Biden's America

6 hours ago, funhusker said:

Should minimum wage be the same in Fremont, NE as it is in San Francisco, CA?

Are there potentially any other factors there?

Dont be silly.  There is a ton of difference.

ps:  how is an “art history” major going to  positively effect the business market.  Outside of the very few jobs trading masterpieces between millionaires?

How does a computer science major positively affect the market when they get burned out and switch to painting in a studio to follow a dream?

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

It's just amusing to me that conservatives show up and think the Dem party should do conservative things. But don't worry, as a progressive to the left of the Dems, I'm confident you've got a better chance of the Dem party doing what you want than I do.

Nobody is saying they want Dems to go all conservative. They are saying, don’t think that these wins automatically mean we want the most liberal policies possible. There’s room in the middle….or even middle left. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Sounds like we should be investing in more computer science majors.

Lovely....

Point being is that many people don't use their major in their chosen career. Who's to say what is and isn't a good major?

Obvious economic impact, like you chose, isn't all that easy to define either. That art history major could work in or curate a museum; contributing to tourism dollars that have significant impacts in cities. They could trade art as you mentioned. They could write journalists articles or books. They could become a professor themselves. I suppose they could even open their own gallery which would support their local economy as a small business. Or they could not use the major and go into a completely unrelated field. So again, who's to say what is and isn't a good major?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 1
29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nobody is saying they want Dems to go all conservative. They are saying, don’t think that these wins automatically mean we want the most liberal policies possible. There’s room in the middle….or even middle left. 

Ahhh the middle left.... Or what use to be known as centrism! :lol:

14 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Lovely....

Point being is that many people don't use their major in their chosen career. Who's to say what is and isn't a good major?

Obvious economic impact, like you chose, isn't all that easy to define either. That art history major could work in or curate a museum; contributing to tourism dollars that have significant impacts in cities. They could trade art as you mentioned. They could write journalists articles or books. They could become a professor themselves. I suppose they could even open their own gallery which would support their local economy as a small business. Or they could not use the major and go into a completely unrelated field. So again, who's to say what is and isn't a good major?

They could also b!^@h and moan and want their student loans paid for because they didn’t find a job that paid worth a crap :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Or another way to put it is, don’t mistake current support from the center right as validation or support for many liberal left positions. Dems are currently experiencing a lot of their support from people who have been alienated by Trump and MAGA. Pushing the issue too far left will drive many of them back into the arms of the crazies.

IMO, if either side would moderate a bit they would be almost unstoppable. I don’t think a 3rd party will ever be able to overcome the systemic barriers. The only hope is that one of the two current parties backs away from the ledge and, based on recent history, the dems seem the most likely to maintain their sanity.

• TBH 1
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm not understanding the backlash against the Dems. Am I missing where Dems are evincing invincibility in upcoming elections? Even the articles linked here don't say that. 

I don't see a backlash against Dems.  I see moderate people that are currently voting Dem because the Repubs have hitched a ride on the wacko train, hoping the Dems can be a party they can at least somewhat support.

That's not a backlash.  It's simply stating what you hope you have the chance to vote for in the future.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm not understanding the backlash against the Dems. Am I missing where Dems are evincing invincibility in upcoming elections? Even the articles linked here don't say that. 

There are people here who are more than obviously 'on the fence' democrats.  It's that simple.  They still don't like certain policies/laws being proposed etc etc or they don't like Biden, he's too old  etc, etc.

Like I said before in the end it doesn't matter.  The American public are fed up with today's Republican policies/laws and it is not only showing right now at the polls but I don't see that momentum stopping anytime in the foreseeable future.

The big question is when does this current MAGA Republican platform shift away from all things Trump/MAGA because as of now if that makes anyone feel better that isn't anywhere on the horizon.

FWIW.....i think the republican party is dead and the maggats are consuming what is left of the body.  there are not that many republicans left and they are being pushed out by MAGA.  our choices now are the democrats or the MAGA party. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

There are people here who are more than obviously 'on the fence' democrats.  It's that simple.  They still don't like certain policies/laws being proposed etc etc or they don't like Biden, he's too old  etc, etc.

Like I said before in the end it doesn't matter.  The American public are fed up with today's Republican policies/laws and it is not only showing right now at the polls but I don't see that momentum stopping anytime in the foreseeable future.

The big question is when does this current MAGA Republican platform shift away from all things Trump/MAGA because as of now if that makes anyone feel better that isn't anywhere on the horizon.

It will be interesting to watch.  If the Republicans continue to lose like they have the last couple elections, (we can only hope) people at the top of the party are finally going to wake up and say...."Oh crap....Trump and MAGA are the reasons why we are losing.  We should push away from them as hard as possible".  So.....then what exactly are they going to be the party of?  What policies are they going to push?  Are they going to become more moderate towards abortion?  Stop demonizing education?....etc.

18 minutes ago, commando said:

FWIW.....i think the republican party is dead and the maggats are consuming what is left of the body.  there are not that many republicans left and they are being pushed out by MAGA.  our choices now are the democrats or the MAGA party. 

I hadn't looked at this for a long time. LINK

Interestingly, the latest poll shows that 25% affiliate as a Republican, 25% affiliate as a Democrat and 49% affiliate as an independent.  And, also interestingly, Independents are evenly split as to which side they lean.

This should tell Dems that people leaving the Republican party aren't swarming to the Democrats.  We are tired of parties and will vote accordingly to whichever side is the most reasonable.  Right now, that's clearly the Dems.  But, it's not like they have this huge base that they can count on for the foreseeable future.  

In fact, party affiliation on the Dems side has dropped too.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It will be interesting to watch.  If the Republicans continue to lose like they have the last couple elections, (we can only hope) people at the top of the party are finally going to wake up and say...."Oh crap....Trump and MAGA are the reasons why we are losing.  We should push away from them as hard as possible".  So.....then what exactly are they going to be the party of?  What policies are they going to push?  Are they going to become more moderate towards abortion?  Stop demonizing education?....etc.

Yeah I've wondered the same.  What will the reborn anti MAGA Republican party shift to in terms of identity?  Do they only shed some things MAGA?  When does the scale start to tilt and when that happens like you said by how far?  '24 is not that far away and as of today there most certainly won't be any 'red wave' happening.  Quite the opposite as we're seeing already.  Maybe that's when.  

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I've wondered the same.  What will the reborn anti MAGA Republican party shift to in terms of identity?  Do they only shed some things MAGA?  When does the scale start to tilt and when that happens like you said by how far?  '24 is not that far away and as of today there most certainly won't be any 'red wave' happening.  Quite the opposite as we're seeing already.  Maybe that's when.  

Yeah...at least as of right now, 2024 looks like a disaster for the Repubs.  A sex offender fraud who is hated by the majority of Americans is the frontrunner.  In second place, a dude that wants so much to be like the front runner.  Down ticket races are filled with a bunch of wackos that worship the frontrunner.

But....a lot can change between now and then.  I have no clue what would cause that, but....things can change.