***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I know more people who chose NOT to vote for Biden because of Harris than voted FOR Biden because of Harris. I'm not a fan of Harris' either (at all, in fact) but I personally still feel more comfortable with them than I do Trump.

If whomever wins President doesn't fulfill their full term, would you be more comfortable with her or Pence?

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If whomever wins President doesn't fulfill their full term, would you be more comfortable with her or Pence?

I don't know if I have a good answer. VP's don't weight heavily into my overall voting methodology. I'm typically more interested in policy and potential (or current) cabinet members. I might give a slight lean to Pence in terms of 'comfortability,' but that's not enough of a determining factor to want to support Trump (if that makes sense).

Just had a thought that I've co opted from the Internet.

IMO the reason that Trump did better than expected in some areas is down to two things:

1. We're at the point with COVID that people are sick of hearing about it and just want to keep their normal lives going. So while Trump has completely bungled the response, we're passed the initial "freaking out" phase and the public absolutely knows that there won't be another lockdown with Trump. So they voted for him.

2. The other big story, George Floyd and the protests after, allowed Trump to play himself as a law and order President. Someone who will back the police, because they protect the normal people. While the Democrat messaging optics was Police Reform, Police Defunding, etc... One of the Eastman attack ads was basically saying Democrats will allow violent protesters out of prison for no reason other than that they're protesting.

Bottom line, though, is that there is a lot of misinformation presented as fact on the Internet.

Biden is predicted to win MI, PA, and WI at this time. He doesn't need Arizona, nor Georgia, nor Nevada to have enough electoral votes, although it would be nice if he got them so Trump needs to win more lawsuits.

That said, there are an estimated 190,000 votes left in Nevada and Biden is up by < 8,000, and 175,000 of those votes are in the counties Biden leads. 

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Biden is predicted to win MI, PA, and WI at this time. He doesn't need Arizona, nor Georgia, nor Nevada to have enough electoral votes, although it would be nice if he got them so Trump needs to win more lawsuits.

That said, there are an estimated 190,000 votes left in Nevada and Biden is up by < 8,000, and 175,000 of those votes are in the counties Biden leads. 

He needs to run up the score as much as possible to take the air out of the lawsuits that are going to be filed. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Just had a thought that I've co opted from the Internet.

IMO the reason that Trump did better than expected in some areas is down to two things:

1. We're at the point with COVID that people are sick of hearing about it and just want to keep their normal lives going. So while Trump has completely bungled the response, we're passed the initial "freaking out" phase and the public absolutely knows that there won't be another lockdown with Trump. So they voted for him.

2. The other big story, George Floyd and the protests after, allowed Trump to play himself as a law and order President. Someone who will back the police, because they protect the normal people. While the Democrat messaging optics was Police Reform, Police Defunding, etc... One of the Eastman attack ads was basically saying Democrats will allow violent protesters out of prison for no reason other than that they're protesting.

Bottom line, though, is that there is a lot of misinformation presented as fact on the Internet.

Trump has done a great job of playing to the fears of his base.  That's why he constantly goes to immigration reform, law and order, violent protests, etc.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

True, and if these last two elections have taught me anything, it is that I don't think I have a strong enough gauge of why Americans feel the way they do about certain candidates.

For example, many would argue (and perhaps fairly so) that a vote for Trump means a vote for supporting racism. Do I think 67+ million people think that? No, I do not.

Similarly, I do not think Trump has been an objectively good president. He has certainly had successes but has simultaneously fallen flat on a number of key initiatives and promises he made for his first term. He is also not a good global ambassador for this country. But, clearly, a lot of people don't think that matters much... when to me, it matters quite a bit.

Just now, Enhance said:

True, and if these last two elections have taught me anything, it is that I don't think I have a strong enough gauge of why Americans feel the way they do about certain candidates.

For example, many would argue (and perhaps fairly so) that a vote for Trump means a vote for supporting racism. Do I think 67+ million people think that? No, I do not.

Similarly, I do not think Trump has been a good president. He has had some successes while simultaneously falling flat on a number of key initiatives and promises he made for his first term. He is also not a good global ambassador for this country. But, clearly, a lot of people don't think that matters much... when to me, it matters quite a bit.

People do need to get their priorities straight.

• Plus1 2