Instead, its like pulling teeth to get “The Experts” in this country to talk about it and just admit to not knowing s#!t at the time on what to do (or knowing it came from a lab and stop slow rolling the inevitable conclusion), letting the public know they were kinda making educated guesses, they are sorry for denigrating others that were correct on a few things, and now learn from the past.  

Which posters are you referring to?

A lot of mistakes were made in the early stages of COVID. A lot of 'best guess' guidelines and mandates as well, would be insane to expect otherwise considering the incompetency of our leadership combined with the fact that virtually nobody living had ever had any experience with this type of thing and also combined with the fact that it was a novel virus we needed to figure out on the fly.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

A lot of mistakes were made in the early stages of COVID. A lot of 'best guess' guidelines and mandates as well, would be insane to expect otherwise considering the incompetency of our leadership combined with the fact that virtually nobody living had ever had any experience with this type of thing and also combined with the fact that it was a novel virus we needed to figure out on the fly.

I think that is the point though.  That all these "best guesses" were taken as fact(s), which is normal, it is how things work.  I think what he is saying (and me too) is that how/when do you censor things?

Like say a bomb goes off in America and the first few tweets from authorities are "We think it might be Russia", okay, so does that get flagged?  Does that get censored?  

It was just be really hard to pick what gets censored.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

They're not really mistakes if we're still learning, are they. 90% of what people get up in arms about is Faici supposedly switching gears on masks. Which comes from comments made prior to us knowing COVID was already in the US if I'm not mistaken, and was also done because we would have run out of masks almost immediately.

The other big one is morons saying that the mask isn't totally effective. Well no s#!t, neither are condoms but if you don't want a rug rat it's better than raw dogging it, and more fun than abstinence. If you want more protection then upgrade to hormonal BC or get snipped.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

The ones that can’t admit many folks got things wrong in the beginning and/or the ones that said people were putting lives in danger for having alternative thoughts to the consensus but ended being correct.   

Had those posters been in charge of censorship, we would have silenced some correct perspectives while amplifying to incorrect ones.  This is the point Teach are and I are saying.  Just using Covid as an example.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ZRod said:

They're not really mistakes if we're still learning, are they. 90% of what people get up in arms about is Faici supposedly switching gears on masks. Which comes from comments made prior to us knowing COVID was already in the US if I'm not mistaken, and was also done because we would have run out of masks almost immediately.

The other big one is morons saying that the mask isn't totally effective. Well no s#!t, neither are condoms but if you don't want a rug rat it's better than raw dogging it, and more fun than abstinence. If you want more protection then upgrade to hormonal BC or get snipped.

Also, many of the comments on masks comes from a time when there was a mass shortage of masks for health care workers who were being overwhelmed at hospitals with COVID patients.  So, they were telling people to find other types of masks (homemade versions) and using them, leaving the commercially made masks for hospital workers.

But.....hey...let's crucify the people trying to figure out the best path forward.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
39 minutes ago, ZRod said:

This is awesome!  HAHA

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Also, many of the comments on masks comes from a time when there was a mass shortage of masks for health care workers who were being overwhelmed at hospitals with COVID patients.  So, they were telling people to find other types of masks (homemade versions) and using them, leaving the commercially made masks for hospital workers.

But.....hey...let's crucify the people trying to figure out the best path forward.

The homemade masks!  I forgot about those!  Then came the custom ones!

I had a badass school one.  

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Orrrrrrrrr, we could hold them to account for what they got wrong WHILE they were trying to crucify the people who were eventually proven correct:thumbs.   this is the whole censorship discussion. 

And, don’t fall into NOPES deliberate attempt to think this is just a .90% people mad about masks discussion.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

Interesting that, among those who have an axe to grind with the initial government response to Covid, their ire is directed at Fauci and not the guy occupying the White House, who directed much of that response. 

• TBH 6

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Interesting that, among those who have an axe to grind with the initial government response to Covid, their ire is directed at Fauci and not the guy occupying the White House, who directed much of that response. 

Who knows, maybe injecting bleach or rectal administration of UV light will turn out to be great options down the road. 

If they do hopefully SOME PEOPLE can admit they were just wrong on the matter!

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep. You couldn’t buy an N95 mask almost immediately after we knew what was going on. So they wanted them reserved for healthcare workers (for the greater good). They asked the rest of us to make do as best we could. I don’t recall anyone ever saying those cheap little blue masks would protect the wearer but common sense indicates it did help others (when not worn as a chin diaper).

But I do understand the point of what and when should something get censored. I’m not sure I agree with the example of Covid being evidence that valuable info would be silenced. The anti-mask anti-Fauci disinformation undoubtedly caused more problems than had much of it actually been censored.

• TBH 1

We've been laughing about the early days of Covid, when we watched YouTube videos about wiping down your groceries as soon as you brought them into the house.

But I never felt betrayed by the information and warnings provided. It always was an evolving pandemic emergency, taking place on a global scale, with countries executing a full range of precautions having nothing to do with Anthony Fauci. I thought the scientists generally chose their words carefully, based on the best available information, and were not afraid to change course as better information became available. 

I don't think I've seen the full list of what they got wrong, but they weren't wrong to take emergency measures in the early days, along with most countries. In hindsight, perhaps schools should have opened earlier. Then again, Sweden was pretty smug about keeping everything open, including schools, until they had a delayed response that landed them among the worst COVID cases per capita in the world. Masks weren't perfect, and mandates weren't the answer, but they were always sold as the best prevention we could control, and that remains true --- as it is with every virus. 

There was no doubt an attempt to downplay the possibility of accidental or intentional Covid lab leak from China, but while evidence now suggests it's a distinct possibility, there's roughly the same evidence for the Wuhan Wet Market theory. 

Once the vaccine was available, 90%+ of COVID deaths were among the unvaccinated. Much was made about vaccinated deaths, but come on.

They weren't wrong that Ivermectin and other rumored cures were not effective and should not be taken for COVID cure or prevention. For some reason the "experts" promoting dips#!t cures to show up the Fauci lovers were not held to the same standard of vetting and blaming.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
58 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Who knows, maybe injecting bleach or rectal administration of UV light will turn out to be great options down the road. 

If they do hopefully SOME PEOPLE can admit they were just wrong on the matter!

Did anyone actually suggest rectal administration of UV light to treat Covid? Or are you just making a funny?  We know an actual real life study was done on the trachea, but rectal?  

But hey, let’s just pretend everyone got everything right while we tried to mock and silence the dissenters and no need to hold anyone accountable because…..well it’s was years ago and let’s move on or something.  :facepalm:

You say you work in Healthcare.    Let me ask…..

1) was it right to treat those who didn’t want to get the Covid-19 shot the way they got treated?  Vaccine mandates for the population set that didn’t need them.  Fired, mocked on social media, not allowed to attend school considering what we knew and know?

2) was it right to keep schools closed Fall of 2020, spring of 2021, Fall if 2021 when Europe gave us school safety data in May 2020? 

3) was it right to have mask mandates when Fauci said the following pre-Covid:  “There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”  And plenty of research has been shown that the mandates didn’t work.  

4). How about keeping Business’s closed past late April/Early May when researchers had a pretty good idea about transmission and who was affected the most.  Luckily we had some Governors who went against the “Scientific consensus” and allowed their States to operate responsibly.  Remember when the open up the country crowd was mocked here in HB, the traditional news media, the Demmocrat Presidential candidate, social media platforms?   Yep, me too.  
Opening the economy earlier than EU was Probably one of the biggest reasons the US is outperforming other countries in post Covid economic rates.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1