Biden's America

28 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I went to college from 1994-1999 which is in that 15-30 years ago timeframe.   I’m well aware of how things were.   Good thing you believe I won’t remember what it was like “back in the day”:blink:

Awesome, I'd love to hear about all the amazing scholarships you got to pay for your schooling because, as one poster said. 

"If someone is paying full freight, that’s on them for not trying too hard…."

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Awesome, I'd love to hear about all the amazing scholarships you got to pay for your schooling because, as one poster said. 

No problem….got a athletic scholarship for football, and the Eagle award for grades.  

That “one poster” must be a pretty smart. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Is this the correct cost per credit hour?  If so, was someone's daughter taking 130 credits per year?  The math isn't coming out right.

It's straight from their website and what my kids were paying before they graduated.  I figured 130 credits to get a degree.  So, all tuition for the degree is $33,670.

47 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

1). We don’t have bootstraps

2). They paid half car payment and all gas while in HS and daughter paid all car payment and all gas in college.  Son bought a 2021 Challenger himself in college with own money he earned and pays all the gas and insurance.  
3) they are on the phone plan till out of college.  Why that matters I’m not sure.  
4). Paid my mortgage and grocery bills yes.   Is that really different than other parents with kids under 18?  
5).  No I never used connections for them to get any job they have had. 
6). Daughter just moved to NYC and no she didn’t get help with first months rent or the deposit.   it’s amazing how that works.   
7). If she needed help with medical bills of course I would help.  What parent wouldn’t if they had the means.   Silly question.  

1). We don’t have bootstraps - Damn, did you pull yourself up by your sock strings then? 

2). They paid half car payment and all gas while in HS and daughter paid all car payment and all gas in college.  Son bought a 2021 Challenger himself in college (as a freshman? What did he drive until then)  with own money he earned and pays all the gas and insurance.  - Your son didn't by a challenger himself without a minimum of you co-signing the loan/ lease. - You did provide car insurance apparently to your daughter and son until he bought his car?  
3) they are on the phone plan till out of college.  Why that matters I’m not sure.  (Because there are tons of families that can't/ don't provide this for their college age kids.) 
4). Paid my mortgage and grocery bills yes.   Is that really different than other parents with kids under 18?  (Speaking of while in college. Considering this whole post is about college costs, I'm not sure why you mention kids under 18?)
5).  No I never used connections for them to get any job they have had. (Cool, other kids/ families do.)
6). Daughter just moved to NYC and no she didn’t get help with first months rent or the deposit.   it’s amazing how that works.  (Awesome. I never had help either.)
7). If she needed help with medical bills of course I would help.  What parent wouldn’t if they had the means.   Silly question.  - (Not everyone has the means THATS THE POINT!)

So car insurance - I'm betting you didn't just have liability on the vehicles. So, that's what $120/ month for a college age kid. Cell phone- that's a cool $75 per month benefit minimum, if you get the s#!tty free phone. - Thanks to Obamacare, your kids were on your health insurance plan so that's another $500/ month benefit. Right there, you saved your kids, assuming they attended school for 4 years $695 per month. Which, over 4 years comes out to $33,360. Boy, if you 'DIDNT HAVE THE MEANS,"  your kids would be sitting with about the same amount of debt as the national average plus whatever you say the currently owe. And that's if you're being honest about the aid you provided and not uhm, "stretching the truth" in order to make a point in a political discussion. - You're kids are lucky to have you. Not every kid is that lucky. 

13 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

There are need based scholarships that will help if you are a kid going to school with no support from parents.  My kids have talked about most of their friends got some help from that.

On 9/1/2022 at 7:44 AM, Archy1221 said:

So everyone has already agreed with you that college is too expensive (which has nothing to do with forgiving student debt) 

They are entirely linked. The debt was taken out because of the inflated cost of college.

21 hours ago, junior4949 said:

This student loan forgiveness program is a swift kick to the groin to anyone that found other means to pay for college instead of loans and to those who worked really hard after graduation to get those loans paid off.  

This is a really selfish way to view the world. Someone else getting a good deal does not mean those that didn't get it were shafted. If that were true, then there would be no reason to improve anything since there's always someone who wouldn't get that improvement. We can choose to make life better for society even if we aren't the direct beneficiaries.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fun fact: I just learned this week that the phrase "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" originally had the opposite connotation: it is physically impossible to lift yourself up by pulling on your boots, and the phrase is meant to mock the idea it's that simple. 

This has always amused me.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's straight from their website and what my kids were paying before they graduated.  I figured 130 credits to get a degree.  So, all tuition for the degree is $33,670.

Add in room, board, books, computer. The per credit hour cost is a bulls#!t way to discuss cost of college and anyone who has any experience with college knows so . 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are need based scholarships that will help if you are a kid going to school with no support from parents.  My kids have talked about most of their friends got some help from that.

Now.

51 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Is the bolded actually true?  Someone earlier in this thread stated it would roughly cost $33,000.00 to attend and graduate from UNL.  I started UNL roughly three decades ago.  One of my college roommate's dad bought him a brand new Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab fully loaded pickup in 94'.  It cost roughly $6,000.00 more than what it cost me to attend and graduate UNL.  Dinsdale Chevrolet in Grand Island has a comparable pickup listed for sale at roughly $50,000.00.  It doesn't really seem to me that college costs are vastly greater than they've been for previous generations.   

Sure you're comparing two of the most inflated expenses in the nation to each other and saying, yup no change. - Earnings relative to those expenses has not inflated at the same rate. Giving you the benefit of the doubt here, that you're not being disingenuous with this comment. 

Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

Add in room, board, books, computer. The per credit hour cost is a bulls#!t way to discuss cost of college and anyone who has any experience with college knows so . 

Never pretended that my calculation was the entire cost.  I was responding to a post that claimed it took $1500 for a 3 hour class.  I responded with UNL being $259 per credit hour.  No way did my three kids cost was $500 per credit hour.

And, as pointed out, they are going to have living expenses no matter what they are doing.  All three of my kids got out of undergrad with no debt.  A few years ago, I went through the calculation and no way would they have what some kids claim they have in debt even without our help.  If need be, you don't have to graduate in 4 years.  I took 5 1/2 years because I was working full time while I was going.  At the time, my parents couldn't hardly help at all.  So, almost all of it was on me.

What I'm hearing from this discussion is that some people don't understand how anyone can go to college without a huge amount of debt or the parents paying for almost everything.  That's just not the case.  

Now, we ALL can agree that college costs too much.  It's insane what costs have done compared to inflation.  But, debt forgiveness does absolutely nothing to fix that.  That's really my biggest problem with this action.  It does nothing to fix the main problem.  

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

Is the bolded actually true?  

Yes. For some of us older folk, the increase is more glaring, but the cost of college has accelerated past adjusted buying power for many years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prestoncooper2/2020/08/31/a-new-study-investigates-why-college-tuition-is-so-expensive/?sh=62af8f0e17a0

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why would I need to co-sign?  

Oh now you're going to pretend that an 18 year old had established strong enough credit to buy a 2021 Charger ($30,000 purchase still today) all by himself with no co-signer. Either you co-signed or he bought it with cash, cash he got from where? You didn't help him, he bought it himself. 

image.jpeg.949d45cfdd3c16a0b2fcecff48126dac.jpeg

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Never pretended that my calculation was the entire cost.  I was responding to a post that claimed it took $1500 for a 3 hour class.  I responded with UNL being $259 per credit hour.  No way did my three kids cost was $500 per credit hour.

And, as pointed out, they are going to have living expenses no matter what they are doing.  All three of my kids got out of undergrad with no debt.  A few years ago, I went through the calculation and no way would they have what some kids claim they have in debt even without our help.  If need be, you don't have to graduate in 4 years.  I took 5 1/2 years because I was working full time while I was going.  At the time, my parents couldn't hardly help at all.  So, almost all of it was on me.

What I'm hearing from this discussion is that some people don't understand how anyone can go to college without a huge amount of debt or the parents paying for almost everything.  That's just not the case.  

Now, we ALL can agree that college costs too much.  It's insane what costs have done compared to inflation.  But, debt forgiveness does absolutely nothing to fix that.  That's really my biggest problem with this action.  It does nothing to fix the main problem.  

You're stretching a bit. It's not a polarized as you're painting. Certainly, there are things people can do to limit the amount of debt they take on through college. However, you have to know how college works and have support to do so. - Navigating the world of scholarships, financial aid, and even the enrollment process is a confounding nightmare. First time college goers can cost themselves thousands of dollars just by not knowing where to look, how to access information, and the loopholes you can use to mitigate the debt. - Debt compounds- the cost of student loans is not just the cost itself, but also the interest, the borrowing fees, late fees and more if you fall short. A $100 savings in cash can be valued at many times that if it was converted to debt.- Your help, didn't just save your kids the $40,000ish it might have cost to get the degree, but also the $20,000ish in interest, and potentially hundreds of thousands over their lives by protecting their credit score, enabling them to buy a house earlier, being able to invest rather than pay off debt, etc. 

What many don't realize is that college debt taken out at a young age, isn't just college debt, it impacts their lifetime ability, to save, invest, and limit expenses through lower interest rates. 

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yes. For some of us older folk, the increase is more glaring, but the cost of college has accelerated past adjusted buying power for many years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prestoncooper2/2020/08/31/a-new-study-investigates-why-college-tuition-is-so-expensive/?sh=62af8f0e17a0

Just for s#!ts and giggles, I looked up the current cost of the college I went to. It's now 60k for one year (sticker price). This website https://www.tuitiontracker.org/ doesn't go back far enough, but 3 years after I graduated it was only 42k. 

Just now, GSG said:

Just for s#!ts and giggles, I looked up the current cost of the college I went to. It's now 60k for one year (sticker price). This website https://www.tuitiontracker.org/ doesn't go back far enough, but 3 years after I graduated it was only 42k. 

From the Chadron State College website. 

"During the 2019-20 academic year, 264 CSC graduates averaged $20,137 in debt. Thanks to affordable tuition and generous financial aid opportunities, CSC graduates can leave campus with much less debt than the Nebraska and national averages."

Compared to Nebraska Schools, 2021-22 Academic Year

Undergraduate Cost of Attendance Resident Non-Resident
Chadron State College $15,568.80 $15,598.80
College of St. Mary
(meals not included)
$29,800.00 $29,800.00
Concordia University $45,800.00 $45,800.00
Creighton University $56,224.00 $56,224.00
Doane University $48,380.00 $48,380.00
Hastings College $44,400.00 $44,400.00
Midland University $46,320.00 $46,320.00
Nebraska Wesleyan $49,404.00 $49,404.00
Peru State College $16,075.50 $16,075.50
University of Nebraska-Kearney $18,567.50 $18,567.50
University of Nebraska-Omaha $29,711.24 $44,801.24
University of Nebraska-Lincoln $22,012.00 $39,142.00
Wayne State College $16,258.00 $16,288.00
York College $28,500.00 $28,500.00

Costs based on tuition, fees, housing, and meal plan information from school websites. Exact costs may vary and are subject to change.