Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

Still think a couple things continue to happen in some of these discussions:

1. Adrian's 2019 season sticks out to people and they maybe don't give a combined overview of 2018, 2019, & 2020.

2. There's a bit of a failure to zoom out and to see some of Martinez's turnovers from last season in the context that we really only had one dangerous playmaker besides Martinez on the offense (Wan'Dale), and he was closely defended most of the time. Mills was injured for part of this shortened season as well. Adrian was in my opinion trying to not do some of the things he did in 2019 and was a more decisive player, leading him to try to make runs when nothing else was there, and this lead to some fumbles.

Toure, Manning, & Martin have a lot to prove out there starting in game one. If the line pass blocks well and those three guys get open I really think this is a good offense. If those two things don't happen, well then we'll probably be a 5-7 or 6-6 team.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Thanks!

Again, I'm not saying he couldn't be better.

But others around him on the 2020 list include:

• Brady White who ran for a whopping -23 yards in his college career but got invited to an NFL camp.  
  • Phil Jurkovec who ran for all of 150 yards and is a possible first-rounder next year
  • Spencer Rattler who is a Heisman Trophy favorite this year and ran for 160 yards last year
  • Kellen Mond, NFL second-round draft pick who ran for 74 yards last year
  • Kyle Trask, NFL second-round pick who ran for 50 yards last year.

Martinez ran for 521 yards last year, more than all those guys combined.

Others around him in 2019 include:

• Jalen Hurts, second-round draft pick and NFL starter, ran for 233 yards that year
  • Justin Fields, #11 pick in the draft, ran for 484 yards that year
  • Brady White (again), -71 yards that year
  • Lynn Bowden, NFL draft pick as a RB

Martinez ran for 626 yards that year.

All things being considered, that's not terrible company to be in.  I think a lot of the anguish is because Martinez's mistakes are magnified for us because of the overall lack of success of the program.  And he simply has more exposure than most QBs do because of how much he runs, especially last year.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Thanks!

• Brady White who ran for a whopping -23 yards in his college career but got invited to an NFL camp.  
  • Phil Jurkovec who ran for all of 150 yards and is a possible first-rounder next year
  • Spencer Rattler who is a Heisman Trophy favorite this year and ran for 160 yards last year

• Jalen Hurts, second-round draft pick and NFL starter, ran for 233 yards that year

All things being considered, that's not terrible company to be in.  I think a lot of the anguish is because Martinez's mistakes are magnified for us because of the overall lack of success of the program.  And he simply has more exposure than most QBs do because of how much he runs, especially last year.

Most NFL teams could care less about the rushing stats of their future QBs. What they care about are passing stats and TD/Int ratios. You are quoting stats that dont matter to them at all. 

If it was all about rushing stats- the NFL team would be chasing down QBs from Army and Navy- they ARENT

Do you watch NFL games- understand what they are looking for?

YOu know Tim Tebow failed as an NFL QB right? He was a very good runner- THEY DONT CARE

1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Most NFL teams could care less about the rushing stats of their future QBs. What they care about are passing stats and TD/Int ratios. You are quoting stats that dont matter to them at all. 

If it was all about rushing stats- the NFL team would be chasing down QBs from Army and Navy- they ARENT

YOu know Tim Tebow failed as an NFL QB right? He was a very good runner- THEY DONT CARE

Who cares what the NFL cares about? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Who cares what the NFL cares about? 

Mavric does- talk to him :dunno

3 hours ago, Toe said:

Thanks!

Mavrics Post

11 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Obviously you don't know what NFL QBs look like and do now-a-days.

But that's not the point of my post.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Obviously you don't know what NFL QBs look like and do now-a-days.

But that's not the point of my post.

Last time we discussed QBs you said I had no clue what I was talking about- that I hadn't gone to the Spring Game because- you said Smothers competed for the Whites- and went against the best defense- on the reds. You Quoted some stats that were completely wrong. 

Well that turned out to not be true at all. You were the one that hadn't attended the Spring game or even watched it it seems. Are you saying now I haven't watched the NFL now too? Well I have

They aren't looking for Army and Navy QBs with great rushing stats. Adrian Martinez will not be playing in the NFL- neither will Luke McCaffrey or Smothers. 

Last time we discussed QBs you said I had no clue what I was talking about- that I hadn't gone to the Spring Game because- you said Smothers competed for the Whites- and went against the best defense- on the reds. You Quoted some stats that were completely wrong

This is a complete fabrication.  What I posted was completely accurate.

Well that turned out to not be true at all. You were the one that hadn't attended the Spring game or even watched it it seems. Are you saying now I haven't watched the NFL now too? Well I have

They aren't looking for Army and Navy QBs with great rushing stats. Adrian Martinez will not be playing in the NFL- neither will Luke McCaffrey or Smothers. 

No one said they are looking for Army and Navy QBs.  All I said was that despite all the hand-wringing about Martinez's supposed severe turnover issues he still only turned it over at a similar rate to some of the best QBs in college football.  And that at least some of his turnovers were due to more rushing exposure than those other guys.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No one said they are looking for Army and Navy QBs.  All I said was that despite all the hand-wringing about Martinez's supposed severe turnover issues he still only turned it over at a similar rate to some of the best QBs in college football.  And that at least some of his turnovers were due to more rushing exposure than those other guys.

It wasnt- you said Smothers played for the whites against the best D- the reds and that had to be taken into consideration and that I hadnt watched the game. I was at the game and wasnt impressed with Smothers passing at all. My contention is Smothers is just like the other QBs here- running first guys who havent panned out due to poor selection and poor development. 

Smothers threw 1 pass for the whites- the rest were for the reds against the whites.   https://www.huskermax.com/2021-nebraska-football-red-white-spring-game-stats/

You were wrong

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

It wasnt- you said Smothers played for the whites against the best D- the reds and that had to be taken into consideration and that I hadnt watched the game. I was at the game and wasnt impressed with Smothers passing at all. My contention is Smothers is just like the other QBs here- running first guys who havent panned out due to poor selection and poor development. 

Smothers threw 1 pass for the whites- the rest were for the reds against the whites.   https://www.huskermax.com/2021-nebraska-football-red-white-spring-game-stats/

You were wrong

Pretty sure you're now on a tangent that isn't addressing his point in this post:

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

You took that info from his post and then said this:

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

You understand the point he was trying to make, right? It wasn't about what NFL teams are looking for.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Martinez will NOT be playing in the NFL- take that to the bank. 

Can he have an average season and help NU get to 6-6 or 7-5- SURE

But someone that consistently plays like he has the last 2 seasons- doesnt change their stripes over night. Him in the top 10 in turnovers and being so careless with the ball just doesnt cut it. BUT hes the best chance we have at winning- thanks to our poor QB recruiting and development. Sadly it is what it is. That isnt a Sophomore slump, its a pattern of behaivior

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

You were wrong

You're the one who's wrong. Mavric said Smothers started for the whites, which he did, and he didn't say you hadn't watched the game,  he asked you if you watched the game. I've bolded the parts you're confused about in his post.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, Mavric said:

Did you watch or go to our Spring Game?

Martinez played the first series for the Red.  Smothers started for the White.  Tackles by the defense when Smothers was in there were by Kolarevic, Ty Robinson and Nelson.  Are those guys not 1s?

Just now, Nebraska55fan said:

Him in the top 10 in turnovers and being so careless with the ball just doesnt cut it. 

Mavric's point which you still haven't understood is that part of Martinez' high fumble count is due to higher useage.

Adrian fumbled once per every 74 carries in 2020. Spencer Rattler fumbled once every 26 carries, as one example.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

Thanks!

I think it’s fair to look at it like this but how do you reconcile the last game Martinez played in 2020?

Yes, he ran for 157 yards. Yes, his completion % was good. Let’s not forget he threw two picks and had 3 fumbles. 

That game in a nutshell is what we have seen for 2 years now. It’s also why he was benched mid season.

That game is also a good example of why Nebraska keeps coming up

short. You don’t normally turn the ball over 4 times and win, but Nebraska makes a habit of making every game hard due to our propensity to try and beat two teams every game (ourselves and the other team). 

Really hope these statistics change but nothing, even his last game, has shown me it will. Going to be another bumpy season if it doesn’t. 

• Plus1 1