Economy

44 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And employers can't figure out why it's so hard finding workers. Total mystery.

I’m sorry you don’t like our free market way of doing things that determines what people get paid. There are jobs that are not designed to raise a family on. Sorry, it’s just a fact. Let’s see what our economy and a liveable wage looks like if the greeter at Walmart or hotel housekeeping staff is getting paid $30-$40/hr. I was speaking directly to the notion that some warehouse workers were obviously being underpaid. Unskilled and uneducated folks are always going to have it rougher. Some people will always be in poverty. You could pay every single person $50 per hour more and guess what, the lowest paid will still be in poverty.

It’s not hard finding workers for employers that pay a decent, prevailing wage. Those that don’t can whine all they want. The bigger problem than some employers not paying enough (whatever enough is) is that US companies have to compete with overseas companies from China, Taiwan, Thailand etc. that use the equivalent of child and slave labor and no environmental protections. And people wonder why so much of our manufacturing is done out of country and so much of the economy is wrapped up in service places like Starbucks selling $8 coffee.

• Plus1 3
On 12/11/2021 at 8:09 PM, deedsker said:

Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hr.

Thanks for posting that. TBH I had no idea it was still that low. Maybe I should actually read the posters I am required to post at my business :lol: Although I do know Colorado has a minimum wage that is higher than the federal. The bigger issue though is that to my knowledge nobody is working doing anything for less than about $12/hr anywhere near here. I may be just not know about them but I can’t imagine an employer could staff a workforce at that wage. When fast food joints are starting over $15 and grocery store baggers are getting over $20, you’d be pretty hard pressed to find an employee for minimum wage.

That is why I push back on the notion that $8/hr candle factory workers must be being taken advantage of by the employer. Apparently that is the prevailing wage in the area. If it wasn’t, that company couldn’t find any workers for their factory. Id also hazard a guess that if they were forced to pay $12 or $15 per hour that they would quite quickly have no jobs for anyone. Then we could just buy something else from China and feel good about having no domestic jobs while unknown foreigners work for peanuts.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Thanks for posting that. TBH I had no idea it was still that low. Maybe I should actually read the posters I am required to post at my business :lol: Although I do know Colorado has a minimum wage that is higher than the federal. The bigger issue though is that to my knowledge nobody is working doing anything for less than about $12/hr anywhere near here. I may be just not know about them but I can’t imagine an employer could staff a workforce at that wage. When fast food joints are starting over $15 and grocery store baggers are getting over $20, you’d be pretty hard pressed to find an employee for minimum wage.

That is why I push back on the notion that $8/hr candle factory workers must be being taken advantage of by the employer. Apparently that is the prevailing wage in the area. If it wasn’t, that company couldn’t find any workers for their factory. Id also hazard a guess that if they were forced to pay $12 or $15 per hour that they would quite quickly have no jobs for anyone. Then we could just buy something else from China and feel good about having no domestic jobs while unknown foreigners work for peanuts.

Looks like 21 states have not increased their state’s minimum wage over the federal number with Kentucky being one of them.

https://minimumwage.com/in-your-state/

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

And employers can't figure out why it's so hard finding workers. Total mystery.

Was this business owner complaining about not being able to find employees?  Maybe he wasn't.

How does his situation have any indication on my situation when our starting wage is over twice as high as his average wage?

FYI....unemployment in my area is below 2%.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1714-S-10th-St-Mayfield-KY-42066/195005569_zpid/

Okay, screw it, I might move there!  500 dollars a month for that home?  

Mayfield cost of living is NICE!

But....yes....it's much cheaper to live there.

22% less than the national average.  Housing is 49% less.

https://www.areavibes.com/mayfield-ky/cost-of-living/

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

We need more. But nobody wants to fix that. 

we need to streamline the process and perhaps make it free to immigrate here.  most immigrants are dirt poor looking to move up in the world.  they don't have the money to pay all the legal fees to come here legally

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/nri/migrate/the-costs-of-immigrating-to-the-united-states/articleshow/82966455.cms

• Thanks 1