***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

If people aren't smart enough to know who they should or shouldn't listen to, it's on them. The rest of the world hears him too

You may be comfortable giving him a complete pass for everything he's said and done, but a plurality of Americans - twice! - isn't. 

But it's cool knowing where people stand.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Ulty said:

Part of the problem here is people only thinking about themselves, and not others. 

I personally have an abundance of privilege and am unlikely to be directly threatened by Trumpism. However, I have friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues who may certainly be harmed by his policies and his rhetoric. Not to mention people of color all over the country, the LGBTQ community, immigrants. So many people who I do not even know are threatened by Trump's ideology. I care what happens to them. 

This election isn't just about me. It isn't just about you. It's about all of us. Trump hurts this country and he hurts my community because he relishes in cruelty toward people in this country. Yes, it matters who is president.

This is why the WWII generation was considered the "greatest generation"--because many young men pulled a Captain America and volunteered to serve because they knew what was happening in Germany could very easily spill over to the United States and hurt people they love. 

Then the kids of that generation grew fat on the accomplishments of their elders and took them for granted. When they didn't do due diligence to keep America from regressing, they blamed minorities and other demographics for their generation's unmitigated greed and opulence. 

America has to get back to 1940s principles of governance in order for the country to build the infrastructure to become "great" again. We see countries in Europe kicking our a$$ repeatedly in innovation and engineering because their citizenry don't have to worry about health care, work two jobs to make ends meet, or pay through the nose for college--they expend that energy on creation, innovation, and production. 

The Baby Boom generation, generally speaking, has been a toxin introduced into this country that needs to be drawn out.

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If people aren't smart enough to know who they should or shouldn't listen to, it's on them. The rest of the world hears him too

Indeed. It's why the world was quite okay with putting our country in a proverbial time out over COVID--less involvement with America, the better. 

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Part of the problem here is people only thinking about themselves, and not others. 

Yep. I uh... don't want to sound like a self righteous dbag, but my vote is usually for the latter. E.g. most of the GOP's economic policies are good for me. I'm not a minority so I don't have to worry much about prejudice. I'm a woman but I don't think I will ever have to worry about whether I can support a baby. For the most part who's president won't personally affect me but there are a lot of people that's not true for, and some that I know. And I feel there will be repercussions to having had Trump as our president internationally that will last decades. And probably the most important of all that a lot of people ignore because it is something that changes slowly over time, the environmental policies will also have a big impact and would be a lot bigger if Trump got 4 more years. Then there is the attempted dismantling of so many departments. We can't really know the effects of that yet.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You may be comfortable giving him a complete pass for everything he's said and done, but a plurality of Americans - twice! - isn't. 

But it's cool knowing where people stand.

Everything? Why do you always do that?

I just know he's an idiot. I'm not giving him a pass on anything he says, I'm just holding individuals accountable. That's a pretty important thing to do.

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

So do you think Trump firing the entire NSC Pandemic response team and throwing out their documented response on how to handle a pandemic with lessons learned from the Swine Flu made his lack of response to this pandemic 'not his fault'?

I want to be the CEO of your company if so...because that sounds like a dream job to have.  No consequences and never your fault no matter what!

Like I've said, I just think it's been handled poorly by a lot of individuals, which is a bigger deal than what the President says, imo.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Everything? Why do you always do that?

I just know he's an idiot. I'm not giving him a pass on anything he says, I'm just holding individuals accountable. That's a pretty important thing to do.

Because of your history of posting about the guy. 

And when his response has been literally the worst in the world, resulting in more deaths and infections and uncontrolled spread than any other country, you're letting him off and blaming others. 

It's a pattern.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Do you think any of those people would have taken greater responsibility if Trump would have asked them to?  I mean actually made a plea and described that it isn't about "personal freedom" but "community responsibility".

I know we can't know the answer to this, but I don't think it's going out on a limb to say Trump's effort at promoting mitigation methods was feeble at best.

I wonder if "the other side" that hates trump, would have been like "Masks, you can't tell me to wear a mask"

Face, crazy right and crazy left have one thing in common, they are crazy.

I have a hard time thinking that Trump haters would listen to him about masks.  Now, I just mean the crazies, not the regular people that don't like him.  

I do think the crazies on the right would have totally worn masks if Trump said to wear them, I just think the non-maskers would be the other nuts.  

• Plus1 1

Just now, knapplc said:

And when his response has been literally the worst in the world, resulting in more deaths and infections and uncontrolled spread than any other country, you're letting him off and blaming others. 

It's a pattern.

It really is amazing to think that if the response was different (better) or if Covid never made it out of China, that Trump probably wins in a landslide last night.  Would he have lost any 50/50 state?  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It's a pattern.

American citizen response has probably been the worst in world too.... No?

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if "the other side" that hates trump, would have been like "Masks, you can't tell me to wear a mask"

Face, crazy right and crazy left have one thing in common, they are crazy.

I have a hard time thinking that Trump haters would listen to him about masks.  Now, I just mean the crazies, not the regular people that don't like him.  

I do think the crazies on the right would have totally worn masks if Trump said to wear them, I just think the non-maskers would be the other nuts.  

trump haters would do what they did anyway - ignore trump and listen to the experts. Fauci has been telling people to wear masks since April 1st. 

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

F7aAT4g.gif

Can't see this gif without getting a little choked up. Poor Ten. Poor Donna.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

It really is amazing to think that if the response was different (better) or if Covid never made it out of China, that Trump probably wins in a landslide last night.  Would he have lost any 50/50 state?  

Biden led trump in every poll throughout this whole thing, before Biden had even won the nomination.

Covid won't cost trump the election. trump will cost trump the election. People are sick of him, and voted accordingly.

• Plus1 2