***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Could you name some of those folks? Because I must have missed those posts.

The betting sites were what caught my interest. 

I've seen some people say as of this morning it's now Biden -300. They must be pretty confident?

It is not on my site anymore so I don't know for sure.  Bovado probably has it listed, they list anything.

Also, maybe for pot on the ballot they should just call it the Doobage Bill!

7 minutes ago, commando said:

no...the people.   the fact that so many think trump is worthy of leading our country is disappointing.  if my daughter brought home aguy that has been accused of sexual assault, found guilty of fraud, and had 5 kids with 3 different wives (who he cheated on all of them)....i would beat the crap outta the guy and and tell my daughter to forget him?   but the american people think he is presidential.   i don't understand it.

Why would you beat up the guy, in your scenario he has done nothing wrong to your daughter.

Your daughter is the one that brought him home.  You are blaming the wrong person.  People need to learn to take responsibility for their actions.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Ulty said:

I feel absolutely sick this morning. I mean, I had understood all along that the counting would not yet be complete on Tuesday night, that Trump would prematurely declare victory, and that actual American values would be fighting against voter suppression efforts...BUT just looking at the sheer numbers at this point is heartbreaking.

In 2016, nearly 63 million people cast a vote for Trump. That in itself was unbelievable, but so far today, he has almost 67 million votes and counting. How the f#ck could that many American people look at this horrible man and the state of our country and make that choice?

The GOP is gaining seats in the house, and vile incompetent a$$holes like Matt Gaetz, Jim Jordan, and Devin Nunez sailed to easy victories.

There is still counting to be done in Senate races, but how the f#ck can the people of South Carolina keep voting for Lindsey Graham? How the f#ck can the people of Iowa keep voting for Joni Ernst? Mitch McConnell is one of the most unscrupulous and evil men in the whole country, and his victory was way too easy.

Even if Biden manages to eke out 270 electoral votes when the counting is done, and even if the Dems eke out that 50th Senate seat, it is still very discouraging that this is where we are as a country. If Trump and the GOP maintain control, we are absolutely f#cked.

How did we get to this point as a country, and how do we fight back? How can good people change the hearts and minds of the apathetic, the ignorant, and the racist?

Break up tech monopolies, for one thing. Facebook allows for targeted misinformation directly to the consumer. So does twitter, so do all of them. But if we enforce antitrust laws, and we pass a digital bill of rights similar to Europe's, we stand a good chance of overcoming their influence. 

That's just one step. But people have to want to change. As long as people want to support racists, there's not a lot you can do.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

There were quite a few folks that thought it would be a landslide for Biden.

I was skeptical...because Biden isn't progressive enough (in my opinion) and thus wasn't really giving any message other than "I'm not Trump".

Do you really think that Biden being more progressive would have helped him out? I just don't see someone who voted for Trump flipping their vote because of this. Unless you are saying that more people would have voted if Biden was more progressive. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, BlitzFirst said:

Honestly, I think that social networking (I've been off facebook for over 7 years now) is causing Tribalism which is what we're seeing in politics during this election cycle.

Glad I pulled the plug on everything except Twitter..

I think you're spot-on here. Facebook is a cancer on humanity's soul. 

I use Twitter a lot, and it's good because I curate it. If there's something I don't want to see, I turn it off. The ability to mute and block or simply not follow accounts that are toxic makes it a great platform for news.

29 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Also, I've been following politics since I was a teenager, and I swear I've never heard of the "Blue Wall." Saw it a few times already this morning, and apparently it refers to Wisconsin & Michigan? Is this a new thing?

Nope. Been there historically...but wasn’t there for Hilary because she assumed it would stay and didn’t campaign there. 

Also re: polling issues, there were rumblings that part of the reason polling was off was that a certain subset of fervent Trump fans wanted to prove the media was fake/lying, so there was a coordinated effort to say they were voting Biden to boost his numbers and f*** with the “lamestream media” and “expose fake news”. 

It was dismissed in 2016 as being too small to have impact on polling...but with leads disappearing overnight that were outside the margin of error, I think this needs to be looked at again as a possibility why numbers are off and how until the GOP isn’t controlled by a cult of personality (insert awesome song here), polling probably can’t be trusted (or at least a buffer for this BS needs to be built in). 

And some media did couch this as “shy Trump voters” in 2016 and started to reference again last night...just know that “shy Trump voters” is referring to this possible phenomenon in a nicer light than it deserves. 

7 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I feel absolutely sick this morning. I mean, I had understood all along that the counting would not yet be complete on Tuesday night, that Trump would prematurely declare victory, and that actual American values would be fighting against voter suppression efforts...BUT just looking at the sheer numbers at this point is heartbreaking.

In 2016, nearly 63 million people cast a vote for Trump. That in itself was unbelievable, but so far today, he has almost 67 million votes and counting. How the f#ck could that many American people look at this horrible man and the state of our country and make that choice?

The GOP is gaining seats in the house, and vile incompetent a$$holes like Matt Gaetz, Jim Jordan, and Devin Nunez sailed to easy victories.

There is still counting to be done in Senate races, but how the f#ck can the people of South Carolina keep voting for Lindsey Graham? How the f#ck can the people of Iowa keep voting for Joni Ernst? Mitch McConnell is one of the most unscrupulous and evil men in the whole country, and his victory was way too easy.

Even if Biden manages to eke out 270 electoral votes when the counting is done, and even if the Dems eke out that 50th Senate seat, it is still very discouraging that this is where we are as a country. If Trump and the GOP maintain control, we are absolutely f#cked.

How did we get to this point as a country, and how do we fight back? How can good people change the hearts and minds of the apathetic, the ignorant, and the racist?

If nothing else, it plainly shows that disinformation works.

Image, no matter how false it is, is important. All that orange, fake-tan face paint and confidence Trump displays....folks who don't log in to HB and the like daily don't see or maybe don't care about the reality of the candidate.  

And I think people are comfortable with the status quo too.  I think it's why incumbents generally do so well.  If Trump wasn't a dirty A-hole, he would have won by landslide.  

Above all else, enthusiasm works.  I think it's why Obama won over McCain, Clinton over Bush, Reagan over Carter, etc.  Hillary had more enthusiasm than Biden and IMO it's why she was able to come as close as she did.  She just had too many other things working against her.

Plus, being a straight, "Christian", white man doesn't hurt either.

Just my thoughts.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

If nothing else, it plainly shows that disinformation works.

Image, no matter how false it is, is important. All that orange, fake-tan face paint and confidence Trump displays....folks who don't log in to HB and the like daily don't see or maybe don't care about the reality of the candidate.  

And I think people are comfortable with the status quo too.  I think it's why incumbents generally do so well.  If Trump wasn't a dirty A-hole, he would have won by landslide.  

Above all else, enthusiasm works.  I think it's why Obama won over McCain, Clinton over Bush, Reagan over Carter, etc.  Hillary had more enthusiasm than Biden and IMO it's why she was able to come as close as she did.  She just had too many other things working against her.

Plus, being a straight, "Christian", white man doesn't hurt either.

Just my thoughts.

This is interesting because Obama, Clinton and especially Reagan are probably 3 of the best public speakers in politics, maybe ever.

Obama is smooth.

Clinton is a freaking snake but my god can he talk.  

Reagan is probably the wittiest and quickest politician ever.  

I think it goes to show how important public speaking is in these races.  This year neither of them were all that great at public speaking.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Why would you beat up the guy, in your scenario he has done nothing wrong to your daughter.

Your daughter is the one that brought him home.  You are blaming the wrong person.  People need to learn to take responsibility for their actions.

so you would beat up your daughter instead if she brought "that guy" home?