***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you study the Red State/Blue State metrics, the uneducated enjoy a lot of government benefits from mostly Democratic policies, but the Republicans do a real good job of getting them to feel sorry for billionaires and hate the government from whose teat they're suckling. That's the beauty of manipulating the uneducated.

We consistently get spanked in messaging and it is incredibly frustrating. 

Biden made serious critiques of Trump/GOP policy that is incredibly unpopular with the public (undoing healthcare law, tax cuts for the wealthy, anti-environmentalism) and we LOST seats. 

There's systemic reasons for why Republicans have an easier time gaining Congressional power, especially in the Senate, but it's clear much of the country buys what their shtick, too. Even if what they actually do with their power is largely unpopular.

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

It's not wokeness insomuch that the typical Republican voter is skewing more towards uneducated, low to lower middle class, and because the middle class and the educated have been in the crosshairs of the vermin infesting the GOP currently, things like upward mobility, affordable access to quality post-secondary education, and a societal premium on expertise and knowledge have been shoved to the side.

I disagree.

A large part of the vote was anti-Trump. But Democratic candidates (Eastman in NE2 for example or Collins in Maine) underperformed. The public rejected the Democratic party at every turn possible, other than Trump.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The public rejected the Democratic party at every turn possible, other than Trump.

I don't think this is accurate, however it's disappointing how badly they did given how s#!t Trump is and how loyal the GOP has been to him.

After everything is counted I'm guessing Democrats will have won more votes in state Houses, the House of Representatives,  and the Senate. Haven't really looked at it yet though.

A few thoughts (I punched this up last night before the great Huskerboard Breakening of 2020 but couldn't actually post it):

I'm so damn proud of Michigan going blue. I spent hours of my own time doing outreach here to defend my adopted home state's turf and we did it. And kept a Senate seat and swung our state Supreme Court blue. It's such a stark contrast up here from Nebraska at the state level.

Also, I'm gonna be proud of Philly for putting PA on their back and flipping PA back to blue as well. GO BIRDS! 

Sucks that the Senate didn't flip. Dems really didn't overperform anywhere. Mark Kelly won a seat in a state that's purpling, I guess? We got shut out of every other purple or red state race. America really loves them some GOP senators, I guess? Hooray, Mitch McConnell can go back to his job of... doing absolutely nothing that helps anyone. Yay. I guess people really do like divided government?

Biden ran a great race. Despite having all the s#!t flung at him by the largest and most aggressive, dishonest propaganda machine in modern history, led by the liar-in-chief, he weathered the storm and manage to rebuild the Blue Wall and potentially flip a few places. Say what you want about his politics, but he did what he said he'd do: Win back the Rust Belt and beat Trump.

Polling is broken. I'm sure many post-mortems will be done on why they screwed the pooch so badly in so many "swing states."

On that note, a lot of swing states don't really feel so swing so much as just plain red anymore. Ohio and Iowa come to mind. And we can officially saw off Florida and cast it off into the sea. 

Dems need to re-calibrate their message for 2022. Mitch McConnell is gonna do his damnedest to not let Biden do anything popular much less anything good. Biden is gonna have to try to be bipartisan but he's also gonna have to make it very clear McConnell is the reason stuff doesn't get done and throw him under the bus. Otherwise is it nuts to think the GOP would be favored in four years?

As much as I despise him, I clearly underestimated Trump's support. He rally did spur massive turnout among his base. But that cuts both ways and Biden benefited. I do find the psychology of being a Trump supporter fascinating. Some folks voted for him for pretty mundane reasons like supporting their policies. And others for really unsavory reasons. But there's a gigantic swath of people somewhere in between. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, krill said:

Careful what you wish for. My top post-election fear is that Trump, feeling betrayed by Fox, and banned on mainstream social media, will launch his own TV channel and social media platform that gathers everything horrible to the Eye of Sauron to marshal a level of depravity that we cannot yet imagine.

I'm actually curious if Twitter will actually ban Trump.  Once out of office  whenever it happens, Trump is just another influencer.  The scum who runs it won't like all that traffic moving to another platform.  

Also no R politician will come out against Trump if he wants to place higher than 5th the next primary. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you study the Red State/Blue State metrics, the uneducated enjoy a lot of government benefits from mostly Democratic policies, but the Republicans do a real good job of getting them to feel sorry for billionaires and hate the government from whose teat they're suckling. That's the beauty of manipulating the uneducated.

Thank God for those mostly Democratic policies......

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That's a bit of an oversimplification, especially in rural America. You're not wrong, but  supposedly feeling sorry for billionaires is waaaay down the list of what most rural, red leaning Americans care about.

• Plus1 3
36 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Biden lead in AZ down to 56K

Lot's of early votes held back to the end. 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/04/latest-batch-trump-gets-share-votes-he-would-need-reclaim-arizona-next-rounds-present-challenges/6169183002/

But the real fun is how they don't actually know how many outstanding ballots remain, those numbers are all estimates, just like the SOS is guessing "by this weekend"