Economy

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I can't remember what I was looking at the other day, but normally it was 4.99 and that day it was 5.38 (I think) and it just seemed like such an odd price on something that I pretty much buy all the time.

If you were to ask me one thing that I have not seen go up, I would say generic soda.  That is one thing I have not seen shoot up yet.

Don't jinx it.  I need my orange pop!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Silly economist.  I can name one - employee wages. 

And ALL these increases become less impactful if we were paying people a living wage.  The fact that prices are going up and the employees and the consumers are getting no additional benefits tells you everything you need to know about why.

Wages have not gone up?

They have in Omaha!

But I won't rest until we get the Montel Williams model for teachers passed.  That all teachers should start at 80,000 a year.

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

And ALL these increases become less impactful if we were paying people a living wage.  The fact that prices are going up and the employees and the consumers are getting no additional benefits tells you everything you need to know about why.

You saying wages aren’t going up??

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I believe you are referring to "Orange Oh" or perhaps "Orange Rush" Yummy!

Yeah!  Although I do grab Fanta on weekends.  Good fizz.  I was mostly disappointed that my store stopped carrying Tab.  Maybe a few years ago.  Because Jack and Tab (or Bourbon and Tab) is great combo.

Ok yall, sorry for derailing thread.  I will step aside now.  Carry on

44 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah!  Although I do grab Fanta on weekends.  Good fizz.  I was mostly disappointed that my store stopped carrying Tab.  Maybe a few years ago.  Because Jack and Tab (or Bourbon and Tab) is great combo.

Ok yall, sorry for derailing thread.  I will step aside now.  Carry on

Stopped carrying it?

More like Tab stopped getting made 25 years ago and they finally just sold their last 12 pack.  Hahahaha

46 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You saying wages aren’t going up??

I just had a student quit her 15 dollar an hour candy shop job to take a 17 dollar an hour Target job.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Wrong.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I’ve given my employees 2 raises this year. Decent ones. Not because I’ve had to yet but because it was the right thing to do. My other reason- I know wages are increasing everywhere and I don’t want to lose skilled tradesmen to other opportunities. And when I do need to replace them I don’t want huge sticker shock.

Initially I was worried about the economy/inflation and my rapidly and significant raw material increases (metals alone have increased in the range of 300%). But it’s not scaring off my customers and 2021 has been the best year by far in the 20+ years of my business. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wrong.

37 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve given my employees 2 raises this year. Decent ones. Not because I’ve had to yet but because it was the right thing to do. My other reason- I know wages are increasing everywhere and I don’t want to lose skilled tradesmen to other opportunities. And when I do need to replace them I don’t want huge sticker shock.

Initially I was worried about the economy/inflation and my rapidly and significant raw material increases (metals alone have increased in the range of 300%). But it’s not scaring off my customers and 2021 has been the best year by far in the 20+ years of my business. 

Are wages going up as fast as inflation? If not, then real wages are decreasing. Wages would have to rise more than inflation for real wages to actually be increasing.

I don't know the answer, just commenting that increasing wage payouts may not actually be increasing real wages.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Are wages going up as fast as inflation? If not, then real wages are decreasing. Wages would have to rise more than inflation for real wages to actually be increasing.

I don't know the answer, just commenting that increasing wage payouts may not actually be increasing real wages.

Yes. 

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I maybe don’t have a good answer for that but I have raised wages substantially more than the gubment’s stated 6.8% inflation rate. TBH, I don’t know what that really means. I’ve seen most household costs increase by more than 6.8% and my business costs have gone up a huge amount more than that. But I’m not going to triple my employees pay just because steel prices are insane. :lol:

• Plus1 1