End of season in jeopardy?

HANC

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Do you have any source for the allegation that suicide rates will soar if we have a lockdown? Countries around the world have been in various states of lockdown throughout the pandemic. Have suicide rates "soared" in those countries? And if so, how do those suicide rates compare to deaths from COVID-19?

I can't find a source for the CDC and/or WHO saying spread "does not occur" in schools. High School kids definitely do contribute to spread, although it does appear that children 10 & under are not significant spreaders. High School kids have contributed, but at a lower rate than adults. 

FYI, our school district had a meeting last week about covid and whether to keep kids in school or go remote learning. One of the things that state health dept reported was that young kids didn't contract covid or spread it as easily as adults. However, new data is showing that teenagers get and spread covid more easily than adults even though teenagers tend to be asymptomatic, so teenagers might be super spreaders. I haven't seen the research papers on this though, so grain of salt.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

FYI, our school district had a meeting last week about covid and whether to keep kids in school or go remote learning. One of the things that state health dept reported was that young kids didn't contract covid or spread it as easily as adults. However, new data is showing that teenagers get and spread covid more easily than adults even though teenagers tend to be asymptomatic, so teenagers might be super spreaders. I haven't seen the research papers on this though, so grain of salt.

Most of the contract tracing in the HS aged group seems to show these kids are contracting the disease in the community, not at school and not spreading it much in the actual schools because of the good mitigation plans schools have.  

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Most of the contract tracing in the HS aged group seems to show these kids are contracting the disease in the community, not at school and not spreading it much in the actual schools because of the good mitigation plans schools have.  

The HS kids were remote learning at the beginning of the year, did in-school for about a month, and then went back to remote learning a few weeks ago.

21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The HS kids were remote learning at the beginning of the year, did in-school for about a month, and then went back to remote learning a few weeks ago.

That’s a bummer for them.  Our school district has been in hybrid mode since first week in October and the entire district had 59 cases last week so it’s going pretty well so far.  

• Plus1 2

Kids are super spreaders.

First, they don't know they have it, second they are kids.  

For every kid at my school that has it and is locked up...10 more have it and have not been tested.  They all hang out together, you think when they get in their cars at the end of the day that they all keep their mask on?  f#&% no...

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Telling people to shut the F up and stay home is not a good way to win people over.  

People should wear a mask.  However, Telling people to stay home is ignorant.  People have to make a living or suicide rates will soar.  People have to get their general medical check ups or deaths outside of COVID will soar.  

Kids NEED to be in school as much as possible or teen Suicides will SOAR.  WHO and CDC have both states that spread does not occur in school situations.  So stop blaming High School kids for spread.  

The CDC is saying that the majority of spread taking place now is because of small gatherings in homes.  If people want to make a difference then go about your lives in a respectful manner to keep the economy going, social distance, wear a mask, go to school, don’t have people over to your house if you live in a hot zone and avoid going to others for the time being.  

I don't see anything controversial or contradictory in this post. The mental health concerns for a lockdown, the affect on children, and the inequity of the economic consequences are well documented. Not sure if small gatherings in homes are now the focal point -- that's a new one to me -- but there is ample evidence that some reopening strategies are working and valuable, and others are not. 

There is a huge gap between COVID denial and mask-wearing politics, and a reasoned approach that takes mental, physical and financial health into consideration. 

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Talk of an increase in suicide isn't making the point people think it's making, because if we actually had full mask use we wouldn't need to have lockdowns, and the people who want to say the solution is worse than the problem are likely the same people who think we don't need to wear masks.

And in my post I said people should wear a mask.  Sorry you glossed over that point. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Kids are super spreaders.

First, they don't know they have it, second they are kids.  

For every kid at my school that has it and is locked up...10 more have it and have not been tested.  They all hang out together, you think when they get in their cars at the end of the day that they all keep their mask on?  f#&% no...

If we are going to keep saying follow the science (which we should), then everyone should acknowledge that to date, there are no scientific studies showing that schools are super spreading centers.  

• Plus1 2