Biden's America

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s two different issues.

Many/most people would agree that we need to simplify the tax code. But how easy are those kind of changes going to be within our currently dysfunctional congress? Those morons couldn’t even agree to take care of our veterans. With the rich funding politicians election campaigns and the politicians only concerned with keeping those people happy and the dollars flowing into their coffers, it’s not a very likely thing to happen any time soon.

But currently we have a tax code and laws that are not able to be enforced due to underfunding of the IRS. It doesn’t matter if all these new agents focus on the rich tax cheats as stated or if they also venture into the middle class BECAUSE IT’S ONLY A CONCERN FOR THE TAX CHEATERS. Explain to me why we should allow anyone who isn’t paying in what they are supposed to, to continue to get away with it. How is that fair and equitable?

Needing to revamp the tax code is no reason to prevent the IRS from being able to do their job.

I get what you are saying and agree on the disfunction.   It would be nice though to fix the central issue of the disease vs just trying to fix a few symptoms of the disease.   

I would make a wager though, that more than just rich people and companies will be subject to the IRS like the Biden administration is claiming 

• Plus1 1

On 8/13/2022 at 12:43 PM, JJ Husker said:

Why are all the Rs flipping out over the IRS finally being given the resources to do their job?  87,000 new agents does sound a bit excessive but you only need to worry about them “coming for you” if you’ve been cheating on your taxes. I’d rather not go through an audit but I’m not worried about the result of one in the least. Guessing that is not the case for almost each and every R politician. Good place to start imo.

That 87,000 isn't all agents. A lot of them are support staff that have been woefully understaffed the past many years. They are just getting back to the manpower they need to do their job.

Also, that 87,000 people are spread out over 10 years, and many of those are just replacements for people who will retire in that span.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I get what you are saying and agree on the disfunction.   It would be nice though to fix the central issue of the disease vs just trying to fix a few symptoms of the disease.   

I would make a wager though, that more than just rich people and companies will be subject to the IRS like the Biden administration is claiming 

My point is, so what if they are?

Sure an audit is highly inconvenient but people who aren’t willfully cheating on their taxes have virtually nothing to fear. Honest mistakes are minor and only subject to paying what was owed plus possibly interest. I mean it’s either that or let the people willfully screwing the system for serious money to continue to get away with it.

I agree that simplifying the tax code and eliminating loopholes would be extremely nice and would also make the IRS’s job easier. Unfortunately we appear to not be in any position to see that happen anytime soon.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Sure an audit is highly inconvenient but people who aren’t willfully cheating on their taxes have virtually nothing to fear.

Except the time and cost of going through the audit along with the headache and fear of thinking you did something massively wrong during the audit process.   

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That 87,000 isn't all agents. A lot of them are support staff that have been woefully understaffed the past many years. They are just getting back to the manpower they need to do their job.

Also, that 87,000 people are spread out over 10 years, and many of those are just replacements for people who will retire in that span.

It doesn’t seem as outlandish in that context. More like 8,700 people per year for 10 years, and even fewer if you take in to account how far behind the eight ball they were.

This could also benefit many taxpayers through quicker response time. I filed an amended return for 2016 (in my favor) and it took them almost 4 years to refund me. A check showed up and I had to call my Accountant to figure out what it was for as I had forgot about it. She just laughed and said “We knew they were behind but not that far behind”.

Edit to add- And they did pay me interest on the amount they owed me. At a much higher interest rate than I could’ve gotten from any bank or interest bearing account. So I really have no complaints but it is money they wouldn’t have had to spend if they were able to respond quicker.

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Except the time and cost of going through the audit along with the headache and fear of thinking you did something massively wrong during the audit process.   

Yeah, like I said inconvenient. I’ll trade that possibility to help assure that everyone is filing and paying what they are supposed to, just like I already do.

I find it interesting that primarily one political party doesn’t seem to be interested in people complying with the law.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

find it interesting that primarily one political party doesn’t seem to be interested in people complying with the law.

Complying with the law?  Sorry but I don’t see the “we don’t want to comply with thr IRS as a platform policy of the GOP

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Complying with the law?  Sorry but I don’t see the “we don’t want to comply with thr IRS as a platform policy of the GOP

Sure, they just don’t want to fund the IRS so that they can do their job properly. :facepalm:  And who exactly is it again that is being alarmist about the IRS coming after the middle class taxpayers? Oh yeah, it’s the GOP that has spouted this message from every orifice ever since that bill passed.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Sure, they just don’t want to fund the IRS so that they can do their job properly. :facepalm:  And who exactly is it again that is being alarmist about the IRS coming after the middle class taxpayers? Oh yeah, it’s the GOP that has spouted this message from every orifice ever since that bill passed.

Not Complying with the law and being alarmist is two totally different things.  I agree the GOP is going a bit over the top on it’s hyperbole.   Though would you expect anything different in politics.   I mean Democrats will falsely tell every senior citizen that will listen, that R’s will take away their SS and throw granny over the cliff.   They even make ads about it.   It’s a cute little game each side plays.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

That’s the thing that republicans are doing a great job of misinformation about. 

They are painting this as some huge army of 87,000 people breaking down doors and terrorizing people. 

But, right now, it’s even hard sometimes just to get a simple answer from the IRS on your taxes because there isn’t enough people answering the phones. 

It’s a simple strategy. Don’t fund it, make it dysfunctional, demonize the department and get more people against it.

Then, talk about how the whole system needs changed so, don’t fund it……but, then never change it. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

:facepalm:  And who exactly is it again that is being alarmist about the IRS coming after the middle class taxpayers? Oh yeah, it’s the GOP that has spouted this message from every orifice ever since that bill passed.

To be clear, there are a lot more folks than just loud GOP members that are against this.

If the influx of people and resources actually leads to holding the financially elite accountable, then cool, I support it.

....but we obviously know, or at least have decades worth of evidence and historical precendent to tell us, that that aint gonna happen.

So yeah, I don't hold it against anyone for being pissed about this if they believe that this is empowering an agency to only and exclusively punish the middle class.

Nobody likes taxes, just like nobody likes having the hygienist scrub your teeth at the dentist. Adults understand that both are a necessary thing.

All the republicans are doing is demonizing the basic maintenance  of the government. Destroy the structural integrity of the government and the whole thing collapses from within.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

Nobody likes taxes, just like nobody likes having the hygienist scrub your teeth at the dentist. Adults understand that both are a necessary thing.

All the republicans are doing is demonizing the basic maintenance  of the government. Destroy the structural integrity of the government and the whole thing collapses from within.

A world with no taxes would be scary:

-No military to protect our nation

-young mothers and infants begging and homeless in street

-streets that are disintegrating and filled with refuse

-millions of kids running the streets during the day with no education or structure

-No police or fire depts.

-very expensive interstate commerce (good bye coffee and chocolate, only for super rich)

but at least we won’t have those pesky IRS agents!

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 8/14/2022 at 3:29 PM, JJ Husker said:

Sure an audit is highly inconvenient but people who aren’t willfully cheating on their taxes have virtually nothing to fear. Honest mistakes are minor and only subject to paying what was owed plus possibly interest. I mean it’s either that or let the people willfully screwing the system for serious money to continue to get away with it.

I agree that simplifying the tax code and eliminating loopholes would be extremely nice and would also make the IRS’s job easier. Unfortunately we appear to not be in any position to see that happen anytime soon.

Audits can and are more than just “highly inconvenient” at times.  

• Plus1 1