What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I don't have any major desire to defend Chinander. But I do think the hard part is that as a fan we don't ever know exactly why a coach chooses to do something - we just see the result of what happens on the field.

Our corners aren't especially talented. So I feel like they would have most likely given up a lot of huge plays had the coverage not been so soft. With that said though, how many times can you watch the other team's QB throw 15 yard dime after 15 yard dime before you change it up?

Agree with you on the defensive line and our run game. Erik seems to be getting the run game defense figured out. But he just doesn't like consistently dialing up creative blitzes and there are no Randy Gregory's on this team.

That said, I think this'll be another season where the games we lose that we thought we should have won will fall on the offense's shoulders.

Yep. The people who thought it was no big deal that he left were wrong.

Watching Warner let a TD pass just fly through his fingers was rough.

My disappointment was, when we seemed to blitz, it was a touch late and no where near clean path to Fields. It ended up two OL blocking three men

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

My disappointment was, when we seemed to blitz, it was a touch late and no where near clean path to Fields. It ended up two OL blocking three men

This has always been my Chins beef.......

if you’re going to get picked apart in zone because you can’t get pressure, why not just man up and bring a few guys?  What do you have to lose?

• Plus1 1

Long-time lurker, but first post....

To briefly re-hash some of what has already been said: definitelyDL improvement, OL improvement (except Farniok's whiffs which were surprising), truly AWFUL officiating were all pretty clear, as was improved S&C.

Three other takes:

1.  On offence I think the staff knew that that there was a major mismatch between our ability to pass the ball to our WR's and their ability to defend the pass. Based on that, I think they the made determination they needed to play ball control offense and not put Martinez (in particular) in a position where he had to make a lot of deeper passes as they didn't trust his accuracy and couldn't afford a bunch of INT's. Based on what I saw, I wouldn't have tried to throw it deep either. I would have continued to try to methodically pound the ball and concentrate my OL against their DL.  Unfortunately the combination of the two QB fumbles and the truly obnoxious officiating let the ball game run away from them.

2. On defense I don't think the complaints about Chin are justified.  With Fields being a top-3 NFL draft pick and their WR's being clearly faster than our DB's, the only choice is to try to keep the WR's in front of them. If he tried to play them tight, the same people complaining on the cushions would have complained about making it too easy on the deep balls.  In this case I think Chin realistically did not have the horses to play their WR the way he would have liked so tried to play conservatively and hope for some mistakes.  Sadly Fields didn't fumble, hit 95%+ on his throws, and even his two tipped balls still ended up in his receivers hands.  Bottom Line is with the discrepancy in the WR-DB talent, I would conted that Chin's game plan have them the best chance to stay competitive.  Play bump and.run or press's and I think they could have easily thrown for 400 yards on us.

3.  After re-watching all the penalty calls, it truly feels like the B1G officials were given guidelines to ensure Ohio State won.  Besides the obvious targeting calls, the missed 'knee on the turf' which would have put them into 4th down, the missed holding calls against their OL at critical junctures and even ball spotting was truly awful.  After today's display, it truly appears we're in the doghouse everywhere the corporate office has influence and that could make the season a real challenge.

All in all though, after last year, I was really proud of the kids.  I think there are some significantly positive things to build on after a huge challenge in game 1 against the best QB they'll play all year.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Welcome Canadian Fan, agree with a lot of what you said.  I would have mixed in some press coverage or better disguises.  We let Fields  have too many easy throws.

Hell, I woulda gone 15/21 for 198 yards and 3td's...and an AMAZING 99.5 yard scamper...pigeons flying as I crossed the goal line, cured cancer with my dance and then after the game taken Dorothy Mantooth out for a nice seafood dinner and NEVER CALL HER BACK!!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Undone said:

One big thing I noticed: We executed those short swing passes really well today. Frost called them at the right times and guys actually blocked well so that the receiver could pick up a few yards. That was encouraging.

Ehh, I still noticed some throws that were significantly off the mark, even if they were still caught.

18 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Long-time lurker, but first post....

Welcome! That post was a whole hell of a lot better than ones from some other new members in this thread!

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Hate to say it but Mertz is going to have a Fields day.

*see what I did there* :lol:

7r0GjJS.png

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

2. On defense I don't think the complaints about Chin are justified.

I think the people that are skeptical of Chin are taking into account his full portfolio. 33 pts/game in the B1G since he's been here. Giving up that many points a game puts so much pressure on the offense. Iowa was at 13 pts/game in conf play, and Wisconsin was at 19 pts/game in conf play last season. Long story short, we need to be better on defense if we're gonna compete in the west. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Iowa was at 13 pts/game in conf play, and Wisconsin was at 19 pts/game in conf play last season. Long story short, we need to be better on defense if we're gonna compete in the west.

Not as a push-back but rather as devil's advocate, Iowa & Wisconsin don't turn the ball over like we do or play the piss-poor special teams that we did last year.

That said, I'll maintain that Chinz has gotten his run game defense figured out but has struggled and is struggling against teams who pass well. A lot of people will kick the can down the road and point to spots where there isn't enough talent (inb4 "we don't have a pass rusher"), but it's still an accurate assessment IMO.

By the way...it feels really good to be dissecting a game that we actually played instead of wondering if there was going to be football at all.   :cheers

• Plus1 3