Economy

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

By demographics, I'm referring to the ratio of older Americans - who collect social security and have high healthcare costs in Medicare - and that of prime age employees working to support them. 

The last time the United States had a balanced budget was in the late 1990s. Boomers were in their prime working ages (30-60 years old) and the number of older Americans - who had fewer childen during the Great Depression and during WWII -  Thus the ratio of employees/retirees was much less, leading to a surplus.

With the size of the Boomer generation in retirement, the current prime working age generation is not large enough to support a budget surplus. 

Add in plunging birth rates and it seems extremely unlikely the employee/retiree ratio will ever be at a point in which a balanced budget is possible. The political backlash against any cost cutting measures will grow more every year. 

Ok. Thank you.  I understand what you are getting at. 

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It would be nice if we figured out a way to not have to do this stupid dance and actually just understand we have to pay our bills.  Debate on spending is when the spending is approved.....not when the bill comes due.

Only one party seems to be doing this... As is tradition.

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It would be nice if we figured out a way to not have to do this stupid dance and actually just understand we have to pay our bills.  Debate on spending is when the spending is approved.....not when the bill comes due.

Only one party seems to be doing this... As is tradition.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This is the craziest job market that I have seen.  So many large scale layoffs, across a variety of industries, yet overall it’s a growing job market.  Usually those two things don’t happen together.  

Other than the tech industry, where is there mass layoffs?

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Other than the tech industry, where is there mass layoffs?

McDonalds just announced, fashion industry did Q1, GM I thought announced a layoff of white collar jobs, pharm/med device industry has, are one that come to mind right away. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

McDonalds just announced, fashion industry did Q1, GM I thought announced a layoff of white collar jobs, pharm/med device industry has, are one that come to mind right away. 

Not GM for now. 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/economy/general-motors-to-avoid-layoffs-for-now-after-thousands-of-salaried-workers-accept-buyouts

interestingly, McDonald’s is all white collar. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

This is the craziest job market that I have seen.  So many large scale layoffs, across a variety of industries, yet overall it’s a growing job market.  Usually those two things don’t happen together.  

My guess is that it's because the companies doing layoffs are doing them preemptively to juice their stock and not because they necessarily need to.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Not layoffs but teaching openings can't be filled.

Same with cops.

Not firemen though!

Serious question; would you be interested in starting a teacher career right now if you were in college?