***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

13 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You're not wrong, for sure. 

I certainly don't feel sorry for the rich, but I've long disliked the idea of taxing them at a higher rate than anybody else.... The idea of punishing them for being financially successful doesn't sit well with me (I am aware that a lot of them don't pay anywhere near their fair share with tax loopholes).

I see cognitive dissonance when I compare the things you give f#&%s for and the things you think people should stop whining about. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I certainly don't feel sorry for the rich, but I've long disliked the idea of taxing them at a higher rate than anybody else.... The idea of punishing them for being financially successful doesn't sit well with me (I am aware that a lot of them don't pay anywhere near their fair share with tax loopholes).

Even as a life long Republican (till about 6 years ago) I had no problem with wealthier people paying a higher percentage of their income in taxes.  What I have always thought though there should be a limit.  Maybe a law that says nobody should be able to be taxed over XX%.  Make that 40 or 50%.  Then, get rid of a lot of loop holes that allows them to not pay very much.

I don't have a problem with someone making $50,000 per year paying maybe 15% while someone making $500,000 paying 30%.  Understanding that it's not 30% on ALL of their income.

What I have a problem with is someone being taxed at a level of say 70% or 90% like has happened a few times in our history.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Even as a life long Republican (till about 6 years ago) I had no problem with wealthier people paying a higher percentage of their income in taxes.  What I have always thought though there should be a limit.  Maybe a law that says nobody should be able to be taxed over XX%.  Make that 40 or 50%.  Then, get rid of a lot of loop holes that allows them to not pay very much.

I don't have a problem with someone making $50,000 per year paying maybe 15% while someone making $500,000 paying 30%.  Understanding that it's not 30% on ALL of their income.

What I have a problem with is someone being taxed at a level of say 70% or 90% like has happened a few times in our history.

If a s#!t ton of things that unfairly advantage the wealthy (I'm thinking things they can do politically to increase their wealth) were fixed I could potentially see agreeing with this.

24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I see cognitive dissonance when I compare the things you give f#&%s for and the things you think people should stop whining about. 

Cognitive dissonance? Lol.... I'm pretty consistent. Most of my beliefs come back to personal responsibility/accountability.

I didn't ask people to care about the rich, I just stated where I stood on it. I wouldn't lose sleep over it if they were taxed at a higher rate, it just doesn't make sense to me, and it's "bad for business".... Discouraging rich people to come/stay/keep their money away is always a bad idea? 

Out of curiosity, what have I suggested people quit whining about?

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

No one is punishing anyone for being financially successful. 10 million dollars spends a lot differently than 10,000. And at a certain point accruing excess wealth is more harmful to the country/economy/humanity than it is beneficial to the earner. We need roads, bridges, electricity, education, defense, etc.

The country has been economically very successful when the highest earnrs were taxed at the highest rates.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Taking 50% of anybody's money is ridiculous, in my opinion.... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

No one is punishing anyone for being financially successful. 10 million dollars spends a lot differently than 10,000. And at a certain point accruing excess wealth is more harmful to the country/economy/humanity than it is beneficial to the earner. We need roads, bridges, electricity, education, defense, etc.

The country has been economically very successful when the highest earnrs were taxed at the highest rates.

If you make $30,000 you pay $6,000 in taxes.... If you make $30,000,000 you pay $6,000,000..... Doesn't get anymore fair than that.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ZRod said:

I am poor but I can't get behind this.  

I could live with no income tax for people making say...under 30,000 a year...and then everyone else pays a flat tax rate.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, teachercd said:

I am poor but I can't get behind this.  

I could live with no income tax for people making say...under 30,000 a year...and then everyone else pays a flat tax rate.  

You probably wouldn't live very well with that and neither would the most of the rest of us.

• Plus1 1

Here's the thing. The GOP ate s#!t for four years with trump to get what they wanted - the ability to cement their base of power, both in the judiciary and in state legislatures. Their ground game was entirely focused on down-ballot races, and did very little to help trump.

Once he got them what they wanted, they had no use for him. He's a train wreck, and if he won reelection he'd get impeached at least once more, if not twice. And they would have to defend the legacy of letting him off the hook again and again. They have no interest in that because they already have so much stain-cleansing to do from the last four years.

Once he stopped being useful, they jettisoned him. It's always been the plan.

What will be interesting is to see what trump does next. Because he's not going away, and while Twitter has signaled they won't give him special privileges anymore, that won't stop him from taking over something like OAN and continuing to belch forth his brand of rhetoric. That brand is popular with a LOT of people.

I think we're about to see a war for the soul of the Republican party. And it's a war the GOP leadership has brought on themselves.

• Plus1 2

Since Trump is dumb and bad at math and also desperate, he's going to cry at anyone calling the race now if they do it the moment Biden jumps ahead. He'll ask why they didn't do that for him on Tuesday, ignoring that the county map in those states makes it impossible for him to catch back up.