Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

11 minutes ago, I am I said:

For all our faults and ability to lose/give away games...

there is one undeniable fact:

Frost is bringing back toughness. 

for the first time since Suh manhandled people 

We actually look tough. Damn it feels good to watch players look tough 

Ty Robinson is a beast 

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

14 of our points were defensive and yes I know one wasn’t a touchdown, but still. 

game looks a lot different if we don’t have those. Can we count on them every week? Last week our line TD was really a defensive TD. 

NU only scored 10 points off of turnovers.  The offense only got a FG after the CTB INT, after Warner dropped a sure TD.

I also get what you are saying, but the good part of Chin's D is creating turnovers and negative plays.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU only scored 10 points off of turnovers.  The offense only got a FG after the CTB INT, after Warner dropped a sure TD.

I also get what you are saying, but the good part of Chin's D is creating turnovers and negative plays.

Only scored one third of our points off turnovers? 

really just illuminating that if you look at the score only you might thing the offense is serviceable. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Only scored one third of our points off turnovers? 

really just illuminating that if you look at the score only you might thing the offense is serviceable. 

The offense didn't put up a ton of yards, and didn't put away Penn State in the 2nd half, so people are mad.  I get that.

However, the offense only had 1 turnover, and NU had a 2+ score lead for half of the game.  Yes, scoring TD's in the red zone would be better, but Frost went conservative and still got FG's.  Frost was playing the scoreboard.  One thing Frost said coming into the game was being able to find a way to score on a big play to help out the red-zone offense.  NU did that with that Betts pop-pass/jet sweep.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Nebraska is nowhere near good enough at running the football for their current approach to continue working. They have to go down the field at some point.

I agree, but with this style we can win games we should win.  We can beat minny, Illini and have Toss up games with Iowa and Purdue.   We could also adapt and build around what we do well.  Similar to having t-magic running the offense. 

27 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The offense didn't put up a ton of yards, and didn't put away Penn State in the 2nd half, so people are mad.  I get that.

However, the offense only had 1 turnover, and NU had a 2+ score lead for half of the game.  Yes, scoring TD's in the red zone would be better, but Frost went conservative and still got FG's.  Frost was playing the scoreboard.  One thing Frost said coming into the game was being able to find a way to score on a big play to help out the red-zone offense.  NU did that with that Betts pop-pass/jet sweep.

One nice play call. It was sweet

I am celebrating the win. The program needed this in the worst way. My concern would be our ability to make half time adjustments or to adjust on the fly to the teams halftime adjustments. We have only scored 6 2nd half points in 3 games this year.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
58 minutes ago, I am I said:

For all our faults and ability to lose/give away games...

there is one undeniable fact:

Frost is bringing back toughness. 

for the first time since Suh manhandled people 

We actually look tough. Damn it feels good to watch players look tough 

Play tough, not look tough  ;)  but I hear you.  We were popping some tackles today.  Dismuke needs to wrap up and drive as I am afraid he’s going to get hurt lowering his head.  Nelson is situational but has a lot to learn.  His motor and heart get him on the field.  We need energy at times on defense.  #DayByDay

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, HANC said:

I am celebrating the win. The program needed this in the worst way. My concern would be our ability to make half time adjustments or to adjust on the fly to the teams halftime adjustments. We have only scored 6 2nd half points in 3 games this year.

Yes. Records don't matter tonight. All we needed was a win.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1