Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

6 minutes ago, ndobney said:

I mean if you got something better say it. I find it more productive to find solutions to problems as oppose to just complaining about the topic. I mean I for one want to start winning these games!

Here's another chance for you: Should Martinez be benched this week against Minnesota?

22 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's been discussed ad nauseam. He knows he f#&%ed up, and takes responsibility. Adrian gives us the best chance of winning even with his turnovers. He's balled out this year and made mistakes, but he's also kept us in every game against top 10 opppnents. Smoother while competent is not ready to take over the team this year and be at Adrian's level. We are ride or die with Adrian this season. End of story.

These guys are college athletes, not NFL players. Show a little more respect.

Knowing you messed up and continuing to do it over and over and over and over and over again are two different things, and how am I being disrespectful it seems you are being disrespectful I'm about to hit the ignore button on you if you can't talk respectfully. I rather than have to see Adrian Martinez feel bad after the next close game we have fix the problem and just win it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I believe AM missed the inside cut, ensuring the first dish at a minimum.  Instead he went wide.  

I thought that too ever since the game.  However, rewatching it this morning, I don't think it was there like I remembered.  It was a very good defensive play.  Two defenders strung out 2AM and there was a third defender in the hole ready to plug it if he cuts in.  He might have gotten it, but it would have been a tough fight getting there.

24 minutes ago, Undone said:

Here's another chance for you: Should Martinez be benched this week against Minnesota?

No why would you bench him he's been great until crunch time. I think we need to focus on that part of the discussion. There are several options.

1. Sports phycologist

2. Team gets better and blows everyone out which isn't likely

3. Spend more practice time running the two min offense. Still not sure how much that will help cause the issue becomes when he gets nervous.

4. Keep Adrian Martinez in all game until crunch time than have your 2 nd qb run the two min drill in crunch time.

5. Season is lost look for someone that can get it done next year in the transfer portal

Not sure what is good hopefully some better options.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't think that's the answer. He makes too many plays that bails out or young, inexperienced and at time terrible offensive line. I do think it wouldn't be a bad idea for Frost to occasionally give Smothers a drive or two each game. Especially if the game is obviously in hand by either team. 3 of the last 4 games would not fit that narrative. But I think the next 2 games are games that Smothers can get some quality reps. One thing Frost has to do is develop the backup QBs. If he is still coach at Nebraska next year, he can't guarantee that AM will be the QB, and there is no way that he sticks around for much longer if there isn't another QB that can come in and keep the wheels from falling off

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I don't think that's the answer. He makes too many plays that bails out or young, inexperienced and at time terrible offensive line. I do think it wouldn't be a bad idea for Frost to occasionally give Smothers a drive or two each game. Especially if the game is obviously in hand by either team. 3 of the last 4 games would not fit that narrative. But I think the next 2 games are games that Smothers can get some quality reps. One thing Frost has to do is develop the backup QBs. If he is still coach at Nebraska next year, he can't guarantee that AM will be the QB, and there is no way that he sticks around for much longer if there isn't another QB that can come in and keep the wheels from falling off

Smothers has gotten playing time in situations like you describe.

23 minutes ago, ndobney said:

Knowing you messed up and continuing to do it over and over and over and over and over again are two different things, and how am I being disrespectful it seems you are being disrespectful I'm about to hit the ignore button on you if you can't talk respectfully. I rather than have to see Adrian Martinez feel bad after the next close game we have fix the problem and just win it.

You're calling him a choke artist. Pretty disrespectful.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I heard it noted that we seem to be averse to throwing the ball into the end zone.

I'd have to watch it again but I really think it should have been there.  We just completely whiffed on the down block from the outside.

#90 on Michigan sees the downblock coming as soon as Brewington goes into motion; tendancies get us in trouble, as he immediately reads outside QB power and focuses on setting the edge. Rahmir wiffs on his block as well; he gets good initial contact, but doesn't engage with his hands to drive the defender back. Sichterman also gets beat on his reach block; he never engages the LB; Corcoran ALSO gets beat by a spin move from Henderson; had these two sustained blocks, Adrian might have had the option to cut back up. As it stood, though; it was essentiall 4 on 1 on the outside edge. 

29 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You're calling him a choke artist. Pretty disrespectful.

That's what he is, like if we called a player that couldn't run a statue. Not used to attack him as a person it's used to describe how it plays in certain situations. I think he's a good kid and a great QB, but I'm very concerned about this. If it's not addressed we are going continue to lose close games which I'm tired of doing we all are. I for one do not want to lose to Iowa in the same matter we just lost to Michigan and I know there are plenty of people hear that are tired of Iowa fans. Unfortunately that's the path we seem to be heading down I'd like to avoid it.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

#90 on Michigan sees the downblock coming as soon as Brewington goes into motion; tendancies get us in trouble, as he immediately reads outside QB power and focuses on setting the edge. Rahmir wiffs on his block as well; he gets good initial contact, but doesn't engage with his hands to drive the defender back. Sichterman also gets beat on his reach block; he never engages the LB; Corcoran ALSO gets beat by a spin move from Henderson; had these two sustained blocks, Adrian might have had the option to cut back up. As it stood, though; it was essentiall 4 on 1 on the outside edge. 

Yeah, I really think with all that had Rahmir just gotten a solid block Martinez is probably in.

It's a little tougher to tell from the TV shot but in the stadium they showed a replay on a low angle behind the offense.  There was nowhere to go but to the corner.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I really think with all that had Rahmir just gotten a solid block Martinez is probably in.

It's a little tougher to tell from the TV shot but in the stadium they showed a replay on a low angle behind the offense.  There was nowhere to go but to the corner.

At the very least, Adrian would have gotten a first down. 

Rahmir is a very willing blocker, but he bowling balls his way into defenders as hard as he can. Sometimes it works wonders (Adrian's first TD against OU). Here, it get him in some trouble. 

17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If he hard plants upfield after the first few steps after going wide IMO he most definitely gets the first especially going in head first.  Not the touchdown though.

I don't really see how it's possible that he can "most definitely" get the first down but "not the touchdown" when they were one yard apart.

But, no, it might have looked on the TV angle that there was a lane there but there wasn't.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I don't really see how it's possible that he can "most definitely" get the first down but "not the touchdown" when they were one yard apart.

But, no, it might have looked on the TV angle that there was a lane there but there wasn't.

Because it’s AM vs 1 defender in the gap and all he has to do is not take a direct chest hit.   They meet at the two a and he can slip to the 1.  Getting to the goal line was harder.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I thought that too ever since the game.  However, rewatching it this morning, I don't think it was there like I remembered.  It was a very good defensive play.  Two defenders strung out 2AM and there was a third defender in the hole ready to plug it if he cuts in.  He might have gotten it, but it would have been a tough fight getting there.

One other note to this, it never should have come down to fourth down if AM hits Omar in even a moderate stride.  Bad throw cost a touchdown on that drive. 

• Plus1 3