What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Oh I did, still not gonna let it lower the bar. If we can’t beat Wisconsin this year, we should just sign up to be their b!^@h for the next decade. Mertz looked good but he shouldn’t look like fields and his field of 5 star studs. Gonna keep my expectations high. 

Fair enough. I just can't do it. Stupidly, I got my hopes up for this one. Not that we'd win but maybe show some improvements everywhere. Prob my fault since we did improve in about 3 areas but we have had sunshine blown up our butts forever about how good our DBs are. They might very well be good but we'll never know because chins has them so far off the receivers they may as well be playing in another stadium. Hate to say it but Mertz is going to have a Fields day.

*see what I did there* :lol:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just a quick PSA: We dont' play a defensive scheme where the linemen will ever get that many sacks. That's supposed to mainly fall on the linebackers.

So I'm not ready to say that "our defensive line sucks" because I saw some pretty strong Huskers going up against three offensive linemen that will most likely have NFL contracts next season. I think Tuioti is already developing Robinson but also he shows how much of a difference getting good talent makes.

Anyway...I think Mills lacks quickness & the ability to shake a guy in the backfield to get free. In a world where Ronald Thompkins didn't have prior knee issues I would definitely be predicting that he'll be a star. Currently I still feel that way except there's a big asterisk of saying *if his knees hold up. I'm pretty confident nevertheless that he's crucial to success this year.

One big thing I noticed: We executed those short swing passes really well today. Frost called them at the right times and guys actually blocked well so that the receiver could pick up a few yards. That was encouraging.

Our DLineman don't suck necessarily...but they are stiff and slow...I think you can find/recruit a happy medium. You have to have atleast one of your 3 that can get home on a 1:1, when you bring a LB(s)

..and our blitzes seemed to encompass time taking twists...get some direct heat here and there

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hate to say it but Mertz is going to have a Fields day.

As of right now, that's my prediction as well. I said this earlier in the week: We do not match up well against teams with good passing offenses.

You'd think that a redshirt freshman wouldn't be allowed to just stand back in the pocket and throw all day...but I would enter for the court as Exhibit A our tape against Purdue last year where a freshman QB did just that and made us look stupid.

And I said this during today's game: If we're not going to consistently send two LBs to the house to get the QB, just f****** play in a Nickel scheme against a passing team with this defense. Frustrating.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Fair enough. I just can't do it. Stupidly, I got my hopes up for this one. Not that we'd win but maybe show some improvements everywhere. Prob my fault since we did improve in about 3 areas but we have had sunshine blown up our butts forever about how good our DBs are. They might very well be good but we'll never know because chins has them so far off the receivers they may as well be playing in another stadium. Hate to say it but Mertz is going to have a Fields day.

Agree on space...atleast try to force a tight throw. I thought we were trying to bend and not break to start and thought we would see adjustments at specific yards...nope

• Plus1 1

I'm not pessimistic, but a few negative things really stood out to me.  

#1  As others have mentioned, there's just no juice at the skilled positions outside of Wandale.  Which brings me to my 2nd point, if you aren't a big play offense, you especially can't afford all the rhythm breaking plays that have seemed to plague this team under Frost. 

#2 Take the 3 drives NU doesn't score on in the 1st half.  Drive 2 - Offsides on 2nd & 1.  Drive 3 - Martinez has equipment failure after a 1 play 1st down and McCaffery fumbles snap on 2nd down to sink the next set of downs.  Drive 5 - Delay of game on 1st down to start 5th possession of half.  Then of course the 2 QB fumbles in the 2nd half.   Fix any of this & at worst the score is 17-14 at half.   

#3  For the love of God, please get North/South inside the 5 yard line.  In fairness to coaches, they called a bash concept or switch zone play, which is an inside zone run for the QB, & he gives to Mills, who gets strung out.  Probably a bad read on Martinez's part, but this has to be emphasized in this situation I have to believe.  

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Our DLineman don't suck necessarily...but they are stiff and slow...I think you can find/recruit a happy medium. You have to have atleast one of your 3 that can get home on a 1:1, when you bring a LB(s)

Ty Robinson was ranked by 24/7 Sports as the 12th best strongside defensive end in the 2019 class. But, he was told to gain 30 pounds and bulk up to the size of a defensive tackle.

Right or wrong, it just seems like what Chindander's philosophy is around defensive tackle. You have to also remember that it's 3 on 5 verus 4 on 5 like you'd have in a 4-3.

I'm not defending anything Chinander is wanting to do but I guess I'm just trying to explain it.

6 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

#3  For the love of God, please get North/South inside the 5 yard line.  In fairness to coaches, they called a bash concept or switch zone play, which is an inside zone run for the QB, & he gives to Mills, who gets strung out.  Probably a bad read on Martinez's part, but this has to be emphasized in this situation I have to believe.  

Yep. And same for that play where Martinez fumbled where it was either 2nd & 2 or 3rd & 2. To me that shows that Frost potentially has at least some kind of a lack of confidence in Mills. That's a down & distance situation where you want a back that's a slasher to pound through the line of scrimmage and convert the damn first down.

Just now, Undone said:

Ty Robinson was ranked by 24/7 Sports as the 12th best strongside defensive end in the 2019 class. But, he was told to gain 30 pounds and bulk up to the size of a defensive tackle.

Right or wrong, it just seems like what Chindander's philosophy is around defensive tackle. You have to also remember that it's 3 on 5 verus 4 on 5 like you'd have in a 4-3.

I'm not defending anything Chinander is wanting to do but I guess I'm just trying to explain it.

I get what he is trying to do...for me, I just dont like that style...particularly when you run time taking blitzes/stunts

1 minute ago, UniversalMartin said:

I get what he is trying to do...for me, I just dont like that style...particularly when you run time taking blitzes/stunts

Agreed. I really hated the scheme at the end of 2018, came to accept it in 2019, and now just feel like the main problems this season are on offense again.

32 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

^Dad joke on point. I think Mertz is capable of shredding us. I just refuse to lower the standard because Frost. Year 3 this is a game we should win, There should be heat on the staff if we are outplayed. 

1. We have a lot of idiotic trolls on this board, especially the one that thinks Rutgers would have beat us. 

2. I was happy with how we played and I saw improvement. It was extremely unrealistic to think we'd get close. 

3. Oline and dline played extremely well, thoroughly impressed with them.

4. We don't have the athletes in the secondary to match up with Ohio states wrs especially when fields was nfl-like accurate 

5. It was nice to see Adrian run and not play so timid.

• Plus1 1