Biden's America

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't see a backlash against Dems.  I see moderate people that are currently voting Dem because the Repubs have hitched a ride on the wacko train, hoping the Dems can be a party they can at least somewhat support.

That's not a backlash.  It's simply stating what you hope you have the chance to vote for in the future.

I would describe @funhusker's last several post as a backlash. He's basically saying the Dems are taking a victory lap and/or taking future victories for granted, but I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing articles that talk about Dems overperforming lately, not Dems themselves excessively back-patting. 

23 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

There are people here who are more than obviously 'on the fence' democrats.  It's that simple.  They still don't like certain policies/laws being proposed etc etc or they don't like Biden, he's too old  etc, etc.

Like I said before in the end it doesn't matter.  The American public are fed up with today's Republican policies/laws and it is not only showing right now at the polls but I don't see that momentum stopping anytime in the foreseeable future.

The big question is when does this current MAGA Republican platform shift away from all things Trump/MAGA because as of now if that makes anyone feel better that isn't anywhere on the horizon.

Having said the above to BRB, I agree with @funhusker (and BRB) that these wins aren't necessarily endorsements for Dem candidates, but votes against Republicans. That's me right now. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Having said the above to BRB, I agree with @funhusker (and BRB) that these wins aren't necessarily endorsements for Dem candidates, but votes against Republicans. That's me right now. 

To say by 'how much' each Democratic vote was/is actually for the 'candidate' or simply just anti MAGA isn't even a question I'm worried about answering. 

Furthermore I'm pretty confident about the party's future.

11 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Donald Trump won this county by 16 points in 2016 and by 11 points in 2020. Colorado Springs has not had a non-Republican mayor since 1997.

@knapplc

This is the post I originally responded to.  Sure seems like a "victory lap" and strong confidence in future elections.

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

@knapplc

This is the post I originally responded to.  Sure seems like a "victory lap" and strong confidence in future elections.

Yeah, I saw that. I don't see any lies in that guy's tweet.

At the same time, you're right that a chunk of those votes are anti-Republican and not pro-Dem. That's me, too. 

Still, these Dem wins are good for the country and I'm chuffed. Any Republican loss is a rebuke of the state of that party, and I'm down with it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, I saw that. I don't see any lies in that guy's tweet.

At the same time, you're right that a chunk of those votes are anti-Republican and not pro-Dem. That's me, too. 

Still, these Dem wins are good for the country and I'm chuffed. Any Republican loss is a rebuke of the state of that party, and I'm down with it.

I'm with you.  I love seeing the current GOP learn lessons the hard way!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I would describe @funhusker's last several post as a backlash. He's basically saying the Dems are taking a victory lap and/or taking future victories for granted, but I'm not seeing that. I'm seeing articles that talk about Dems overperforming lately, not Dems themselves excessively back-patting. 

I don’t think it’s backlash against the dems but rather a warning/guidance for people who think it’s going to be a slam dunk like Suh has indicated or people who may think it’s a good time to push further left/progressive as Red Denver seems to be indicating.

I’m old enough to remember another election that Trump couldn’t win…. Some of us don’t want to see that happen. The dems need to let the magats complete their party implosion.

• TBH 1
10 hours ago, funhusker said:

Should minimum wage be the same in Fremont, NE as it is in San Francisco, CA?

Are there potentially any other factors there?

Dont be silly.  There is a ton of difference.

ps:  how is an “art history” major going to  positively effect the business market.  Outside of the very few jobs trading masterpieces between millionaires?

I thought you meant a minimum wage set by market forces, not by geographic market. Yeah, there are some variables worth addressing, but the current minimum wage no longer reflects the cost of living as it did 40 or 50 years ago, including Fremont, NE. Raising the minimum wage is no extremist agenda, it's got a 60% approval rating. Although small businesses (and franchise foods) have obvious issues with it, a livable wage improves employee retention and performance in businesses that typically suffer high turnover.  

The business sector directly benefits from a better educated workforce, and tech companies have been filling their ranks with the college educated from other countries, notably India. We can discuss the value of specific majors, but as you know it's mostly about the piece of paper. My wife was one of those art history majors at a little known school who went on to be a successful project manager for a fintech company, where no one expected or asked her to bring her knowledge of Middle Ages Tapestries (her actual thesis). Also, it doesn't help the economy in any way when students in modest-salary careers are getting their first jobs while $80,000 - $200,000 in debt. 

A lot of progressive proposals have actually done the math and found a pretty logical payoff in the long run. It's ironic, given that conservative ideology used to plead pragmatics, patience, and a broader-thinking return on investment. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
42 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t think it’s backlash against the dems but rather a warning/guidance for people who think it’s going to be a slam dunk like Suh has indicated or people who may think it’s a good time to push further left/progressive as Red Denver seems to be indicating.

I’m old enough to remember another election that Trump couldn’t win…. Some of us don’t want to see that happen. The dems need to let the magats complete their party implosion.

This is where I am. I don't like any scenario where the Dems act cocky. They just need to keep their head down and take it race by race. 

We can fret about how far left or right the party should swing, but every candidate will be branded a commie by their GOP opponent. 

Rather than a rigid party platform, I think the key for both parties is finding better candidates. Smart, relatable people who can speak seamlessly from issue to issue and acknowledge the difficulties and differences in their communities. Less polarizing, less fear-mongering. I don't know anything about the two new Democratic mayors, but I'd like to think you could see them speak on camera and immediately recognize their appeal. 

• Plus1 2
57 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I thought you meant a minimum wage set by market forces, not by geographic market. Yeah, there are some variables worth addressing, but the current minimum wage no longer reflects the cost of living as it did 40 or 50 years ago, including Fremont, NE. Raising the minimum wage is no extremist agenda, it's got a 60% approval rating. Although small businesses (and franchise foods) have obvious issues with it, a livable wage improves employee retention and performance in businesses that typically suffer high turnover.  

The business sector directly benefits from a better educated workforce, and tech companies have been filling their ranks with the college educated from other countries, notably India. We can discuss the value of specific majors, but as you know it's mostly about the piece of paper. My wife was one of those art history majors at a little known school who went on to be a successful project manager for a fintech company, where no one expected or asked her to bring her knowledge of Middle Ages Tapestries (her actual thesis). Also, it doesn't help the economy in any way when students in modest-salary careers are getting their first jobs while $80,000 - $200,000 in debt. 

A lot of progressive proposals have actually done the math and found a pretty logical payoff in the long run. It's ironic, given that conservative ideology used to plead pragmatics, patience, and a broader-thinking return on investment. 

That's not my "laughy face" btw.

I was a little "over the top" with my Art History comment.  I understand that many people are crippled with school debt and it actually effects how people spend money.  

I'm very much okay with govt stepping in and helping people with college.  But I do think it needs to be focused in certain areas: teachers, medical, computer science, trades, etc.  Maybe if an "Art History" major ends up working in a field that has high demand the govt could then forgive those loans.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

That's not my "laughy face" btw.

I was a little "over the top" with my Art History comment.  I understand that many people are crippled with school debt and it actually effects how people spend money.  

I'm very much okay with govt stepping in and helping people with college.  But I do think it needs to be focused in certain areas: teachers, medical, computer science, trades, etc.  Maybe if an "Art History" major ends up working in a field that has high demand the govt could then forgive those loans.

Yep. I’m not a fan of school loan forgiveness for any major but I would like to see some things done to help lower the cost of higher education and to encourage people towards majors/careers that would be more useful to society.

I understand many have gotten in way over their heads with loans but I just don’t see where that should be passed on to taxpayers who did not make that choice. Those people signed loan papers and should’ve understood what they were committing to. We used home equity to help pay for our daughter’s education, I shouldn’t have to also pay for others.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
39 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. I’m not a fan of school loan forgiveness for any major but I would like to see some things done to help lower the cost of higher education and to encourage people towards majors/careers that would be more useful to society.

I understand many have gotten in way over their heads with loans but I just don’t see where that should be passed on to taxpayers who did not make that choice. Those people signed loan papers and should’ve understood what they were committing to. We used home equity to help pay for our daughter’s education, I shouldn’t have to also pay for others.

Agree with all you said.   We could also allow student debt to be included in BK procedures.  

• Plus1 2

Go figure the Right's flavor of the day is a bit touched 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/18/conspiracy-theorists-to-address-us-house-subcommittee-watchdog-warns

O’Boyle is a prolific Covid-19 vaccine conspiracy theorist, and once compared Covid-19 vaccine mandates to the Nazi regime. He signed on to a major federal lawsuit against the Biden administration’s vaccine mandate for federal employees and once referred to a subset of vaccinated individuals involved in an FBI investigation as “blind sheep”.

The project says O’Boyle has supported and publicly engaged with an “early and prominent” QAnon influencer known as Tracy Diaz, who has been banned from Patreon, Facebook and Twitter and is labeled as an extremist by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

O’Boyle is an election denier who has liked tweets claiming “two blatantly stolen elections”. He claims the FBI has retaliated against him for resisting investigations into the January 6 insurrection, writing: “The government has an obsession with ‘Insurrectionists.’ They hate them. They [want to] round them up, hold them in perpetuity.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1