What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

@Mavric Helmet-to-helmet contact is not, and should not be, automatically considered targeting. You can just as easily say that the ball carrier lowered their head and led with their own crown and targeted the defender's head in tons of those cases, but the zebras basically always flag the defender.

If a defender came in like that on a player who was already down and vulnerable, that should be targeting, but that's clearly not the case here.

Of course, consistency of enforcement in cases like that is a whole separate issue...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just a question for those on Chin (and for the record you guys may be right based on his long term record), but how many teams do you think will play OSU this year, and being -2 on turnovers will allow less than 45 points?  

By the way, if I were going to criticize a coordinator, I think our offensive coaches continuing to try to run plays East-West vs North-South was far more disappointing as that played against our roster strengths, into their roster strengths, and cost us a number of key 3-and-outs.  That, far more than any DB cushion, was a strategic failure of scheme and play calling and something I would call the coaches onto the carpet for.

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I'm really interested in the next 3 game i think they'll tell us how good or bad chin's defense is this year. If Nebraska's strategy against teams is to have the defensive backs so far away you are letting the receivers catch it and then hoping for a big hit to jar it loose then we'll probably see what we saw today all season a lot of completions and safeties getting ejected. 

Well, I don't think any other team will have the talent of WRs that OSU has. I feel like they were afraid to play deep and try to prevent big plays. We still got beat deep so I wish we would've gone away from it a bit.

I feel like the B1G is evolving into using more spread offensive concepts but has done so at a slower rate than the rest of college football.

Chinander has figured out how to play fairly well against the run but has struggled against the pass. This isn't an observation that's only isolated to the game today; even in 2018 we'd give up 3rd & longs all day. Frost has, on multiple occasions, quietly ranted about this in post-game interviews. We gotta make it stop.

That said, when is our offense going to be able to get into the right head space to not turn the ball over and commit penalties? That has overtaken special teams as the biggest problem in my mind for this 2020 season.

We punted the ball pretty well today and consistently kicked off to around their 2 or 3 - this is good to see.

I get that NU may have been trying not to get beat deep, but then you have to do something underneath. Their WRs were catching the balls for first down with 5 yard cushions. Ya you didn't give up a 60 yard TD but you can't stop a team when your handing them first downs either. We barely contested a throw all day. 

9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I get that NU may have been trying not to get beat deep, but then you have to do something underneath. Their WRs were catching the balls for first down with 5 yard cushions. Ya you didn't give up a 60 yard TD but you can't stop a team when your handing them first downs either. We barely contested a throw all day. 

Because we have no pass rush at all, we would have been waaaaay more effective in more of a Nickel scheme today.

Going to be honest: It'll be completely demoralizing if Mertz & Wisconsin embarrass us with a passing attack next week. I said right at the end of last year that I don't think Chinander deserves any excuses in year 3 for lack of talent - he needs to figure it out.

But holy f***, offense...don't turn the ball over and leave the defense with a short field against the Badgers.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Welcome to bo pelinis bend don't break lol

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

We learned that Martinez is who he is.

QB RTG via ESPN

2018 - 139.5 - 54th in the country
2019 - 130.8 - 77th in the country
OSU Today 2020 - 138.8 - ~38th - 42nd in country

Martinez is consistently mediocre.

Something to watch going forward:

Luke today - 172.4 - ~7th - 9th in the country

more data is needed*

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Question: I haven’t watched the game yet on account I was coaching my daughter’s soccer team—is this game worth watching to get insight on the team? 

I ask because it sounds like from the chatter it’s more an insight to how s****y B1G officiating is and how Chinander (and possibly Martinez?) are coming up short yet again...

One thing I will say is I thought our line played fairly well for the most part. There were a bunch of times that I thought we had the right play calls and they opened up holes but the overall speed of Ohio State was just amazing. Those guys close gaps quick. There were a lot of 5 yard gains today that would have been 10+ yards against most of the other teams we’ll face this year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Also it kind of feels good to get this one out of the way. That’s the best team we’ll play all year and no doubt Justin Fields is the best quarterback in the league. Clemson’s Sunshine will probably win the Heisman and be the #1 pick but Fields will be a close second. Honestly with the success mobile quarterbacks are having in the NFL I’d probably take him over Lawrence. Ohio State will always have a good quarterback but he is elite. I look forward to playing them when he’s gone (hopefully next year).

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Farms said:

Also it kind of feels good to get this one out of the way. That’s the best team we’ll play all year and no doubt Justin Fields is the best quarterback in the league. Clemson’s Sunshine will probably win the Heisman and be the #1 pick but Fields will be a close second. Honestly with the success mobile quarterbacks are having in the NFL I’d probably take him over Lawrence. Ohio State will always have a good quarterback but he is elite. I look forward to playing them when he’s gone (hopefully next year).

Fields is definitely elite.  I don't think QB is going to be an issue for OSU in the coming years.  In the last 2 cycles,  they have signed or have committed QBs Jack Miller (4* .8951),  CJ Stroud (4* .9780) and Kyle McCord (5* .9883).   

In the same cycles, we have gotten Smothers (4* .8975) and Haarberg (3* .8702).  

I feel like QB has been one of our weaknesses for sometime now and for us to take the next step forward on offense, we need to get an elite QB.    

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Fields is definitely elite.  I don't think QB is going to be an issue for OSU in the coming years.  In the last 2 cycles,  they have signed or have committed QBs Jack Miller (4* .8951),  CJ Stroud (4* .9780) and Kyle McCord (5* .9883).   

In the same cycles, we have gotten Smothers (4* .8975) and Haarberg (3* .8702).  

I feel like QB has been one of our weaknesses for sometime now and for us to take the next step forward on offense, we need to get an elite QB.    

I think we’ve got two potentially great QBs in both McCaffery and Smothers. The rating doesn’t mean as much as people think. The development of a kid in the program is what matters. Both McCaffery and Smothers had higher star ratings than Lamar Jackson, for instance. In fact, Jackson was the 12th highest rated dual-threat QB in his graduating High School class. Only 2 of those players ended up having significant playing time as QB throughout College - Kyler Murray & Sam Darnold. Joe Burrow was also part of this class and ranked ahead of Lamar, but only one season of really play time as we know.

Russell Wilson was a 2 star, Manziel was a 3 star, and plenty of other examples like that.

We’re hearing great things about McCaffery developing, and after yesterday’s game (174.2 QB RTG) we know he can handle the job well. He needs more game reps. If he didn’t fumble, his rating would have been closer to 190. That’s elite.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

My favorite thing about Chinander is when our safety is 20 yards off the ball on a 4th and 5. I'm trying to upload screenshots but this board says they are too big of files?? interesting 

I can’t upload anything. Get the same message   I tried resizing but I guess it’s above my tech skills(what isn’t?)

I don’t think we have the speed to go m2m. And then we really don’t have the WR for the DBs to practice against either. The likelihood for this to get better this season is poor. Thankful, everyone let on our schedule looks human. Maybe not Wisconsin